PDA

View Full Version : wriggler question

BiggDogg66
05-11-2010, 07:32 AM
I decided to give one of my paris a fighting chance so I put them in their own tank to breed and low and behold, I now have wrigglers.
My question: I have a sponge filter and an over the tank filter running. Should I shut them down? When? Which one? Both? What else should I be doing?

Eddie
05-11-2010, 08:51 AM
I'd remove the HOB and turn down the sponge or remove it completely. There are a few others who also use this method. Is the sponge dark in color? This will also attract the fry and I find it easier for the fry to attach to the parents with nothing dark in the tank.

Congrats on the wrigglers by the way!

All the best,

Eddie

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
I would leave the sponge filter and shut off the other. Other then that continue life as normal. Everyone has their own way of doing it, but I still feed and change water the same. Some people will lower the water half way, align their tanks to the north, bar their family's from entering, and sacrifice a chicken, but I only do that is the pair fails several attempts.....

-john

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Damnit I can never post faster then Eddie.

-john

Eddie
05-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I would leave the sponge filter and shut off the other. Other then that continue life as normal. Everyone has their own way of doing it, but I still feed and change water the same. Some people will lower the water half way, align their tanks to the north, bar their family's from entering, and sacrifice a chicken, but I only do that is the pair fails several attempts.....

-john

-john

Sorry John...if I would have known! It would be cool if a person's name could light up or blink when they were posting! LOL :D

Larry Bugg
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Definitely turn off the HOB. They will get sucked up.

My latest pair with wigglers are Piegon SS and they just don't darken up that much. When the wigglers went free swimming they were all over the place. I ended up pulling the sponge filter because the fry were indeed attracted to it and then I ended up dropping the water level leaving just enough for the parents to remain upright and stil be in the water, lol. Even with this I still have some of the fry that did not find their way to the parents.

With my other strains, I made no changes to the tank and had no problems.

BiggDogg66
05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
My pair is a blue cobalt and a blue diamond.

Okay, if I shut down both filters should I just leave an air-stone running?

How long is it okay for me to go without filtration running?

I have the sponge filter in the opposite corner of the tank from the spawn site, so I can monitor if the free swimmers begin to swarm it.

Should I do a water change before they start free swimming?

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Your pair should be able to darken up fine. Leave the sponge filter going and continue with your normal stuff. Here is the problems I see it. People will sometimes go out of their way to make things complicated. Don't do that unless you have too. Keep it simple. Keep the water clean and warm. Let the pair raise the fry. If you have multiple failures then lets make it complicated. I know it is exciting when you get your first success, but just relax and it will be fine. The only thing you have to do now is turn off/get rid of the HOB filter.

Good luck.

-john

Larry Bugg
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I know a lot of people are careful about doing W/C with eggs, wigglers or fry in the tank. I continue with my W/C routine as normal. The parents are use to my hands being in the tank.

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I know a lot of people are careful about doing W/C with eggs, wigglers or fry in the tank. I continue with my W/C routine as normal. The parents are use to my hands being in the tank.

Same here.

-john

mmorris
05-11-2010, 12:20 PM

-john

LOL

BiggDogg66
05-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Now the parents have moved the wrigglers to the sponge filter. Should I turn it off? What's next?

Eddie
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Now the parents have moved the wrigglers to the sponge filter. Should I turn it off? What's next?

If you can turn down the flow, it might help. ;)

John_Nicholson
05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I would just leave it alone. When they spawn in the wild does someone turn off the Amazon? Its really not this hard people....LOL.

-john

mmorris
05-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I would turn it down.

grantbudd74
05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Love the posts! This is a funny thread, just what I need at 5 in the morning b4 work! Tur of the amazon! You crack me up! Yes I think get in touch with the administrator and ask for our names in lights please...

Ok Im off to go slaughter a chicken and face east and wait for the sun to rise!

BiggDogg66
05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Fry are now free swimming and tagging along side mom and dad. There looks to be around 22 swimming around. They're kind of funny. Some swarm one of the parents while other are just darting around the tank.

How long will they feed on the parents before I need to introduce food. I understand baby brine should be the first thing I introduce. When should that take place?

Eddie
05-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Fry are now free swimming and tagging along side mom and dad. There looks to be around 22 swimming around. They're kind of funny. Some swarm one of the parents while other are just darting around the tank.

How long will they feed on the parents before I need to introduce food. I understand baby brine should be the first thing I introduce. When should that take place?

Thats great news! You'll get a million different answers on when to start live BBS. Anywhere from 2-7 days is the average of all the answers you will get. LOL

All the best,

Eddie

mmorris
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I begin on day 6 or 7. I've introduced it earlier and they didn't eat it. It just pollutes the tank. Others, though, have said they can get fry to eat it earlier. If you haven't hatched bbs before, now is the time to start practicing. :)

grantbudd74
05-15-2010, 07:51 AM
practice! make sure you do! really important stuff!