PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible.....?

Sivasama
05-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I have one question and yes it comes from a newbie. I have seen newbies and veteran discus keepers with disease comments. Is it possible to have a disease free tank for the life of your fish or will you probably deal with something at some point in the life of your fish?

I'm sure all discus keepers go through some rough times keeping these fish in the beginning but I was just wondering if this is possible to achieve.

Tell the truth:)

Eddie
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I think that it is possible to work towards a disease free environment through strict procedures. It would be a long process to create this environment. Even then, there are forms of bacteria in all aquatic environments so its not possible to prevent everything from occurring.

A typical hobbyist, disease prevention is the most common practice. This is through strict quarantine and proper aquarium/water upkeep. Its all a matter of time before somebody has to deal with some sort of illness or disease. So no, I do not think it is possible go through the hobby without ever dealing with something.

Eddie

Sivasama
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
So would you say that most diseases with discus Are fairly treatable? I have struggled so far with different diseases. All my fault from lack of knowledge, not lack of effort. It can be funny to do something wrong for so long and think you are doing it right. I will keep at it though. I am struggling with gills. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't think I'm seeing things wrong. The fish have a clearish looking flap coming from under the gill cover. I don't think this is part of the cover? I should get a microscope so I know for sure. I don't know if taking a fish out and looking under the gill would be a good idea? If I get a scope how do you go about getting a culture from the fish? What is a good surface to put the fish on? Is there a good way to net fish out without stressing all the fish.....I know they will all dart if I try to net one. Sorry for all the questions but this is what's on my mind.:D

Eddie
05-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Anything can be treated but will it work, it depends on the condition of the fish and conditions required for the specific treatment.

If you could get a picture of the gill area, that would be great. Generally, you can see a slight clear area just behind the gill plate but it should remain protruding or hanging out.

Eddie

Sivasama
05-11-2010, 07:07 AM
I'll see if I can get a pic tonight. I don't know if I will be able to get in close enough on it to see it.

wesleydnunder
05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
I've had several disease-free tanks over the decades. As Eddie pointed out, strict quarantine, healthy diet, diligent maintenance and as stress-free an invironment as possible all go toward having healthy, happy fish for their entire lives. Right now I have a yoyo loach that I bought in 1989 and many of my fish are over ten yrs old.

Mark