PDA

View Full Version : pp treatment unsuccessfully

wanderingfish
05-28-2010, 08:35 AM
yesterday,I do a 20 ppm pp treatment unsuccessfully.
I heavily fed my juveniles,but one of them stop eating three days ago.so I warmed up the water to 34 degrees Celsius to increase their metabolism but still heavily feeding them.yesterday,after draining most of water,I thought why not do a 20 ppm pp treamment. so I leave 50L water in tank, demounted the waterpump from piping,placed it at center of tank, make the outlet of pump upward,plug in it,so that the circulation increase o2 in water.
But there i made two mistakes:

first, the water temperature was too high,I have do 20 ppm treatment for 20 minutes about one week ago,at that time i think watertemperature was about 28,all the fishes are alright at that time.
later,I found that pp treatment at 20 ppm for 20-30 minutes can only be done at 10-20 degree Celsius.At 20-25 degree Celsius, treatment is done for 15-20minutes,and if watertemperature is above 25 degree Celsius ,do the treatment for 10 to 15 minutes.I found this in the internet.

second,I didn't do the waterchange when water was cloudy.I 've ever read that pp can deplete the o2 quickly when water is cloudy water .
I've noticed that several fishes gasp for air near surface.If i terminate the treatment immediately at that time, all of fishes should be ok.because I have ever done it.

finally,two of about 18 discus died.both were albinic.A albino Blue Diamond ,another is alibno alenquer.all of turqs are alright.now the survivors eat very well.

here is CLEANING UP AND TANK CONDITIONING WILD DISCUS
By Jim E. Quarles
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=79664
he also mention how to do pp treatment:

I mix 1/6 teaspoon of PP to a pint of warm water. This is added to twenty gallons aged water in the dip tank.

I calculate that the treatment is slightly less concentration than 20ppm.at least 16ppm.It's much safer to do the treatment at this concentration for 3 minutes .

Eddie
05-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Sorry to hear, PP is some rough stuff and I don't like it as a dip at all.

Take care,

Eddie

wanderingfish
05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
yes,but if use it correctly ,it's easy

Eddie
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
yes,but if use it correctly ,it's easy

Yeah but its got to be an extreme emergency, EXTREME.

wanderingfish
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I've do the treatment often with great result,very few fish die from it.In fact ,if use it correctly ,all fishes are more vigorous after the treatment from my experiences.the treatment can eliminate all parasites.

Eddie
05-28-2010, 09:12 AM
I've do the treatment often with great result,very few fish die from it.In fact ,if use it correctly ,all fishes are more vigorous after the treatment from my experiences.the treatment can eliminate all parasites.

It can eliminate fish too, no reason to risk it.

mugzy213
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
It can eliminate fish too, no reason to risk it.

Eddie,

do you ever use pp? I have never and was wondering about it. I thought you only want 002 ppm in your tank?

Eddie
05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Eddie,

do you ever use pp? I have never and was wondering about it. I thought you only want 002 ppm in your tank?

I've used it before, it has a purpose and I generally use the 4 hour bath.

http://www.bidka.org/pp1.shtml

Eddie

wanderingfish
05-28-2010, 09:50 AM
I've used it before, it has a purpose and I generally use the 4 hour bath.

Eddie

I had done 20ppm pp treatment several times before i read the article,and with good result.If I had read the article earlier,i would not risk to try the 20ppm pp treatment.but 20ppm pp treatment really had a great result for me.

Eddie
05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I had done 20ppm pp treatment several times before i read the article,and with good result.If I had read the article earlier,i would not risk to try the 20ppm pp treatment.but 20ppm pp treatment really had a great result for me.

Which article was this? Are you referring to the Jim Quarles article?

wanderingfish
05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Which article was this? Are you referring to the Jim Quarles article?

Eddie
05-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Uh...thats the same link I posted. Is there something I am missing? Didn't see any recommendations for 20ppm dip?

wanderingfish
05-29-2010, 07:10 PM
another successful 20 ppm pp treatment for 10 min

Eddie
05-29-2010, 09:22 PM
another successful 20 ppm pp treatment for 10 min

Are you calling it successful because the fish didnt die? What exactly are treating?

wanderingfish
05-30-2010, 03:06 AM
it's not just because fish did not die,the result is great, because fishes are free from parasites,result is great,and clear.I'v done this kind of treatment many time,I can see it clear.Hours later,fish begin beg for food.without disturbance from external parasites,they are more vigorous.

I leave 50 Liters water in tank ,and put the pump as pic show to increase water circulation,put 1g pp into tank,10minutes later,I put into vitamin C which work the same as h2o2 ,stir the water so that vitamin c react with pp completely.the pure vitamin c is the sort of cheap one.I dissolved it in water in a bottom first.After the water became clean,I began to add fresh water,but the water circulation didn't stop.after water level was high enough I remount the waterpump to filter,and the treatment was done.
during the treatment ,don't scare the fishes put in pp gentlely.
during the treatment,fishes should not react fiercely,such as darting or gasping on water surface,if this happen,add the vitimin c immediately to terminate the treatment,fishes shoud be ok.
after the treatment,siphon out residues at the bottom and add some salt to protect fishes from bacterial infection too .it's importan to use filter keep water clean too.

Eddie
05-30-2010, 04:28 AM
So you have recurring parasite issues that require multiple PP treatments? I guess you have go with what works for you but I highly advise others to use the link that you and I posted, which does not mention anything about 20 ppm.

wanderingfish
05-30-2010, 05:29 AM
So you have recurring parasite issues that require multiple PP treatments? I guess you have go with what works for you but I highly advise others to use the link that you and I posted, which does not mention anything about 20 ppm.

I have not do the treatment for this tank for about 1 year,but I have many other tanks,I have ever treat the 5cm juv turq 3times in 9 day,3day a time,with great result too,no a single dead fish.

Eddie
05-30-2010, 05:36 AM
I have not do the treatment for this tank for about 1 year,but I have many other tanks,I have ever treat the 5cm juv turq 3times in 9 day,3day a time,with great result too,no a single dead fish.

Good luck with that. :o

mmorris
05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
It sounds like overkill. Why use 20ppm when a substantially lower dose will be just as effective and less deadly? I killed a fish at 8ppm after an hour or so in a clean tank. The instructions were wrong, but have since been corrected. 2ppm for four hours in a clean tank with fresh water should be perfectly effective. As you now know, higher doses can be deadly. I'm sorry you lost your albinos.

kaceyo
05-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree that 2ppm is a much safer way to go with less chance of errors occuring. If your system works for you that's fine, but I wouldn't risk it.

nc0gnet0
05-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I am really questioning this procedure and would have to see it to beleive it. Only thing I can guess is he has all sorts of Doc's in his tank that is using up the PP (gravel?)

In most ponds a 20 ppm dose is quickly deadly to all fish and much of the bystanding aquatic life within a few minutes. And you expect me to believe you are dosing this amount in an aquarium? I am not buying it, nope, not happening. Doses this high are called a "sterilizing dose" and should be used on plants ONLY or to eradicate parasites in a system which is completely devoid of fish.

I stongly suggest that any casual reader of this thread be advised not to try this (pp at 20ppm), it will result in instant and sure death.

jaykne
05-30-2010, 09:53 PM
I use PP about ever 3 months or so but don't follow any ppm just mix and drip in my tank till I get a light pink and try to maintain it for 4 hours, never had any bad side effects, it will not kill everything but keeps things in check. That first pic looks like the color I make it and let run for 24 hours to clean a tank, can't beleave they can survive that high of a dose, even for a couple min.

wanderingfish
05-31-2010, 12:57 AM
In Jim E. Quarles' article,the pp dip is at about 20 ppm,but he treat for 3mins only.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=648818#post648818