PDA

View Full Version : Some microscope pics

Double Up
05-18-2010, 01:43 AM
I found some intresting things in the tank my discus used to be in. All previous fish are dead(3 corys, 1 pleco, 2 discus) or in QT now(5 discus). The tank was still up and running so I started the disenfecting process today. I took a sample from the side of the tank and prepped a wet-mount. Check this out! The first pic is at 40x the 2nd is at 40x and the third is at 100x. I also had an 1000x pic of bacteria clusters as well but the file was too big.55815

Frankr409
05-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, in the tank where all this happened, did you have a UV running?

Double Up
05-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, in the tank where all this happened, did you have a UV running?

as in a uv filter? if so no.

Witos
05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Not to good.1st one is Lernaea(Anchor Worm)

Double Up
05-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Not to good.1st one is Lernaea(Anchor Worm)

Ouch, its says they are external and visible? is this true?

Frankr409
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Yes, external and visible, unless it is in the larval stage in which it is free swimming. Only the females infect fish, the males fertilize the females while she is attached to your fish.

The larvae are free swimming, and hence my point about the UV Sterilizer. The parents die off after the release of the larvae. Since the female "Anchors" into your fish, it can leave a nasty wound, and leave your fish open to a secondary infection. UV can help with that sort of thing also.

Anchor worm infection is fairly rare, and mostly found in outdoor ponds. If any of the Cory's came from an LFS my guess is that they were the culprit. Who really knows where they get Cory cats from.

Not sure what pictures 2/3 are, possibly Capillaria? (See Picture below)

http://www.medicine.cmu.ac.th/dept/parasite/nematode/Cphillipine_female.jpg

Best wishes to you on this.

Witos
05-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Anti-Fluke Life Bearer should help

Double Up
05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes, external and visible, unless it is in the larval stage in which it is free swimming. Only the females infect fish, the males fertilize the females while she is attached to your fish.

The larvae are free swimming, and hence my point about the UV Sterilizer. The parents die off after the release of the larvae. Since the female "Anchors" into your fish, it can leave a nasty wound, and leave your fish open to a secondary infection. UV can help with that sort of thing also.

Anchor worm infection is fairly rare, and mostly found in outdoor ponds. If any of the Cory's came from an LFS my guess is that they were the culprit. Who really knows where they get Cory cats from.

Not sure what pictures 2/3 are, possibly Capillaria? (See Picture below)

http://www.medicine.cmu.ac.th/dept/parasite/nematode/Cphillipine_female.jpg

Best wishes to you on this.

That is identical to what I saw. Cap worms huh?

Frankr409
05-18-2010, 05:28 PM
That is identical to what I saw. Cap worms huh?

Kind of what I thought.

If your existing fish are still infected, something like Disco-Med or Piperazine. Disco-med is easier on your fish. If the fish are eating you could try medicated food from a place like Ken's fish. He sells things that would help with internal parasitic infections.

Finally, I will also pass on to you the heat treat tip that I learned from Jack Wattley, which simply has you increasing the tank temperature to about 94 degrees for several days.

Double Up
05-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Kind of what I thought.

If your existing fish are still infected, something like Disco-Med or Piperazine. Disco-med is easier on your fish. If the fish are eating you could try medicated food from a place like Ken's fish. He sells things that would help with internal parasitic infections.

Finally, I will also pass on to you the heat treat tip that I learned from Jack Wattley, which simply has you increasing the tank temperature to about 94 degrees for several days.

I've got piper on hand, gonna start it.

Frankr409
05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I've got piper on hand, gonna start it.

Rock on...

As a historical record to others, and as a prophylaxis, i.e. a preventative (no not a prophylactic, i.e a rubber)

- Feed is available to help with some of the stress induced worming issues
Especially garlic in feed is a benefit. Too many reasons to go into the science lesson here.

- High temperature cure 94- 95 degrees has been a boon as well if you find that those fish are in an early stage of a parasite infection.

In the case mentioned here (although it was not mentioned) I am also guessing that the fish were consuming the food, but expelling it back into the water, with little or no further consumption.

jimg
05-18-2010, 09:22 PM
the first pic is a common freshwater scavenger don't remember name. the second I believe is nothing more than a common nematode and the last is a oligochaeta.
When I first got my scope I found the exact same things including ostracods and thought I found discus killers! they are all harmless.
The nemotodes I found when I looked at the slime on my r/o filter gaskets under the scope. So I know they came from town water because they are in the pre-filter gaskets before the membrane.
I am not positive on the second but it looks like what I have seen, not so much like the capillaria pics

Frankr409
05-18-2010, 09:50 PM
the first pic is a common freshwater scavenger don't remember name. the second I believe is nothing more than a common nematode and the last is a oligochaeta.
When I first got my scope I found the exact same things including ostracods and thought I found discus killers! they are all harmless.
The nemotodes I found when I looked at the slime on my r/o filter gaskets under the scope. So I know they came from town water because they are in the pre-filter gaskets before the membrane.
I am not positive on the second but it looks like what I have seen, not so much like the capillaria pics

Good point, and this is why it is important to evaluate.

Regarding what the OP has presented and described, i.e. He has several dead fish already, I do not believe that he had a harmless "nemotode" (sp) nematode

Double Up
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Good point, and this is why it is important to evaluate.

Regarding what the OP has presented and described, i.e. He has several dead fish already, I do not believe that he had a harmless "nemotode" (sp) nematode

Agreed, I started the piper.

jimg
05-21-2010, 06:32 AM
I would believe it to be something else. plecos and corys dying too? Those micro pics, imo, are common freshwater filter feeders. Or at least their common to my water.

Double Up
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I would believe it to be something else. plecos and corys dying too? Those micro pics, imo, are common freshwater filter feeders. Or at least their common to my water.

Yeah think your right, I just read Discus Health cover to cover and compared photos. On the other hand, they are responding well to Piperazine