PDA

View Full Version : Breeding age.

dbfzurowski
05-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey guys.
I was wondering whats an average age for discus to start breeding? I've been reading around and some say 8 months and some say 2 years. I dont know if water has anything to do with it or not. I got preaty hard water here in chicago but i've read that people still get to breed them in harder water. My fish are about 8-10 months old and there is no breeding activity at all. I got one tank sitting around and i dont know if i should save it for breeding or not.
Thanks

mmorris
05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I think it's a bit early yet. Give it another six months or so. An extra tank is always good to have around - if it's empty.

MGKelly
05-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I think it's a bit early yet. Give it another six months or so. An extra tank is always good to have around - if it's empty.

LOL, you don't know how funny this is!:D

William Palumbo
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Dominik....I have had them spawn as early as 8 or 9 months. Usually the females mature first...make take the male past the 8 or 9 months to get it right. I have a tank of Altum SS's that are going on 1 1/2 years with no spawning behaviour yet. Being in Chicago tap water, which my fish are in as well, won't hinder their breeding readiness, they will still spawn. Getting the eggs to hatch is another story...Bill

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 09:01 AM
This is something that I talk about in my presentations. We have been inadvertently developing fish that grow faster and mature quicker then they do in the wild. Over the last 40+ years I am sure the following as taken place numerous times. ....A breeder gets in some new discus ( wild or domestic really does not matter ). They keep/raise them until they get a spawn. They now keep at least part of the spawn for their next generation. One of the first thing they cull for is slow growth. ( first emphasis on fast growth ). So they have lets say 25 fish that they grow out. The first 2 or 3 pairs that form are pulled out on put into breeding tanks, the rest normally sold. I mean how many pair do you need of the exact same thing? ( second emphasis on fast growth and first for early maturation ). Now continue this process for 40+ years and you end up with some lines that spawn very early. My guess for wild fish would be around 2 years. For domestics between 9 and 14 months.

-john

dbfzurowski
05-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys. Much apriciated

mmorris
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
The first 2 or 3 pairs that form are pulled out on put into breeding tanks, the rest normally sold.
-john

It's a pity it's the first, rather than the best.

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 01:18 PM
A lot of the time they are the same thing.

-john

mmorris
05-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Best shape breeds earliest? :confused:

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Now Martha there is no need to try to twist this thing.....

I am telling folks how a lot of discus line were developed. You have to remember that back in the '60's and 70's if someone got a pair of discus that would raise it was big, big news. While I am sure they were interested in quality fry in reality any fry was a big deal.

Often the healthiest, genetically superior fish will grow the fastest. I have not really studied body shapes in concern to growth, but would think that slow growers tend to be more football shaped and everyone else tends to be about the same in body shape. i.e. fish that mature in 9 months have the same probability to be well shaped as a fish that matures at 18 months.

-john

mmorris
05-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Now Martha there is no need to try to twist this thing.....

-johnNow John there is no need for that. When I said best, I meant the best shape.

Rod
05-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I think John is correct Matha, but he left out at least 1 selection criteria. Along with fast growth and early maturation, i would like to add best shaped. i would actually add more to the list again, like early color, pattern definition, strong color etc etc. At least in my own case this is exactly what happens. No discus is even considered unless it meets certain qualities. for my own purposes i would start out with 20 to 40 specimens and weed them down to the best couple of pairs.

mmorris
05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I, unfortunately, have to make the decision as to what to keep when the fry are only two months old. I cull the smaller ones, and choose for shape, size and early color. If it's two out of three, shape will have to be one of the criteria.

John_Nicholson
05-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I think John is correct Matha, but he left out at least 1 selection criteria. Along with fast growth and early maturation, i would like to add best shaped. i would actually add more to the list again, like early color, pattern definition, strong color etc etc. At least in my own case this is exactly what happens. No discus is even considered unless it meets certain qualities. for my own purposes i would start out with 20 to 40 specimens and weed them down to the best couple of pairs.

Your right Rod. I guess when things are so obvious I tend to leave them out.

-john