PDA

View Full Version : OK... I’ve gone BB now.

Colorado14erGuy
05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I’ve been using a Vortex Diatom Filter after my water changes and the tank would look sparkling clean for a few days, but then would start getting a little cloudy. This bothered me.

Two days ago I when turning on the tank lights I spooked my biggest discus and noticed that he kicked up a cloud of gunk from the bottom of the tank as he turned and scooted away. It was then I decided to go BB.

It was a painful process, but I eventually got all the gravel out of my tank last night and after running the Diatom filter for a few hours, I now have a sparkling BB tank.

But now I’m able to see every dropping of poo. What’s the best way to remove the poo from a BB tank?

DiscusOnly
05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
vaccum everyday.

Going to BB tank is like switching out your carpet with hardwood floor.

Colorado14erGuy
05-12-2010, 10:49 AM
vlam: Please pardon my ignorance, I'm new to this hobby.
What do you use to vaccum?

DiscusOnly
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
vlam: Please pardon my ignorance, I'm new to this hobby.
What do you use to vaccum?

You can use almost any type of gravel cleaner

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18377/si4403082/cl0/fluvaledgegravelcleaner

If you don't want to take out too much water, then get a 5/8" hose from your local Hardware and siphon it out into a 5gal bucket. The hardest part may be to start the siphon but you can always buy one of the siphon starter.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18377/si1378859/cl0/siphonstarterbulb

srusso
05-12-2010, 11:57 AM
You can use almost any type of gravel cleaner

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18377/si4403082/cl0/fluvaledgegravelcleaner

If you don't want to take out too much water, then get a 5/8" hose from your local Hardware and siphon it out into a 5gal bucket. The hardest part may be to start the siphon but you can always buy one of the siphon starter.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18377/si1378859/cl0/siphonstarterbulb

Wow it would be nice not to get a surprise load of nasty fish water in your mouth! It happens to me once in a blue! :o

DiscusOnly
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Wow it would be nice not to get a surprise load of nasty fish water in your mouth! It happens to me once in a blue! :o

I would advise against continuing to start your siphon with you mouth.

Darrell Ward
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
There should be no need to start a syphon with your mouth. Stick the tube completely under water, and raise it above the water level to start water running down the tube. Then shove the tube back under water before all the water runs out the tube. The syphon will start. It may take a few tries to get all the air out and get it going, but it will start. I can start a syphon on a 50' garden hose this way. I run it out the door, no buckets! :D

JL15219
05-13-2010, 11:52 PM
There should be no need to start a syphon with your mouth. Stick the tube completely under water, and raise it above the water level to start water running down the tube. Then shove the tube back under water before all the water runs out the tube. The syphon will start. It may take a few tries to get all the air out and get it going, but it will start. I can start a syphon on a 50' garden hose this way. I run it out the door, no buckets! :D

Yup that is the way I do it but my goes into the tub instead of outside too many flies and mosquitoes get in while the door is cracked open...

RodneyL001
05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Colorado14erGuy I hope you monitor your water because you may get a spike because you took out a lot of good bacteria with your gravel, I would have taken out a little at a time.

Jhhnn
05-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I use these, and a length of 1/2" or 5/8" vinyl tubing to the drain or bucket-

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100372238/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Online only... The pickup tube can be lengthened for deeper tanks. I buy extras, sacrifice some for parts to extend the others with nylon barbs from the hardware store...

I also put the discharge from canister filters pointing straight down in the back corner of the tank and the intake prefilter sponge up high in the other corner... poop gets herded into discreet areas, usually under the intake, for easy removal...

rickztahone
05-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Colorado14erGuy I hope you monitor your water because you may get a spike because you took out a lot of good bacteria with your gravel, I would have taken out a little at a time.

+1

srusso
05-20-2010, 11:20 AM
I would advise against continuing to start your siphon with you mouth.

Is it my health or the fish? LOL

I should do the same, I am not sure why I have been using buckets to pull water out, I could stick the tube right out the window!

jeff@zina.com
05-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Is it my health or the fish? LOL

It's a request from your girlfriend... :D

Jeff

calihawker
05-20-2010, 03:20 PM
It's a request from your girlfriend... :D

Jeff

LOL:D

srusso, it's your health you need to be concerned about.