PDA

View Full Version : Nets

dbfzurowski
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey guys.
Can someone please recommend a net i can buy that wont cause fin burn. Every once in a while i take my fish out and clean/bleach everything besides my bio filter. Sometimes i notice slight fin burn which heals really fast but still.
Thanks

DiscusOnly
05-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Not sure what is "good" but I like the Blue Ribbon easy catch net I got from AngelPlus. They were relatively cheap and I love the extra large 10" ones.

dbfzurowski
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey thanks,
sorry if i wasnt clear, i need a super soft net that wont cause any fin burn.

William Palumbo
05-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure if the net can cause any fin "burns". Maybe a few ruffled scales on the side of the fish. I never noticed any problem with the fins when netting fish. Sure it's from the net?...Bill

Darrell Ward
05-11-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm with Bill on this one. I've netted fish since 1969, and I never had any burning from a net. Maybe your burning comes from your use of bleach? I think your wasting your time anyway with this bleaching thing. If your tank has no sign of disease, why bother? Even if you had a disease in the tank, cleaning it all day long would do no good if you used the same bio media in the filter.
For what it's worth, I use the old fashioned wholesaler type pick nets, with the brass hardware and hardwood handles. They are super soft, and last a couple of lifetimes.

dbfzurowski
05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Yes theres some damage to the scales to but fins are my main consern. I bleach to bring back the fresh look, no algae ect. I'm sure its from my sand paper like net because some fish let me grab them and they dont experience any damage so i know its not the water. I'm looking on kensfish.com at the "soft" nets but i'm horrible with makin up my mind.

diamond_discus
05-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I recommend those fine mesh smartnets from DrFosterSmith.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19641

dbfzurowski
05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
thanks buddy