PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Light

var_abraham
05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a low voltage light that I used to have for my 10 gallon tank put on my 46 gallon discus tank. What I noticed is that as soon as the light is switched on , the discus get scared and hide in a corner.

Is there anything I can do for them to get over the light scare..

mmorris
05-25-2010, 09:42 PM
How long have you had them and how many do you have? Are you turning the light on when the room is dark?

var_abraham
05-25-2010, 09:45 PM
How long have you had them and how many do you have? Are you turning the light on when the room is dark?

I turn the light around 5pm or so when its still bright outside . It gets turned on by a timer and around 9.45 turn it off

mmorris
05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
How long have you had them and how many do you have?

birdog
05-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I have the same problem with my juvies (six), in my 90 gal. I turn the light on in the livingroom where I have them right before sun is down, I then turn the tank light on, sometimes they go hide in a corner and sometimes they act like nothing happened,I put one the blades from my window blinds under the bulb blocking a lot of the light to help them get over it, but yet it still depends what mood they're in.

var_abraham
05-26-2010, 11:53 AM
How long have you had them and how many do you have?

I have had them for 2 weeks now. I have 6 discus.

zamboniMan
05-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Put a night light on some where near the tank where the fish can see it. I know a lot of people put them behind their tanks but my discus seem a lot happier when they can actually see it which they can't when its behind the tank.

Hope that helps,
Josh

kaceyo
05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Being scared of light can be a sign that the fish are stressed. Try to figure out what it is that is keeping them so stressed out and fix it. Could be big pH difference between tank water and wc water, shadows, something in water etc etc.