PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please!!

JL15219
05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I was doing my regular w/c on my QT where I have 3 small discus two 2in and one 1.5in well I stepped away for just a sec and when I came back the little one was stuck in the suction hose face first....his eye is bulging out his face look very pointy and the other two discus seem freaked out cant blame them I would be to.....but what should I do with the little one? Will he survive? Will his eye and face get better over time? Damn I feel so bad for him! :(

I added salt to help with the stress....:(

Disgirl
05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
A 1 1/2" baby discus is still delicate. It may or may not survive. Wait and see how it is in the morning, if still alive I would think there is a chance. In the meantime I would keep the water good and clean, warm and do use salt at 1 tbsp per 10 gal. No meds at this point. Good luck with the little one. We all make mistakes in the fish keeping hobby.
Barb

JL15219
05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks Barb I added one tablespoon per 10 gal like you said and added one extra.....I still feel really bad :(

DerekFF
05-16-2010, 03:35 AM
i scared mine tonight into ramming himself into the glass.....he floated on the surface for like 10 minutes but hes ok now. Sh*t happens

mmorris
05-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I was doing my regular w/c on my QT where I have 3 small discus two 2in and one 1.5in well I stepped away for just a sec and when I came back the little one was stuck in the suction hose face first....his eye is bulging out his face look very pointy and the other two discus seem freaked out cant blame them I would be to.....but what should I do with the little one? Will he survive? Will his eye and face get better over time? Damn I feel so bad for him! :(

I added salt to help with the stress....:(

I did that to a little juvie once. His face was pulverized, an eye was horribly swollen and there was lots of internal bleeding in his head. I was sure he wouldn't survive. I added nothing, and within a day or two, I couldn't tell which one it was. :)

JL15219
05-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I did that to a little juvie once. His face was pulverized, an eye was horribly swollen and there was lots of internal bleeding in his head. I was sure he wouldn't survive. I added nothing, and within a day or two, I couldn't tell which one it was. :)

Yeah that is exactly how mine is...he is still alive so I am hoping for the best......at least I am not the only one that has done this....:)

JL15219
05-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Just wanted to update the little guy seems to be doing better but his eye is still a little bigger than his other eye.

darkknight87
05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Ouch, that sucks.
I did it too, only it was a juvinile angel that got completely sucked up. He did not survive. I felt terrible.

mmorris
05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Just wanted to update the little guy seems to be doing better but his eye is still a little bigger than his other eye.

That's good news!

setarei
05-19-2010, 02:45 PM
It sound like he's almost better then. I was wondering if there's a "safety" feature you can add on to vacs to prevent these kind of accidents. Any thoughts?

Darrell Ward
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Glad your fish made it. Discus are a lot tougher than we give them credit for sometimes. I'm sure many of us have horror stories. I know I have a few, like discus ending up trapped in overflow boxes, water that leaked from shipping bags until only the fish's face was in water, etc... and they survived.:D

JL15219
05-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Glad your fish made it. Discus are a lot tougher than we give them credit for sometimes. I'm sure many of us have horror stories. I know I have a few, like discus ending up trapped in overflow boxes, water that leaked from shipping bags until only the fish's face was in water, etc... and they survived.:D

WOW that is crazy...I sure didnt think he was going to make it but he did....it just seems like they are a lot more sensitive than they really are....they are some tough SOBs for sure....

Lisa01
05-19-2010, 04:01 PM
I cut a larger mesh fish net, rubber banded it around the suction hose...

I no longer suck up fish, and it still gets the waste.....

I swear I had fish that wanted up the tube! (they were watching waaayyy to much Nemo)

Lisa

Discus master
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Shark Bait whoo haha shark bait whoo haha

srusso
05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
WOW that is crazy...I sure didnt think he was going to make it but he did....it just seems like they are a lot more sensitive than they really are....they are some tough SOBs for sure....

Post a big of the now healthy fish for us all :D

JL15219
05-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Post a big of the now healthy fish for us all :D

Well he is nothing nice to really look at it is still fairly small....no color or anything nice yet :)