PDA

View Full Version : Noobsauce question

Disease of Ease
05-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Hey im new to this forum and discus. I got four discus for free a few days ago and iv been wondering what you guys think about them. Are they stunted and could any of you guys possibly ID them for me?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2pdqyCUFd1qbvq7do1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1274499226&Signature=zET8vbOPCpDsUT4vLNzSJe2IFIw%3D

i know they dont do too well in planted tanks for noobs like me but its the only tank i could of put them in right now. I plan on putting them all in a 55g BB tank soon.

Eddie
05-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Yes, they are behind the power curve. Also, unfortunately I don't think they are gonna turn into any swans. :o Looks like 3 red turqs and 1 blue turq.

Welcome to Simply! Great to have no folks.

All the best,

Eddie

Disease of Ease
05-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Ah that sucks they are stunted. Since they are does that mean they wont grow much as of now or will they keep grown but at a way slower rate?

Eddie
05-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Ah that sucks they are stunted. Since they are does that mean they wont grow much as of now or will they keep grown but at a way slower rate?

They may not grow too much if any. Several indicators are the eye size compared to the body and also, a young fish will have very little color/pattern. These fish have alot of color and pattern for their size.

Eddie

Disease of Ease
05-21-2010, 12:07 AM
haha damn my hopes for better looking discus were shattered.

birdog
05-21-2010, 12:59 AM
haha damn my hopes for better looking discus were shattered.

Or you could look at it as a great opportunity to learn the way of the discus with fish that didn't cost you anything.

Eddie
05-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Or you could look at it as a great opportunity to learn the way of the discus with fish that didn't cost you anything.

So funny....the way of the discus. LOL

Spardas
05-21-2010, 01:36 PM
So funny....the way of the discus. LOL

Eddie,

Somehow, I just see you going to the NADA in a tai chi master's outfit and start explaining the Dao of Discus to everyone. :D

birdog
05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Eddie,

Somehow, I just see you going to the NADA in a tai chi master's outfit and start explaining the Dao of Discus to everyone. :D

LMAO

kitykatfunkiehat
05-21-2010, 02:05 PM
No kidding, Spardas. I'm kind of pissed I won't be there to see it.
OP-if these guys pique your interests, and you want to commit to discus, give them to someone else and start new with fish from the sponsors here!

Disease of Ease
05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
kittykat that sounds like a good idea but im gonna have to save a crapton of money,

kitykatfunkiehat
05-21-2010, 04:50 PM
They're a crapton of money anyways, lets be honest! Definitely worth the investment though. Ask anyone that!

Eddie
05-21-2010, 08:29 PM
kittykat that sounds like a good idea but im gonna have to save a crapton of money,

Not exactly, to be honest, take a look at the June shipment coming in from Forrest to Kenny. Some quality discus +/- 30 dollars a piece is a dream come true! I would have died and gone to heaven ten times over. Out here in Japan, the same discus goes for $120 each fish. Thats a crap ton of money! Then you get into the fully grown albinos.....its a house payment out here in Japan. :(

ockyra215
05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I say learn with these guys you cant hurt them any.Well you could kill them but get your feet wet and you to can be a DISCUS MASTER!
j/k hey keep them awhile learn of the hobby pass them on to someone else and get some new Discus!:D

Keith Perkins
05-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Who knows, 2 of these 4 could pair up, be awesome parents, and give you some awesome fry. Stunted adults don't result in stunted offspring, so the deal long term could be good. Unfortunately you should have at least a couple more so you don't end up having problems with extreme aggression and someone getting hurt. Got any other friends wanting to give you discus?

Discus master
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I say learn with these guys you cant hurt them any.Well you could kill them but get your feet wet and you to can be a DISCUS MASTER!
j/k hey keep them awhile learn of the hobby pass them on to someone else and get some new Discus!:D

Wow did I hear someone call my name, I am the discus master, lol not really I am oonly two months into it but Ithink I am doing well on my way to the discus master maybe in time grass hopper lol