PDA

View Full Version : Why Do you Breed Discus?

YSS
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Why do you guys breed discus? Is it in hopes of making money, just for fun, or some other reason? And if you are breeding to make money, are you actually successful? Just curious.

deepflyball
05-27-2010, 01:46 PM
1--Its hard to do
2-- Its a real neet experince.
3-- I am a hopeless fish nut

Jerry

William Palumbo
05-27-2010, 03:13 PM
I breed Discus mostly for fun. I love the sight of the parents with feeding fry. Money-wise, it usually cost more to breed and raise them, then what you'll actually make. Breaking even is a blessing. But it's cool to select certain fry that catch your eye for whatever reason, and keep them with the hopes of creating a new color or pattern. All in all...it's fun...Bill

YSS
05-27-2010, 11:14 PM
:)
I breed Discus mostly for fun. I love the sight of the parents with feeding fry. Money-wise, it usually cost more to breed and raise them, then what you'll actually make. Breaking even is a blessing. But it's cool to select certain fry that catch your eye for whatever reason, and keep them with the hopes of creating a new color or pattern. All in all...it's fun...Bill

Just realized I posted this thread in the wrong folder. Anyhow, I agree that the sight of discus raising their fry is pretty cool. If that ever happens in my display tank, it would be awesome. But for those who are breeding in a small scale to make money, I wonder how many actually end up making money. Math is easy. One spawn of 100 times $20 each is $2000.00 per spawn (sometimes you can get over 200 per spawn right? :D). One pair producing 6 batches per year (may be more?), that's $12,000 per pair per year. You have 20 pairs and wow, you are looking at $240K per year selling discus fry. People say that when something is too good to be true, it usually is. I am sure discus is not an exception. Now, I want to start breeding discus.

boonseong
05-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Sounds easy, but not all 200 will be viable for sale(culls and such). Also, don't you need alot of tanks so keep all the offspring?

William Palumbo
05-27-2010, 11:37 PM
LOL...Math IS easy...reality or life aint. True the numbers don't lie. Assuming all those 100 fry a near perfect...no culls, and you don't lose any to parasites or disease....you still have to feed them several times a day for at least 2 months...water changes, water conditioners and electric. It all adds up. Now hope you are lucky enough to sell all 100. And sell them fast. Local sales if you're lucky. Shipping helps to move fish, but now you have the expense of all the bags, boxes, styros, oxygen ect. The longer you hold on to the fish, the more it cuts into your "profit"...Bill

deepflyball
05-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Yep were all getting rich. Jerry

:)

Just realized I posted this thread in the wrong folder. Anyhow, I agree that the sight of discus raising their fry is pretty cool. If that ever happens in my display tank, it would be awesome. But for those who are breeding in a small scale to make money, I wonder how many actually end up making money. Math is easy. One spawn of 100 times $20 each is $2000.00 per spawn (sometimes you can get over 200 per spawn right? :D). One pair producing 6 batches per year (may be more?), that's $12,000 per pair per year. You have 20 pairs and wow, you are looking at $240K per year selling discus fry. People say that when something is too good to be true, it usually is. I am sure discus is not an exception. Now, I want to start breeding discus.

yim11
05-27-2010, 11:55 PM
And assuming $10/in" pricing he's talking 2" fish. That 2" mark ain't cheap! LOL

The way I've always heard it explained:

-> How to make a million dollars selling discus:
1) Start with 2 million dollars
:D

I do it because the fish want to and enjoy seeing the fish I've raised from wrigglers to adults.

-jim

LOL...Math IS easy...reality or life aint. True the numbers don't lie. Assuming all those 100 fry a near perfect...no culls, and you don't lose any to parasites or disease....you still have to feed them several times a day for at least 2 months...water changes, water conditioners and electric. It all adds up. Now hope you are lucky enough to sell all 100. And sell them fast. Local sales if you're lucky. Shipping helps to move fish, but now you have the expense of all the bags, boxes, styros, oxygen ect. The longer you hold on to the fish, the more it cuts into your "profit"...Bill

truc_tuyen
05-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I talk to a Vietnamese person who visit my house a few weeks back. He own a small land in Vietnam where its house three big ponds. He delicate one for Discus while the other for koi. Yes, your read it correctly, discus in pond. He have no problem of raising and breeding discus. Actually, they breed crazy. However, when it come to selling. No one, no I mean, not a lot of people buying willing to paid for them. Because he have so many discus, he usually sell those to people in pound. Yes, he sell discus in pound.

At the time he talk to me, he stop doing that. It does not make money as he said. Remember that he do not spend a lot of money on electric and food. Temp in vietnam is very hot everyday. He buy cheap stuff for food. Turn out those does not cost him a lot to raise but selling is the hard part

if you decide to breed, good luck. If i do it, it is just for the love of the game

brewmaster15
05-28-2010, 12:03 AM
I get an rush of endorphins from it.:D:D:D:D

-al

YSS
05-28-2010, 08:58 AM
The way I've always heard it explained:

-> How to make a million dollars selling discus:
1) Start with 2 million dollars
:D

I do it because the fish want to and enjoy seeing the fish I've raised from wrigglers to adults.

-jim

That's a good one. I hope no one goes in to discus breeding thinking they are going to make millions. :)

Eddie
05-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I get an rush of endorphins from it.:D:D:D:D

-al

Same here....

I also do it because I want to create perfection, something that can meet my standards. I have yet to do that, but I will one day. Its definitely not for any money, as Jim mentioned in a roundabout way, I've spent 10X more than I have ever got in return. Its my passion and a journey that I feel is money well spent. ;)

acroken
05-28-2010, 09:44 AM
I think it is a unique personality that drive certain people to this hobby and breeding discus. It could not be any easily with all that is available to us now. The thing that changed my views on this hobby and breeding was back in the early 90's when the discus market was on fire and many many people thought they would get rich pushing discus, most failed horribly. At that point i promised myself i would never let money interfere with my hobby. It cost a whole lot of money to raise these fry and as Bill said to break even is a huge accomplishment. I know a few have had great success, but if you really looked at the number of people who have attempted and those who have succeeded it becomes obvious how much work and dedication it really takes. Breeding discus is very rewarding for me, it fits well into my work ethic and personality. I am a perfectionist, so instead of driving others crazy reaching for perfection, i can put that on myself working with these fish.I do not care to make money at this and what i do make is only a small portion of what i send.I work for a living. I try and balance my life so this hobby has as little impact on my personal life as possible. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Kenny

brewmaster15
05-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I think it is a unique personality that drive certain people to this hobby and breeding discus. It could not be any easily now with all that is available to us now. The thing that changed my views on this hobby and breeding was back in the early 90's when the discus market was on fire and many many people thought they would get rich pushing discus, most failed horribly. At that point i promised myself i would never let money interfere with my hobby. It cost a whole lot of money to raise these fry and as Bill said to break even is a huge accomplishment. I know a few have had great success, but if you really looked at the number of people who have attempted and those who have succeeded it becomes obvious how much work and dedication it really takes. Breeding discus is very rewarding for me, it fits well into my work ethic and personality. I am a perfectionist, so instead of driving others crazy reaching for perfection, i can put that on myself working with these fish.I do not care to make money at this and what i do make is only a small portion of what i send.I work for a living. I try and balance my life so this hobby has as little impact on my personal life as possible. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Kenny

Excellent Post and explanation Kenny! I agree with you whole heartedly !:)

-al

John_Nicholson
05-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I do it for the fun and the friends. Besides for whatever reason it is easy for me...

-john

Keith Perkins
05-28-2010, 12:13 PM
My wife and friends, the two aren't mutually exclusive by the way, would certainly agree that it takes a unique personality and a perfectionist to be a discus breeder. I've been accused of both more than once. For me it's the sense of unique accomplishment, fun, and incredible emotion. It's been correctly said that discus bring the highest highs and the lowest lows. I've never found anything that's as frightening (wounded or ill fish), frustrating (egg and fry eaters), exhilarating (a swarm of fry eating beefheart from your hand, especially when they swim between the thumb and finger you're holding the food with), and rewarding (just sitting back and watching attached fry) all sometimes occurring within the same month. It's a challenge that you fool yourself into believing you're in control of from time to time, only to have the fish remind you that you're really not. I haven't been into the breeding part long enough to comment on the profitability yet, but that's certainly not nor ever will be my motivation. I'm building a small fishroom in the basement now so breakeven is a long way off. Especially since I've convinced my wife the discus need a 50" plasma so they can maintain the standard of living they've grown accustom to in our living room. :D

DonMD
05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm building a small fishroom in the basement now so breakeven is a long way off. Especially since I've convinced my wife the discus need a 50" plasma so they can maintain the standard of living they've grown accustom to in our living room. :D

I talk to a Vietnamese person who visit my house a few weeks back. He own a small land in Vietnam where its house three big ponds. He delicate one for Discus while the other for koi. Yes, your read it correctly, discus in pond.

There you have it, folks. The yin and the yang. About as far apart as is geographically and mentally possible. Except for one thing - we're all crazy about these fish!

Aquaben19
06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I have not made one single penny breeding Discus. The first reason is that I havent had any lay eggs. =)

The only money I have "made" in this hobby was when my Local Fish Store manager was, and still is, interested in buying my food mixes. But when you think about it... I have spent WAY more than I have Earned....

Passion first...

born2lovefish
06-02-2010, 08:06 AM
I had the owner of a pet shop tell me when I was younger to keep breeding angelfish and not switch to discus, if I wanted to make money at it. While discus sell for a high price, the average person in the pet store will not buy discus, due to the high price and other requirements. The owner told me they can sell 100-200 angels every week compared to a couple discus. Probably depends on your area though too.

I am planning on breeding my discus, when they get older, for the same reason I breed any other fish. It is a challenge at times and very rewarding and fun to raise the fry.

2075turner
06-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I too have gone into breeding in the past and loved it with the exeption of the bills involved with breeding. Everyone seems to think that because you have a pair of discus that breed for you that the fry don't cost you anything. I myself have a huge hydro and water bill compared to my relatives and friends and have been asked by them "why do I do it?" My simple explanation is that the fish make me happy. I love watching scools of fish swimming by and all as happy as can be. I watch these guys more than I watch TV or anything else asides from my kids that always seem to be getting into something. They are like an evening out, cigarettes, alcohol...(any other entertainment that cost money.) I plan on gettting back into breeding again as I have a little extra time on my hands, but it is a big time committment to raise these guys from the fry state, something that others don't take into consideration as well when I have people come by and have that look of $$$ in their eyes as they want breeders as well. Time, committment and that 2 million. That's all you need to make some cash, lol. If you consider breeding....do it for the love of the hobby! This is how I look at it....It makes me happy!

truc_tuyen
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
So far, most of us said that discus are hard to breed. It is totally difference from Lucky Tropical, this is what he said in other forum "Discus is very easy to raise and breed". Interesting

http://www.mondodiscus.com/discus/articles-in-english/lucky-tropical-on-mondodiscus.html

Carolina discus
06-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I have posted on the money making aspect in the past and will here again....forget about it! On paper your formulas look promising but as many have said....that is not reality. First, anyone can breed discus once...the real challange is having consistant spawns time after time...it is the hardest part of trying to breed and raise discus.....also, the buyers of discus still have trouble understanding what it takes for a US breeder to raise a hatch to 2" sellable size.....most will opt to pay $20 for a 3" football or hormoned discus than a 2" perfect shaped discus home bred discus. Several months ago, I had several conversations with customers about a sponser who is no longer a sponser here that was offering sub quality fish at cheap prices....most people know that a 3" fully patterned Red turk, Leopard, or LSS are hormoned but they still buy them as they think it is a better deal....and I can tell you it kills a business....why do you think there are no successful large scale US breeders around...or they only last a year or so....
Keep and breed discus for the love of the hobby or to creat a new or improved strain....there are some great discus being brought into the US from a few importers and we should take advantage of this and strive to breed them in our tanks.....
At the end of the day, it is about enjoying your hobby...and nothing can take the joy out of it than facing 2-3 hours of daily water changes at night to handle 3000 gal of water after working a full time job!

Peace,
eric

yikesjason
06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
So far, most of us said that discus are hard to breed. It is totally difference from Lucky Tropical, this is what he said in other forum "Discus is very easy to raise and breed". Interesting

http://www.mondodiscus.com/discus/articles-in-english/lucky-tropical-on-mondodiscus.html

That was a very interesting interview.

I don't have any discus breeding yet, but I bought from Hans, so it is just a matter of time. But I have breed a pair of angelfish for a little over a year. I have only raised a few small batches. But there is no way I could make money off them.

I do much better selling plants and co2 systems. I am no where near breaking even, but at least it pays for most upgrades.

Discus_KC
06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Why breed discus??

I'm half nuts and the other 50% wouldn't listen.

I was told I couldn't do it. I wouldn't let someone'a words prove me wrong.

My thought was I couldn't control what I bought but I had the most control over what I raised from an egg.

Had some good and bad along the way as I learned.

Jack

mutfish
06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Because dolphins take up too much space...

roclement
06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Because dolphins take up too much space...

funny...thanks for the laugh!

And I think Eric is on the money on his post!

I breed them because it entertains me, I guarantee you that it costs me more to breed them than what I can make from a spawn, this is after all my hobby do I do it for fun!

Rodrigo

mmorris
06-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I breed them because it entertains me,

Thanks! I needed the reminder. I have a batch of blue sapphires, a batch of red covers/golden reds, and a batch of turqs due to hatch tomorrow. I pulled the red cover fry this am to their own tank, and the parents are pecking at the cone as we speak. I'm tired. I need a nap. :o

YSS
06-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Glad to hear that most posted on this thread breed discus for the love, challenge, and fun. But somehow, I have a serious doubt that folks who buy "proven" pairs and post here that the pairs spawned have similar mentality. May be I am wrong. But when people spend $400 or more to buy a proven pair to breed discus, I am suspecting motivation behind that is something more than for the love or challenge.

Eddie
06-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Glad to hear that most posted on this thread breed discus for the love, challenge, and fun. But somehow, I have a serious doubt that folks who buy "proven" pairs and post here that the pairs spawned have similar mentality. May be I am wrong. But when people spend $400 or more to buy a proven pair to breed discus, I am suspecting motivation behind that is something more than for the love or challenge.

I wouldn't agree with that. I have bought one pair in all my time in keeping discus and this pair has produced fry for me ONLY one time. Am I disappointed, hell no, not even a smidgen. These fish were about $650 and I had no expectations to EVER make a penny. There is no demand for discus here in Okinawa, and it doesn't matter to me one bit. Its all about the experience for me. ;)

William Palumbo
06-05-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm with you on that Eddie. ALWAYS an experience. It was not until recently, could you buy a pair of Discus, no matter the price, and have them actually be a pair, let alone produce! Those days have changed. I had to wait many, many years in my early days with Discus to finally get a pair that got it right. Now for $400, you can have that privalige. And why not? A successful Discus spawn is an awesome sight, which most hobbyist long to see. And they should. It's just a helluva lot easier to accomplish that now a days. I don't think most on here buying those $400 pairs are looking to get rich. But just want to experience the highest moment in Discus keeping, when the adults are swarmed with fry. The ULTIMATE sight in this hobby...Bill

roclement
06-05-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm with you on that Eddie. ALWAYS an experience. It was not until recently, could you buy a pair of Discus, no matter the price, and have them actually be a pair, let alone produce! Those days have changed. I had to wait many, many years in my early days with Discus to finally get a pair that got it right. Now for $400, you can have that privalige. And why not? A successful Discus spawn is an awesome sight, which most hobbyist long to see. And they should. It's just a helluva lot easier to accomplish that now a days. I don't think most on here buying those $400 pairs are looking to get rich. But just want to experience the highest moment in Discus keeping, when the adults are swarmed with fry. The ULTIMATE sight in this hobby...Bill

I agree with Bill and Eddie! Since I was a kid with discus it was impossible for me to buy a proven pair, they were just too expensive so it was, buy 3 inch fish, grow them all out and if you are lucky you will get a pair that may or not be nice fish! That was my hobby.

Now I am an adult and better financially, being able to buy a proven pair of exeptional quality and have them breed is the equivalent to me of growing up and buying a porshe! It makes ne happy! Just a shift in the direction of my hobby, but just as fun!

As long as you are having fun, do what puts a smile on your face!

Rodrigo

YSS
06-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I stand corrected. Speaking of achievements, I would think having your pair breed and raise the fry in a community tank would be the ultimate. Has anyone here have achieved or know anyone who has? I've had wrigglers in my tank several times, but never beyond that..

LizStreithorst
06-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I can afford to do it. Making money would be nice. Some people manage to make a dollar at it. I did myself for a brief period.

I do it because I am a breeder at heart. The emotional pain that comes with the occasional disasters breeding mammals is too much for me. It can be hard with fish, too, but not AS hard.

Skip
09-22-2010, 12:42 PM
great experiences.. good thread!!

ChrisNif
09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm not in the breeding boat yet. Heck my tank is still cycling so blah...but I had 6 wattley discus (tefe green) back in the 90s and had one pair try right before I had to get rid of the tank because I graduated high school.

I'm going at it again, getting the smallest high quality fry I can find hopefully within a 4 hour drive of charlotte, give or take a few hours (May even drive to Rocky Mountain Discus as that would take care of some of my other desires)...

Anyway, why do I plan on getting fish and hoping they will breed? Because I've bred Convicts and they were too easy, Mbuna and they were fairly easy, Shell dwelling lake tanganyika cichlids and they are still easy, angels not so bad... I want a challenge, a million dollars for sure, and the beautiful sight of fry on the sides of the parents.

Willie
09-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Breeding discus is easy. Just take good care of the parents. Raising young discus is hard. You need to change water every day, along with lots of tank cleanings and multiple feedings with great food daily.

Watching adults carrying discus fry is an awesome sight that I never tire off, even after 10 years of breeding them. Making nightly water changes engender a different emotion...

Willie

cyril
09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
The next question should be how much does it cost to keep a pair of discus for a year ?

DiscusOnly
09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
The next question should be how much does it cost to keep a pair of discus for a year ?

Why does it matter? Not for one pair. There is a cost associated with this hobby and that is time and money for (food,electricity,water,equipments,etc)

ChrisNif
09-23-2010, 10:16 PM
I say the same thing, (maintenance) cost isn't, and shouldn't ever be a factor. Once I pay for the setup I don't care what my stuff runs per month because I don't notice.

I mean pumps, heaters, food, water...then think about the even more hidden costs, i.e. your AC runs more because the tank adds heat and moisture to the air in your home... I have never noticed much difference between 1 tank running versus 2 versus 4.

I did notice when I shut down my large reef but with 1200W of lighting it was over a dollar a day just to light the darn thing :)

Ronald
09-24-2010, 03:03 AM
For me it is just plain exciting to watch a pair raise there fry.

I seem to be too stupid to make money off it though hihi. I always end up on the minus side.

Years back I spoke with someone who just got into Discus. As we were chatting what his plans are (tanks, tanks, tanks) he mentioned that when he sees a tank with fry he does not see fish, he sees $$. Well I have not heard from him in a very loog time:D

discusmoose
10-15-2010, 02:01 AM
I breed to adict others,
Doc "B"

asifgy
10-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I breed mostly for fun, the amazment of people that come into my apartment. That alone is satisfaction.

PAR23
10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I agree with Bill and Eddie! Since I was a kid with discus it was impossible for me to buy a proven pair, they were just too expensive so it was, buy 3 inch fish, grow them all out and if you are lucky you will get a pair that may or not be nice fish! That was my hobby.

Now I am an adult and better financially, being able to buy a proven pair of exeptional quality and have them breed is the equivalent to me of growing up and buying a porshe! It makes ne happy! Just a shift in the direction of my hobby, but just as fun!

As long as you are having fun, do what puts a smile on your face!

Rodrigo

I am no discus breeder nor do I pretend to be.....heck, I am still learning how to keep these guys alive and healthy. Like Rod, I have been fortunate enough to be able to afford keeping discus. I recently bought some adults and unexpectedly they spawn few days after getting them home. I was able to share the moment with my family especially my 6 year old. It truly was priceless. For us, just the thrill of watching them lay eggs kept smiles on our faces for days. It truly is the passion and challenge that drives me. It has been a great ride thus far. :)

joshua 74
10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
i like to breed my discus because i think its exiting i love taking pics of them spawning. as for money probably cost me about$50 to raise them to 4cm witch is my selling size now the best out of the average 100 maybe 50% i will sell privately for $20 ea or3 for $50 and the rest i sell to the store or trade for supplys like food stress coat so on so all. the best store offer i have ever got is $5 per fish witch is very sad because iv seen them go for $50 ea a day after i trade them in.

anyway thats just me. i also like to improve every batch grow them faster more color better shape.

Tito
10-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I dont breed them....but I'm trying hehe.

Why - because I want to fill my 125 gallon tank with a whole bunch of Red Spotted Leopards!

wendy9722
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way about fish. Granted they are just fish but I love them to death. It reminds me of wanting my first child and my second child. Watching them grow and so forth. I personally love breeding of anything. I love seeing it happen. If I can get my hands in to help I will. It kinda also like opening a gift that you know that no one else has. It is so special to you. I already did cats, dogs, my personal children, cows, guppies, and platies. Now I want to shoot for discus and angels. Made it to the wiggler stage but not after that cuz they ate them. Still no success. So that gives me a goal to meet. Then after that is achieved. Then it will be raising them. After that I have to figuar out in the future. The experience of seeing new things that others stuff is priceless. Thats my 2 cents worth.
God bless ya'll fish nuts,
Wendy

SeaDragon
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I started it last spring hoping to get my hand into breeding fish one for the fun challenge of breeding Discus and I'm hopeing to make a bit of money at least enough to earn back what i paid for the parents would be great!

jimmyjoe
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
IMO breeding discus for the purpose of making a few bucks is not all it's cracked up to seem. Well atleast in my part of the country, Ohio. I have bred numerous species of discus and have tried to sell them locally but the ones that are interested expect for me to sell them at a ridiculous price, in the long run I would only be making half of what it took for me to get them to the selling size. Hey, I'd love to get free discus also but until Kenny and Han's and all the rest of the importers of really beautiful discus start giving them away I guess it will be just for fun. What I should really do is try to ship, maybe that's the answer to making a few bucks extra..............................Jim in Ohio

gwrace
06-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Breeding discus is easy. Just take good care of the parents. Raising young discus is hard. You need to change water every day, along with lots of tank cleanings and multiple feedings with great food daily.

Watching adults carrying discus fry is an awesome sight that I never tire off, even after 10 years of breeding them. Making nightly water changes engender a different emotion...

Willie

I would agree. I have three pairs in community tanks that have spawned multiple times producing wigglers and free swimmers. But each time they are eaten by the other fish. I've decided to move one pair into a newly cycled 29 gallon to see what happens without interference from the other fish. All the pairs attempt to defend the eggs and young but it's just a losing affair with no tank divider. I felt sorry for them. They have tried so hard to spawn I wanted to give them another chance.

MostlyDiscus
06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
I really really get a kick out of seeing a few nice discus comming out of a spawn of 100 fry. When you sit down and think of the great quality of fish comming from Kenny and Mike you come to realize that those breeders are breeding 10s of thousands of discus. I live for the sports that manifest once in a while. I hope one day to have a intresting and one of a kind discus. I know that I will NEVER make good money selling discus.

Ed

ericatdallas
06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm looking into breeding them now for fun. My goal isn't necessarily to make money, but it would be nice to have fish to barter with or sell to offset the total cost of the hobby.

Even if it brings back 10% of the money I invested, at least it's 10% I have to spend elsewhere.

YSS
06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I would agree. I have three pairs in community tanks that have spawned multiple times producing wigglers and free swimmers. But each time they are eaten by the other fish. I've decided to move one pair into a newly cycled 29 gallon to see what happens without interference from the other fish. All the pairs attempt to defend the eggs and young but it's just a losing affair with no tank divider. I felt sorry for them. They have tried so hard to spawn I wanted to give them another chance.

Breeding already paired disucs may be easy, but is it as easy to pair a nice male and female discus you really want to breed? You see stupid pairs all the time here, like a BD and a snakeskin because they happened to pair in their community tank.

William Palumbo
06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
BDxSS=Blue Scorpion. Not sure if that's so "stupid"...Bill

roclement
06-29-2011, 01:21 PM

: )

YSS
06-29-2011, 01:27 PM

If that' not stupid, then you can put any two that will make it stupid. :-) May be there's not stupid pair in discus. May be any two makes a new strain and you are pioneer.

MostlyDiscus
06-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Still have to agree with yss though, there are alot of discus being bred that shouldnt be. Some decent breeders seem to be doing just that. I still cant follow all of the new named/non-strained discus out there today. Ed

TURQ64
06-29-2011, 02:30 PM
I have to agree with Bill and Rod; nothing stupid in pairings such as BDxSS.....these type of crosses are actually textbook breeding methods....Gary

MostlyDiscus
06-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Ya ok Turq, BD and SS would most likely produce decent and intresting offspring, but what about a Marlboro red and a BD? I think yss is saying that some folks breed discus without a goal in mind and the results are less than stellar. I think the question is a good one.... Why do you breed discus?

Melissa
06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
I originally wanted to breed because it was supposed to be the most challenging thing to do regarding Discus, and I wanted to see if I could do it. I bought a group of 2-3" discus and grew them out. Suddenly I had several fish pairing off and they all began to spawn within weeks of each other in the main tank which was such a thrill. There was one pair in the group that fought off the others the most aggressively and had gotten their eggs to the wriggler stage their first try, I put a divider in and they continued to raise that spawn and kept them on their backs for almost 4 weeks! LOL I chose to keep only that pair, and I have to say.... With good parents, breeding really isn't as hard as I thought it would be :) :) :)
So now I breed because it's fun. And it's rewarding to grow them out and watch my work pay off when they become beautiful fish.

LizStreithorst
06-29-2011, 05:41 PM
I agree with you Ed, that it's about finding the special fish in the spawn. I disagree with you agreeing with YSS. What on God's earth is wrong with a BD/SS cross? I LOVE that cross. I'm working at making that cross happen for myself right now.

I have plans on where to go from there and own the RSGs that I plan to use in the mix. I know that it's be done before. Look at the PEs. But I've never done it from scratch. Who knows what interesting fish I migh come up with. It's about the adventure of it and of course, it's all about quality.

LizStreithorst
06-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Ya ok Turq, BD and SS would most likely produce decent and intresting offspring, but what about a Marlboro red and a BD? I think yss is saying that some folks breed discus without a goal in mind and the results are less than stellar. I think the question is a good one.... Why do you breed discus?

OK, agree.

William Palumbo
06-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I have yet to see a strain crossed with SS that I did not like...Bill

TURQ64
06-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Basic principle=redxred, bluexblue, and so forth,so..I'd never cross Marlboro Red with anything other than something red myself (although I've never desired to own a Marlboro), since you asked....remember the days before SS,Pigeons, or anything other than blue,green,or Brilliant?..I do; well...Gary

LizStreithorst
06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I have yet to see a strain crossed with SS that I did not like...Bill

I would never cross a SS withh a PB based fish unless I was up for a very long row to hoe. That said, I have seen some good PBXSSs from Asia. Haven't seen any in a good long while, though. Tony Tan was messing with them once upon a time. Too hard a job for me to take on.

RebelThunder
06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
great stories. :)

Bill63SG
06-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Just entering the arena.With my wife saying "this is the longest you've had discus without killing them",crossing the 1yr mark,and starting to get pairs,laying eggs in the community tank.I told her pairs are highschool ball,eggs are college,and spawns are aaa,free swimmers are the big leagues.With most of my work being done in the summer,sticking with aaa for now.Just wanted to say I did it,doing it,so I geuss it's for the love of it,with a lot of help from the people on here.

MostlyDiscus
06-30-2011, 02:45 AM
"people who matter, won't mind. People who mind, won't matter." What a g8t line. Mind over matter. Set your goals higher and shoot for stars, you land on the moon. Never sell yourself short.

Melissa
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
:P thanks Ed. I can't remember where I heard that saying before, but I really like it as well.

vandiscus
07-15-2011, 01:16 AM
I think if you really want to make some money then try to import it from other country and sell it fast maybe you will make some money. I can't wait to get my own house soon to get back to fish keeping again. Right now just focus on the the real job and making money. or maybe buying fry from other breeder and raise them. There is a breeder in Toronto where I live selling discus fry for very good price. o.5" for $2.5 you can spend $50 dollars for 20 discus and spend 2 month to raise it to 2" to selling size. Ideally if all 20 discus survive and selling it for $20/discus then 20X20=$400 minus the food and the utility I think you can make some money or cut it even is such a blessing. Can't wait for the journey.