PDA

View Full Version : 200L/ 3 week old fry and parents & work!

grantbudd74
05-17-2010, 04:25 AM
I have a 200l tank half full. 3 week old fry and mum and dad.

I am getting a few skinny fry as I am not there to feed them and have had to put down 3 due to weight lose and lack of growth and hovering on the surface.

Not too sure what to feed them as they are still too small to eat fry formula. I have powdered food which is a mixture of pellets and other foods like flake etc put through a coffee grinder.

Im thinking should I divide the tank and put powdered food in a timer. I;m away from the fry from 6 am to 3 pm. When im home they get a good feed of BBS etc.

Any advice out there please as I am getting scared Ill raise a bunch of runts!

mmorris
05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Yes, certainly an automatic feeder. I like the Eheim because it is designed so the food won't get moist and clog up the works. I assume you are feeding them well in the morning, when you return, and a couple more times before you go to bed. What else are you feeding them besides bbs? I don't know what the 'fry formula' is. Are you already feeding them this `mixture of pellets and other foods like flake etc put through a coffee grinder'? Why would you divide the tank?

Whoever said fish were relaxing, eh?

grantbudd74
05-17-2010, 03:22 PM
no not feeding in the morning as I am up at 05:30 for work. Fry formula is spectrurm fry stuff for discus but its too big. I throw in a bit of frozen discus mix as well but its all when I get home.

Im going to put some frozen food into the tank now but was worried it will mess the water while im away at work. Im running a canister filter so it will handle it

just new to this thats all. Not used to trying to feed such small fish. Also its lights out at this time of day does this matter? there is a moon light to help them get around so I guess not?

Yes in the feeder is about 5 different types of food ground up. I can only do BBS when Im home from work and I feed them fo hours before bed.

thx

mmorris
05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
no not feeding in the morning as I am up at 05:30 for work. I can only do BBS when Im home from work and I feed them fo hours before bed.

thx I am up before light in the winter so I leave the fry light on all night. That way they'll be ready to eat as soon as I get up. I do a wc before I leave for work and feed them bbs again and then I'm out the door. You feed them four hours before bed? So they're only eating between 3:00 and 6:00 pm?