PDA

View Full Version : Choosing background for discus planted tank

moneyLaw
05-13-2010, 01:22 AM
I have a dark blue background right now and my discus seems to be dark. Also my substrate right now is eco-complete which doesn't help. I am going to put playsand on top of eco-complete to make the substrate lighter and also thinking about switching the background.

So far my options are (what I can find online and local)

-light blue
-white
-typical planted aquarium background sold at petco
-sliver mirror
http://cgi.ebay.com/72-x-24-Aquarium-Background-Decor-Blue-Silver-Mirror-/290356851633?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439a9df3b1

I am leaning toward white background, but not sure how it will look. Also I am not sure what it will look like with "silver mirror."

Any suggestion on what I should go with? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks. Also if you have pictures of the tank with a particular background, that looks good for planted discus tank, please post it. Thanks.

Eddie
05-13-2010, 03:35 AM
I've always found the bottom to be the most important factor in darkening discus. Keep the bottom light or bright and they will not darken much against a black or dark background. ;)

Eddie

Wahter
05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Layering sand on top of eco complete is probably going to create a mess. Once you have plants in there and need to remove them, when you uproot them, they will pull up the eco complete with them. Also if you ever do any gravel vacuuming of any open areas, that too will bring the eco complete right up. Finally, the smaller grains of sand will trickle down into the eco complete.

I see people wanting to do the layering of sand all the time and it's a good idea, but chances are in the aquarium environment, it won't work in the long run.

As for backgrounds, if you have taller plants in the background, you won't need any printed or painted backgrounds.

Take a look at Amano's tanks; none of them have any backgrounds:
http://www.adana.co.jp/_e_gallery/

If you are set on having a background. I'd go with light blue.

Hope that helps,

Walter

moneyLaw
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I've always found the bottom to be the most important factor in darkening discus. Keep the bottom light or bright and they will not darken much against a black or dark background. ;)

Eddie

Thanks, Eddie.

Layering sand on top of eco complete is probably going to create a mess. Once you have plants in there and need to remove them, when you uproot them, they will pull up the eco complete with them. Also if you ever do any gravel vacuuming of any open areas, that too will bring the eco complete right up. Finally, the smaller grains of sand will trickle down into the eco complete.

I see people wanting to do the layering of sand all the time and it's a good idea, but chances are in the aquarium environment, it won't work in the long run.

As for backgrounds, if you have taller plants in the background, you won't need any printed or painted backgrounds.

Hope that helps,

Walter

Hi Walter,

Actually, you made a good point. I was worried about sand going down to the bottom too. I thought if I don't vacuum it deeply, it may be ok. Don't know what to do. What substrate do people with planted Discus tank use? Seems like all the substrate for plants are darker colors.

2wheelsx2
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Water movement and gravity is going to work against you for the sand. After a few weeks, all your sand is going to have sifted through the EC so that only the EC is on top, so it'll be a waste of your time, because the EC is light. If you're going to change the substrate, it's better to remove the whole thing. Another thing you may consider if you want to change is to get some red EC so that it's at least not black. That should work.

Sharkbait
05-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I have a 90 gallon planted tank...

Black background - the plants really pop. It's currently discus free though (still saving up) so I'm not sure what effect it will have on the fish.

My substrate is a pool filter sand on top of fluorite dark - it's a brownish red. I've had that substrate in there for quite some time and have had no problem with sand sifting through. It really brightens up the tank.

HOWEVER...for some reason recently, algae has started to develop on top of the sand...which is rather odd.

scottishbloke
05-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Hope that helps,

Walter

+1 This is great advice IMHO. Don't go for a mirrored background; a light blue will go nicely with the plants, much better than white, and the lighter color will help prevent your fish going dark or peppering. Like Eddie said, a light substrate really helps also; I've seen tanks with one side heavily planted in plant substrate, and contained in its designated area by hardscape features like rocks, big plant roots etc, with the other side sand only, which can be used as a feeding area that is much easier to keep clean.

My 2 cents,

Colin

moneyLaw
05-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your inputs, guys.

mjs020294
05-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Black background - the plants really pop. It's currently discus free though (still saving up) so I'm not sure what effect it will have on the fish.

A black background and dark substrate will make the Discus stay really dark

ExReefer
05-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Eddie

True! I have a black background, but I swaped my black Eco-Complete for pool filter sand. My discus colors are now back to normal.

Sharkbait
05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
A black background and dark substrate will make the Discus stay really dark

I have a black background, but my plants cover most of it. Fish stay their normal colours.

moneyLaw
05-18-2010, 01:14 AM
HI Sharkbait,

What color substrate do you have? I think what Eddie said about dark substrate more of a factor is true. I took out my background, but discus are still a bit dark because of eco-complete substrate.

ExReefer
05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
HI Sharkbait,

What color substrate do you have? I think what Eddie said about dark substrate more of a factor is true. I took out my background, but discus are still a bit dark because of eco-complete substrate.

This is true. I tried this first and eventually sucked it up and removed all my eco-complete. I used pool filter sand now. Plants are doing fine. It was a pain in butt, but the fish look better.

moneyLaw
05-18-2010, 10:56 AM

My substrate is a pool filter sand on top of fluorite dark - it's a brownish red. I've had that substrate in there for quite some time and have had no problem with sand sifting through. It really brightens up the tank.

HOWEVER...for some reason recently, algae has started to develop on top of the sand...which is rather odd.

Hi Sharkbait,
How long did you have sand over flourite? What size of sand do you use? I just want to do whether it is do-able since everyone seems to suggest it is not a good idea. I really don't like the dark substrate making discus dark and I am thinking about removing it. Thanks.

This is true. I tried this first and eventually sucked it up and removed all my eco-complete. I used pool filter sand now. Plants are doing fine. It was a pain in butt, but the fish look better.

Hi ExReefer,
Do you use any root tabs or fertilizer sticks? Or dose the water? Not sure what type of plants you have. I am also thinking about doing the same thing, but I don't want to have to buy root tabs every month. Thanks.

ExReefer
05-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi ExReefer,
Do you use any root tabs or fertilizer sticks? Or dose the water? Not sure what type of plants you have. I am also thinking about doing the same thing, but I don't want to have to buy root tabs every month. Thanks.

I dose the water column with CSM+B (micronutrients) after each water change. I change 50% every 4-5 days and siphon the pool filter sand where I can. I use root tabs near my Melon Swords because they feed heavily from their roots. I have a few Anubias without root tabs and they are growing new leaves. The rest of my plants feed through roots and the water column. I don’t supplement the water with any macronutrients since I feed my discus so heavily. I purposely keep a fair amount of stem plants (vals, ludwiga, wisteria) to soak up the nitrates caused by heavy feedings.

Another thing that helps is feeding clean foods. I feed freeze dried blackworms almost exclusively. Beefheart is too messy for a planted aquarium IMO. I only feed beefheart on my water change days. Otherwise, it’s FDBW’s, colorbits, bloodworms, and flake. My fish go nuts for FDBW’s.

One downside to the pool filter sand is that it’s really, really bright with my T5HO bulbs. I used to run three bulbs with my eco-complete, but now just two bulbs is making my fish a little more timid than I’d like. However, it hasn’t been that long since I switched over to pool filter sand so I think the fish are still getting used to change. The swap likely stressed them out. For example, before the change, they were eating all the foods I listed earlier. Now they only eat the FDBW’s. Their appetite will come back as they get used to their new substrate. I even mixed in some brown sand to darken up the pool sand a bit. It helped.

moneyLaw
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
What color is your pool filter sand? Is it white or natural sand color?

ExReefer
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
What color is your pool filter sand? Is it white or natural sand color?

Mostly white, but I mixed some darker tan sand with it. It's still really bright.

machine77
05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
I have the bottom of my tank white and the back black.. my fish have never peppered or even turned dark or slightly off shade.. Here you can see my tank for yourself! Hope you enjoy!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79377

Nolan

Sharkbait
05-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi Sharkbait,
How long did you have sand over flourite? What size of sand do you use? I just want to do whether it is do-able since everyone seems to suggest it is not a good idea. I really don't like the dark substrate making discus dark and I am thinking about removing it. Thanks.

Hi MoneyLaw,

I've had it over fluorite dark (not fluorite sand, just to clarify) for quite some time now...at least a year. Pool filter sand is pretty fine stuff and is holding up well. Granted, it IS mixing with the fluorite, especially when I churn it up to agitate the sand. However, I've got fluorite PRIMARILY where I have most of my plants.

It's important to have a good substrate like fluorite if you want the best for your plants - especially plants that have a deep root system. Root tabs are needed as well. This mix keeps the fish a better colour.

Keep in mind, that when you mix substrates, it's a pain in the *** (to near impossible) to remove and separate them, so make sure it's what you want to do before you do it, and that you won't be changing it anytime soon :)

Oh, and also...make sure whatever you put in for sand doesn't alter the PH. First time I tried to add a sandy path in my tank I put in a crushed coral. Yeah. SMRT.

Eddie
05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I have the bottom of my tank white and the back black.. my fish have never peppered or even turned dark or slightly off shade.. Here you can see my tank for yourself! Hope you enjoy!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79377

Nolan

Yup Nolan, fish look fantastic too!

moneyLaw
05-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi MoneyLaw,

I've had it over fluorite dark (not fluorite sand, just to clarify) for quite some time now...at least a year. Pool filter sand is pretty fine stuff and is holding up well. Granted, it IS mixing with the fluorite, especially when I churn it up to agitate the sand. However, I've got fluorite PRIMARILY where I have most of my plants.

It's important to have a good substrate like fluorite if you want the best for your plants - especially plants that have a deep root system. Root tabs are needed as well. This mix keeps the fish a better colour.

Keep in mind, that when you mix substrates, it's a pain in the *** (to near impossible) to remove and separate them, so make sure it's what you want to do before you do it, and that you won't be changing it anytime soon :)

Oh, and also...make sure whatever you put in for sand doesn't alter the PH. First time I tried to add a sandy path in my tank I put in a crushed coral. Yeah. SMRT.

Thanks, Sharkbait. I don't mean flourite sand. I meant pool sand over flourite. My biggest concern is eco-complete black and sand mixing together to create an ugly looking substrate. Do you have a picture of your tank (your substrate) so that I can see how it looks when the two (sand and flourite) are mixed. Thanks.

Hi Nolan,

Your fish look beautiful. :) btw: you have albinos and BDs, they don't show pepper at all under any condition. :)

Eddie
05-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Sharkbait. I don't mean flourite sand. I meant pool sand over flourite. My biggest concern is eco-complete black and sand mixing together to create an ugly looking substrate. Do you have a picture of your tank (your substrate) so that I can see how it looks when the two (sand and flourite) are mixed. Thanks.

Hi Nolan,

Your fish look beautiful. :) btw: you have albinos and BDs, they don't show pepper at all under any condition. :)

BD will darken over a dark substrate not pepper, as you can see, Nolan's are powder blue.

scottishbloke
05-18-2010, 08:54 PM

Here is a little trick for separating fish tank substrate, which came to me from my former job as an archaeologist. If you use a metal sieve with very fine mesh, it is often possible to separate most of the fluorite from the sand quite easily, though not 100% of it. Mesh screen lids from reptile tanks and house window bug screen panels often work well for this purpose. Shaking well during sieving, the sand will go to the bottom and pass through the mesh while the vast majority of the angular, larger grained fluorite is retained in the sieve. This will ONLY work well if the substrate is thoroughly dry prior to sieving, otherwise the damp/soggy sand grains will stick to everything and not go through the sieve holes; the same is also true if the sand grain size is too large (fine sand works the best). You will get sand that is "dirty" to some degree (has tiny fluorite inclusions in it) but you will also reclaim a LOT of clean fluorite that can be reused, especially since the LFS charges $25-30 per 15lb bag, not cheap...

HTH,

Colin

moneyLaw
05-19-2010, 01:13 AM
BD will darken over a dark substrate not pepper, as you can see, Nolan's are powder blue.

Thanks, Eddie. Yeah, my BD is a bit darker than his (from same source). That is the reason I want to take out my eco-complete :)