PDA

View Full Version : Fertile discus eggs?

nc0gnet0
05-16-2010, 11:48 AM
On average, if a batch of eggs is unfetile, how long does it take them to all turn white?

Reason I ask is I have a pair that spawned in a community tank, while I hold no hope of getting any fry, I would like to be able to determine if I have a male and female or two females. I watched them as closely as possible during the spawn, but still am not sure. If only a few eggs turn white (<15%), is this a good indication the rest are viable, or does it take longer? If so how long? Tank temp is at 84 degrees.

db2inst1
05-16-2010, 01:23 PM
I would say 48hrs. Thats what i have noticed so far with my pair.

babers
05-16-2010, 01:39 PM
In my experience, it varies...I've had eggs turn white as early as 12 hours.

nc0gnet0
05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Well, lets see, they spawned at 10:00 pm last night. At 1:30 Eggs still there with maybe one or two that turned white. Left to do some shopping, came back and at roughly 3:30 pm they had already ate the eggs. Then, at 6:30, they had spawned again? This has got to be two females doesn't it?

So, when two females are spawning together, what exactly is the non-egg laying female doing? I mean both fish had there tubes(?) out.

nc0gnet0
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Well, lets see, they spawned at 10:00 pm last night. At 1:30pm the next day Eggs where still there with maybe one or two that turned white. Left to do some shopping, came back and at roughly 3:30 pm they had already ate the eggs. Then, at 6:30pm, they had spawned again? This has got to be two females doesn't it?

So, when two females are spawning together, what exactly is the non-egg laying female doing? I mean both fish had there tubes(?) out.

mmorris
05-17-2010, 05:17 PM
I've had females pair up and the non-egg laying one did everything I would expect a male to do except make passes. My experience in this is limited to a few female/female pairings though.

nc0gnet0
05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Well both fish are definatly making passes.......

Mr Wild
05-18-2010, 04:37 AM
I too have had this and I must say after many times removing one of them, then waiting some weeks for the pair bond to be broken (I thought) i WOULD PLACE HER BACK IN THE main TANK ONLY TO HAVE THEM PAIR UP AGAiN. oops sorry

I fixed it by selling one of them. Yes they both pass over the eggs and appear to be doing everything right but no eggs will ever come to anything of course. Mine would take turns like yours then one time they laid togther, boy I wish I could have fertilised that lot myself, the eggs were in their hundreds!

Good luck I could never break their bond so as I said I sold one of them.

Cheers

nc0gnet0
05-18-2010, 09:07 AM
it's actually a threesome. Not sure if they are all females or what.

grantbudd74
05-19-2010, 04:22 AM
I have 2 females laying right now and they turn white in a couple of hours..