PDA

View Full Version : Overflow design?

k1w1y2k
05-29-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm wanting to increase my water changes, having 1 automatic (on timers) and the other a manual vaccum, allowing me to do 100% to 150% water changes on my grow out tanks.

The problem is does anyone have a design for an overflow system that keeps the water level the same while water is being pumped in during the Auto cycle.

I know the obvious answer it to have a hole drilled in the tank, but I am not keen on this as I got the tanks second hand and have know idea how old the glass is, and have been told by an expert that old glass is hard to work with.

Can someone help?

ifixoldhouses
05-29-2010, 04:19 PM
I used the one found in this thread and it works great

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68324

k1w1y2k
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for that, the design that Ibanez 540r showed in 18# likes exactly like what I'm after, so it looks like I've got some work to this weekend.

jeff@zina.com
05-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Can someone help?

Really? When a simple search on Simply Discus would answer your question a million times over? Or Google? Or Bing?

Personally, I use one similar to this:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=54290

(Google Search...)

Jeff

Jhhnn
06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
What you want is a way to prevent overflowing when refilling the tank, right? Ibanez' model will work, but it's very important to include the air vent feature. Otherwise, the siphon will break. Probably smart to use more than one per tank with a full auto system, particularly if serious damage would occur from overflowing... Inlet strainers wouldn't hurt, either. Aquaticeco has 'em, and functionally similar means can be created with drilling.

I suspect that the siphon would break on the one Jeff offered every time the overflow stopped unless the valve were closed first. The elevation of the apparatus to drain hose fitting needs to be as in Ibanez' model, near as I can tell w/o actually building one...

jeff@zina.com
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I suspect that the siphon would break on the one Jeff offered every time the overflow stopped unless the valve were closed first. The elevation of the apparatus to drain hose fitting needs to be as in Ibanez' model, near as I can tell w/o actually building one...

My siphons have a higher outside elevation than the one shown, and I also use a one-way air valve at the top of the loop to purge bubbles/restart siphons. I haven't ever had an overflow or lost siphon on them. I have modified some for top/bottom skimming action, though I'm not convinced it adds any additional benefit.

These siphons are now the only direction I'm going with central filtration/drain/fill since they are cheap, simple and fit any size tank.

Jeff