PDA

View Full Version : New water TODAY

Disgirl
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Today is the day my city adds chloramine to our already different water. Weeks ago we went from soft alkaline water to hard alkaline water, discus seem fine with it. But today they add 2.5-3.0 mg/L of chloramine to it. I am using Prime and have Safe to use too. Should I do smaller than my usual 50% every 48 hr. wc right out of the faucet for awhile? Wonder how much Prime or Safe to use in a 65 gal wc. Do I just trust what the container says to use?
Barb

Jhhnn
05-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Denver water has chloramines, if at a lower level, generally <2mg/L, sometimes half of that. So I normally dose at 2/3 of the amount recommended in the instructions on the smaller bottles intended for aquarium use.

On the bottle, the instructions are to use 5ml/50gal to remove 3mg/L of chloramine, which matches your situation. The instructions on the larger bottles are intended for ponds, where sunlight, surface area and high organics break down chloramines more quickly than in aquaria.

In your situation, I'd use ~1-1/2 capfuls for a 65gal water change, adding the prime first, then the water. For the first couple of weeks, I'd also change water when I could check the fish for a few hours afterwards- I wouldn't change water and go to bed immediately thereafter... Nor would I alter the water changing regimen at all.

More and more providers are switching to chloramines on a regular basis to improve quality for human consumption, but not everybody finds out in time to keep their fish healthy... It's very good that you have.

I really think that the smart answer is to use prime or similar even if your provider hasn't switched, because they probably will sometime in the next several years- no unpleasant surprises that way. When Denver Water switched years ago, the event was very poorly publicized, until aquarists started losing fish... one of those unintended and unanticipated consequences sort of things. Providers' focus is on human health, a good thing, but that can give them a blind spot wrt other uses of their product...

Spardas
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
For Safe:

Chloramine: use 5g (1tsp*)to each 950l (250gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).

At 3 mg/L, for 65 gallons, you should be using:

((250 gallons/ 65gallons)/5)*0.75))/5 = 0.195

So about 1/5 tsp of Safe for 65 gallons to treat Chloramine.

For Prime:

Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine.

((65/50) x 5 mL) x 0.75) = 4.875 mL for Prime to 65 gallons.

Disgirl
05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks so much guys! This is just what i needed to know. I am printing this page out to keep. We are indeed lucky that our water company has really worked to let us all know about the changes being made, switching from one aquifer to a different one, and posted on the front page of our local paper a few days ago. They even told us that fishkeepers need to be careful and treat their water. Thanks!
Barb:)

korbi_doc
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Wow Barb, you are indeed lucky to get this info in good time!! Here in lower Tn, am having the same pblm gettin' answers from an old man who supposedly runs things in Michie, tn, our provider, as I did when I got here 3 yrs ago...all day on phone got me nowhere....last wk the water main broke & took 5 days to repair...everything looks good & clear now, but!! anyway, he said they used chlorine (doesn't know what "chloramine" means), & PP to clear bacteria..so I guess I have to go with that...water is stored, heating it now & holding my breath tomorrow when I change it all...fingers crossed.....just hope I'm lucky...do have chlor- am- x, so maybe I'll use it anyway....

Dottie

Disgirl
05-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Good luck with your water Dottie! How about using Prime or Safe? I have always heard they are the best. I sure am counting on them. When I do my first wc with the new water tomorrow I will sure be watching closely. If the fish react any way do I just add extra Prime or Safe? It's not like I could do a new or fast wc, it is all the same water now.

Disgirl
05-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I did a 50% wc this eve. and added Prime. The fish had no idea that their new water has chloramine in it thank heavens! But I sure am glad the city let us know about it so I could make sure to treat the water with extra Prime.

Eddie
05-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Thats great to hear Barb! Glad the fishes had no idea. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

korbi_doc
05-15-2010, 11:15 AM
:) Well, did very small W/C in most tanks, & so far everyone seems fine..& did treat it with the Chlor am-x...so now I plan to make larger changes as usual, 50%.....what a relief that it is over for now.........my heart & prayers go out to those who've lost so much in Nashville area.....

Dottie

Disgirl
05-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Good to hear you are getting the water situation taken care of Dottie! I know flooding myself, since we live in hurricane country. Hope Nashville recovers soon and well. Been there and done that so I can sympathize...
Barb