PDA

View Full Version : red worm

redavenger
05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
is it true that you can feed discus live redworms

KeonTheKing
05-24-2010, 01:53 AM
do you mean bloodworms if so then yes but remember it is always safer to feed frozen as frozen foods are less likely to contain parasites.

LizStreithorst
05-24-2010, 01:38 PM
If you mean the earthworms called Red Wigglers the answer is also yes. They are an outstanding food.

Frankr409
05-24-2010, 05:47 PM
If you mean the earthworms called Red Wigglers the answer is also yes. They are an outstanding food.

Liz, if you feed these, do you do anything to prepare the worms? Where I am going with this is maybe freezing first a little and then a nice chop?

Any cleaning considerations?

LizStreithorst
05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
This is the way that I do mine so that I have a culture that sustains itself:

I put the main culture going in a large tub. If you only need a small number of worms for a tank of two you can use sweater boxes. If you need larger amounts, use 55 gallon tubs. Large surface area is better than smaller.

As you collect the small worms to feed (the ones without a big band around them) move the breeders(the ones with the band) to the other culture so they can reproduce in peace. No one, not even worms, likes to be disturbed while reproducing).

I start them in regular dirt and give them torn up strips of newspaper, cardboard, and vegetable waste from the kitchen.

Once you've gone through your main culture systematically from one end to the other you can start harvesting the little ones from the second culture. Give the breeders fresh dirt and food.

I should do a seminar on this. Everyone seems interested and it is soooooo easy.

Frankr409
05-25-2010, 09:44 PM
This is the way that I do mine so that I have a culture that sustains itself:

I put the main culture going in a large tub. If you only need a small number of worms for a tank of two you can use sweater boxes. If you need larger amounts, use 55 gallon tubs. Large surface area is better than smaller.

As you collect the small worms to feed (the ones without a big band around them) move the breeders(the ones with the band) to the other culture so they can reproduce in peace. No one, not even worms, likes to be disturbed while reproducing).

I start them in regular dirt and give them torn up strips of newspaper, cardboard, and vegetable waste from the kitchen.

Once you've gone through your main culture systematically from one end to the other you can start harvesting the little ones from the second culture. Give the breeders fresh dirt and food.

I should do a seminar on this. Everyone seems interested and it is soooooo easy.

You are a sweet-heart, thanks Liz!

LizStreithorst
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
You are a sweet-heart, thanks Liz!

My pleasure.

Used to be, people asked me about breeding Discs. These days I'm the worm queen. Both are good but I dream of better days to come.

John_Nicholson
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Liz when you come to the show you want to bring me some worms? I would like to get a culture of them going again.

-john

LizStreithorst
05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd love to John but when I moved I lost possession of my old culture and am working on making more. Right now I'm feeding very few of them so I can build up the culture.

John_Nicholson
05-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Ok. well if I get time to get a bin setup before the show I will try to order some and might send the extras home with you.

-john

LizStreithorst
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
You're a sweetie, John.