PDA

View Full Version : Decorative stones leech toxins?

joanr
05-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I put together a little potted plant for my bb tank and used decorative stones from Walmart that were in the silk flower section. Then I got to thinking, especially after reading about the o'cello sponges, that maybe these decorative stones might leech something into the water. I'm not seeing any problems as yet but I can pull these and use the glass stones instead. Anyone ever have any problems with these?

joanr
05-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Well, no worries anyway, I got paranoid and pulled the arrangement, went to PetSmart and got the stones that are supposedly safe for aquariums. They are noticably shinier than the Decorative River Rocks from Walmart, so I'm presuming that they have been covered/coated with something or other to render them safe? Don't know.

adivol
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Well I have used the decorative plants and decorative stones in my aquarium but I never faced any problem with that, and I don't think that glass stone can give that look like of decorative stones.

CrazyAngels
06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
the shinny stones have either been polished and or coated with clear epoxy. As for the ones from walmart you speak of, if you gave them a good soaking and boiling, you would most lkikely have them so clean that it wouldn't be an issue. Good luck