PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the double metal stand for two 29g?

ExReefer
05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Can I put a 37g in place of one of the 29g's? On the top of course.

I'm talking about those metal double stands that fit two 29g. I'm wondering if this will be too much weight with a 37g.

hedut
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I use double stand for 2 29 gln but never try heavier than that:)

Wahter
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Do you know who makes that stand?

Aqueon (All Glass) says on a downloadable document that their "Twin Deluxe Metal Stand" can work with 20L, 29, and 37 gallon tanks.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19786.pdf

Walter

ExReefer
05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I use double stand for 2 29 gln but never try heavier than that:)

Well, the question is really can the double 29g stand handle the extra 85 lbs.? The difference btw a 29g and 37g is approx 85 lbs. filled with water.

I would think so. When they design these stands, they have to assume some people are going to load up two 29g's with gravel and rock and some won't. There has to be some additonal support built in for this. My 29g will be barebottom, so that should help offset the additional weight of the 37g.

fishorama
05-17-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a scrolled metal stand with a 20g long on the bottom & a 29 on top, it seems less than super stable on my wood floors. The 29 water shakes as I walk across the room :shocked: I'm not THAT chubby :o

Are you pretty tall? I don't think I could reach all the way down without standing on a chair LOL.

Jhhnn
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
I'd think it would be OK, but it really all depends on the stand itself. A lot of different outfits have used a lot of different designs over the years, making it near impossible to make a judgement from a distance, particularly w/o pics.

I would offer that good quality commercial metal stands are usually heavily overbuilt. OTOH, I don't know if there are engineering/ safety standards for aquarium stands, like there are for ladders or other kinds of equipment.

ExReefer
05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I have a scrolled metal stand with a 20g long on the bottom & a 29 on top, it seems less than super stable on my wood floors. The 29 water shakes as I walk across the room :shocked: I'm not THAT chubby :o

Are you pretty tall? I don't think I could reach all the way down without standing on a chair LOL.

Well, my tank room is located off the main part of the house. You can and only enter and exit the room, so foot traffic is minimal. I'm more concerned with the stand having the strength to hold the weight of a 37 gallon on top and 29 gallon on the bottom (like having the welds break loose or the standing bending). I think the tipping over risk is minimized with a tank on the bottom.

Yes, I'm 6' 1".

Jhhnn
05-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I'd hope that stand designers would engineer their stuff so that using any standard tank that would fit would be OK. I suspect that lots of aquarists have successfully done what you're asking about without giving it a second thought- "If it fits, it must be OK."

If the stand was acquired locally, firsthand, then you may be able to find out who made it, contact them directly. Or figure out a way to proof test it, out in the garage- maybe fill the lower aqaurium, put a plank across the top, have 3- 200lb people stand on it...

Otherwise, it's a judgement call...