View Full Version : Odd behavior

SHAD0W
05-09-2010, 08:17 PM
I noticed two of my discus seem to swim towards each other with their heads slightly tipped down untill they meet, then they'll kind of push into one another untill the other swims away, then the other will chase it slowly? They're swimming around together all the time too. Theres only these 2 discus doing this, the others are acting as normal. Whats going on?

William Palumbo
05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Sounds like pairing behaviour to me. Maybe you'll have a spawn shortly...Bill

Eddie
05-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Sounds like pairing behaviour to me. Maybe you'll have a spawn shortly...Bill

Ditto

SHAD0W
05-10-2010, 04:47 AM
I didn't think they were old enough to spawn? They're still only tennis ball size juvies?

Eddie
05-10-2010, 04:49 AM
I didn't think they were old enough to spawn? They're still only tennis ball size juvies?

Try to get a photo of them. Size is not an accurate way to gauge the age of discus. Also, some fish do actually reach sexual maturity at a very young age.

Eddie

SHAD0W
05-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I can get a picture of each fish no problem as they're constantly swimming next to each other, but catching them pushing on each other will be tough as it doesn't happen too often. I'll see what I can do.

Eddie
05-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I can get a picture of each fish no problem as they're constantly swimming next to each other, but catching them pushing on each other will be tough as it doesn't happen too often. I'll see what I can do.

If they are very young, they may just be fighting. Kind of like Rams, they like to crash into each other face first. Its typical cichlid aggression.