PDA

View Full Version : new pair preparing to spawn

silverangel
05-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Hello ,
I have been here from a long time searching and reading post that gives me alot of usefull information that helped me alot while am trying to keep discus in healthy shape and trying to get to spawn , also trying to keep my self away from failer feelings with discus.

Finally got a pair that i notice they do the dancing and bowing and i sperated them yesterday in the community tank with a divider and today they are cleaing the heater its intersting seeing this happen.

my question its their first time , do i have to use Mythilen blue or anti fungy medcien like i used to do with angels . its thier first time and i dont want them to lose interest in it. also my water is not that clean as i saw you here maintain

grantbudd74
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
water: if they are pairing up it can't be that bed can it? Do your regular water changes of what ever it is you do and don't suddenly think you have to start 100% changes or the shock may upset them and your other fish.

Let them have a try at laying eggs but the heater is not the best place so get them a flower pot to spawn on. Your divider must not have holes. If you do get babies they will go through the holes and get eaten.

Why would you want to ad chemicals I have no idea? If your tank is old or your water is bad or something fair enough. Just let nature happen and enjoy the show. This is your first time so be patient. I have a pair that laid first time and I now have 50+ 3 week old fry all doing very well. I also have a pair that have laid over 12-15 times and eat all the eggs! I have another pair that have been dancing for over 4 months and done nothing! You want more???? Do you get the picture here? not all fish will give you what you really want so just watch them and learn but give them space and quiet.

You can not force things to happen so be consistent with water changes and don't try too hard! Pull the water flow back a little if it is fast moving and if you really want this to happen get a specific tank for breeding your fish its way easier than a divider.

What is your divider? how big are the holes?

I am looking at making dividers for breeding for sale. Still early days but my first one has come out very well..

mmorris
05-09-2010, 11:08 PM

do i have to use Mythilen blue or anti fungy medcien like i used to do with angels . its thier first time and i dont want them to lose interest in it. also my water is not that clean as i saw you here maintain

I highly recommend doing the wc's until your water is clean, clean, clean. Wipe down the inside and all surfaces, like heater, filter and any tubing and wires. I don't use any chemicals in my water. Lay the heater flat on the bottom of the tank so they don't lay eggs on it. As Grant said, get them a cone or flower pot to lay on. Good luck. :)

silverangel
05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the adivce
actually my water is not that bad i do wc 10 to 15 % every other day (3 times a week)

the divider that i use for now is glass divider but i plan if things went right and i saw eggs one day i will spearate the pair in thier own tank.

my pair still dancing and lose interest in cleaning the heater like before maybe they layed and eat the eggs !!

i have a question the room is totally dark at night for about 5 hours do i have to leave a source of light ?