PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to share

blkrob
05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I had a pair in a 30g tank for 6 months and they just seemed like it wasn't going to work. I figured maybe it was 2 females with the amount of eggs. I moved them back to the community tank. A 135g full of tetra's, breeding like rabbits and a few future pairs. Would you believe I have/loosing as we speak free swimmers. They are trying to gather them up, but the tetra's pick off each one that venture's mm's away. Now I need to move them back and hope they breed again.

Thank you all for the vote of confidence and the knowledge to get this far!!!!

Robert

mmorris
05-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Sounds positive, Robert! A step closer! Keep us up to date. :)

blkrob
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
They have free swimmers again in the community tank. I should have moved them. I just don't have a tank set up for them right now. I'm thrilled to see them getting right again.

Robert

mmorris
05-19-2010, 08:50 AM
I just don't have a tank set up for them right now.

Robert

So....set one up! :)

blkrob
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
LOL. I'm moving in the next 3 weeks. I figure it will take them that long to get use to a new tank. I definitely have high hopes for them in the future.

I just watch and learn. I thought a saw a video once of fry using multiple parents in the wild. I was hoping to see if one of the other pairs would defend them from the tetra's. No luck so far. The fry have lasted a few minutes on other discus before the tetra's get them.

How much spawning is going on in the wild for them to make it? I understand broods need to be large, but wow. The odds are not in the favor. Looks like I have alot more reading to do!

Robert

David Rose
05-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Best of luck with the move and getting some free-swimmers again Robert!

Tito
05-19-2010, 04:50 PM
What kind of Tetras do you have?

blkrob
05-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I have rummy's, neon and gold tetra's. Let me tell you the gold tetra's breed like rabbits. I have thinned their herd a couple of times and the just keep it up. I think I pull about 30 or so every 3 months. I've actually considered trading some back to the store. They do however loss the strong gold coloring over a few generations. They are also the fish picking off the fry.

What tetra's do you keep?

Robert