PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Equipment

Discus-n00b
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
With the NADA show coming up, as well as shows like the ACAs I thought this might be a good idea (at least for me) for those driving longer distances. You never know what you might see for sale at the shows, and if you take fish to the show you have to keep them alive. Whats on your list of "must haves" for a discus road trip traveling with fish?

-Buckets
-Coolers/styro boxes
-Prime (water conditioner)
-Battery powered air pumps?
-Meds/Trama kit?

Anything else? Please share your list.

Chad Hughes
05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
With the NADA show coming up, as well as shows like the ACAs I thought this might be a good idea (at least for me) for those driving longer distances. You never know what you might see for sale at the shows, and if you take fish to the show you have to keep them alive. Whats on your list of "must haves" for a discus road trip traveling with fish?

-Buckets
-Coolers/styro boxes
-Prime (water conditioner)
-Battery powered air pumps?
-Meds/Trama kit?

Anything else? Please share your list.

If you're driving a car that has a cigarette lighter, get your hands on a 500 watt power inverter. You can run your fish cooler with 100 watt heater and air pump straight off the vehicle power.

Hope that helps!

Discus-n00b
05-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Nice, didn't even think of that. Thanks Chad.

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Chad has you on the right path. I have hauled fish in 5 gallon buckets for up to 12 hours without heat or air, but having a power inverter ( you can get them at walmart for $30 or so )works best. As far as what kind of fish are going to be there....simply the best.

-john

JaredP
05-11-2010, 05:00 PM
One thing to note on power inverters although they may show "rated" to a certain fuse level, most cars ciggarette lighter circuits will not handle it. I like to run a dedicated circuit from the battery directly. You can use a 8gauge car sterio kit which will provide MORE then enough juice for a power inverter. Either that or make sure you carry plenty of extra fuses.

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I have run a small air pump and a 100 watt heater more then once without issue. Maybe I have been lucky I never had any issues.

-john

Chad Hughes
05-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, that's why I specified a 100 watt heater. DO NOT try and run a 300 watter off that outlet. You'll blow a fuse in the inverter or the car. Heaters have a fairly large current draw. Neither the cigarette lighter or the inverter can handle more than a 200 watt load with heater and air pump plugged in to it.

Hope that helps!

Discus_KC
05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Post 941 shows how I've been transporting fish for several years. Hope it helps.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=33166&highlight=discus_KC&page=63

Chad Hughes
05-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Post 941 shows how I've been transporting fish for several years. Hope it helps.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=33166&highlight=discus_KC&page=63

BINGO! Nice setup!

John_Nicholson
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Nice job Jack!

-john

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I wouldnt bother using a heater. So long as your fish are healthy and it isnt 20 below 0, they'll be fine. 2 things happen when the water is cooler. #1, cooler water can hold more oxygen. Granted a few degree temperature difference isnt going to make that big of a difference if its just a few fish, but if the hauling tank is stocked on the heavy side, every bit helps. #2, cooler fish breath slower. Slower breathing = less oxygen demand in the water. Now im not saying to let the water dip down into the 60's, but if it strays into the 70's they'll be fine.

Also, if you are going to be transporting the fish in a cooler, be sure to fill it up with as much water as possible. This will reduce the sloshing effect and will also reduce stress on the fish by not forcing them to be constantly correcting themselves to remain upright. "But shipping bags are only 1/3 of the way filled and those fish get sloshed around a lot during shipping".....I know that, but when shipping in bags you have no choice as you need to add in as much oxygen to the bag so that they atleast arrive alive (irregardless of stress). Adding salt to the transport water helps too. 1-3ppt (1 teaspoon/gallon/ppt) is the overall salinity goal to reduce osmoregulatory stress.

If you're really paranoid about the fish being stressed, add some tranquilizer like MS-222/Tricane or AquaCalm to sedate them a bit.

Either way, if you are attending the NADA show, you have no excuse to not bring fish (or bring them home).

-Ryan

Discus-n00b
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks all great suggestions. Unfortunently I'm having to cancel my trip to Dallas, Military needs me other places and I can't say no. :( Hurts. Maybe next time. This is still good info for travel.

Discus_KC
05-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks all great suggestions. Unfortunently I'm having to cancel my trip to Dallas, Military needs me other places and I can't say no. :( Hurts. Maybe next time. This is still good info for travel.

There will always be a next time. I'm on mandatory military duty that weekend so I know I won't be able to attend as well.

Jack