PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tanks

nc0gnet0
05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
What is everyones ideal size of for a breeding tank? Also, I know that everyone hates black backgrounds, but does this apply for breeding tanks as well? I have a 29 gallon acryllic I want to use.

mmorris
05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I like the 29 gallon size. I don't recommend a black background, though. The fry are attracted to dark objects, and I think a black background would make it difficult for the fry to find the parents. I love black backgrounds - for my community tank. :)

Eddie
05-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I use 20s and 29s. Definitely skip the black background for a breeding tank.

nc0gnet0
05-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Any ideas on how to put a ight background on a 29 galon acrylic tank (that black back is the actual acryllic (embedded color).

I am thinking to cut a piece of acrylic to size, paint it white and silicone if over the back (from the inside).

pinoysport
05-17-2010, 06:48 PM
I like the 29 gallon size. I don't recommend a black background, though. The fry are attracted to dark objects, and I think a black background would make it difficult for the fry to find the parents. I love black backgrounds - for my community tank. :)

yep....

mmorris
05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Any ideas on how to put a ight background on a 29 galon acrylic tank (that black back is the actual acryllic (embedded color).

I am thinking to cut a piece of acrylic to size, paint it white and silicone if over the back (from the inside).

I don't recommend paint inside a tank, particularly a fry tank. Others use paint, but I'm not OK with the idea. I'm guessing matter would collect between the panels as well. You might check in with your local aquarium club, if you have one, and offer to trade with someone. You also might sell it on Craig's list and buy another.

DiscusOnly
05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I would not paint that acrylic tank for breeding purpose. Why? cause 29 gallons tank are cheap enough. Having to spend money for acrylic and paint plus the time involved, go out and get another 20 or 29 for breeding.

Willie
05-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Cary Strong explained this to me a long time ago. The size of the tank depends on the fertility of the pair. If you have very prolific discus, spawn them in a large tank. When the fry are ready, remove the parents. It makes so much sense....

As for me, I prefer 40 Breeders which are easy to keep clean. Cary painted his breeder tanks light blue and it worked for everything except Blue Diamonds. I cover all of mine with white styrofoam, and avoid breeding White Diamonds. :p

Willie

NunoDinis
05-18-2010, 05:49 AM
In my experience, i have 29g for breeding.
I dont paint them, just use light blue paper on the outside, and live one of the sides open.
There are two things that made me do this, first the fries are atracted to dark colors and dont attach to the parents, secondly, if you have pigeon genes in that tank the pepper will show up, my experience, says that as darker the environment more pepper from discus with Pigeon gene.

Best regards.

grantbudd74
05-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Could you not get a section of background colour. The kind of stuff that has photos of plants etc, but get a white or blue background one. Cut it to size then get some aquarium safe silicon and simply glue it in place? This will never move and it will be safe. Or lash out on coloured acrylic.

nc0gnet0
05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I just bought a thin piece of acrylic, cut it to size, painted one side light almond color with krylon paint. Let it dry, and from the inside, attached it to the back acrylic panel, paint side in. Then sealed all the sides with aquarium silicone.