PDA

View Full Version : algea eaters with discus? Plecos?

vbncwrestler318
05-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a 72 gallon tank with 8 discus all around 4 inches. The substrate I used was just a regular bag of white sand from home depot. I washed it pretty thoroughly when I set up my tank a few months ago but apparently it has too many silicates leaching into the water as I have consistently had brown algae (diatoms) grow onto the glass and live plants. I clean it off regularely when I do water changes but it is getting annoying. I dont really like adding more fish to the tank that arent discus (I like having my tank discus only :D) but I really want this algae to go away. Can anyone help me with a choice?

I have read that ottos are bad for discus as they can eat their slime but I cannot find any reliable information on what plecos are safe with discus. What do you think?

mathao
05-30-2010, 07:48 PM
your tank is overcrowded already, beside getting a cleaning crew you could turn on lights for shorter periods of time,but if you really want a cleaner i suggest a bristle nose pleco, i have 2 baby bn's in my tank with six discus and i have to do two water changes a day, my tank is a 30 grow out tank only, it crowded in there too.

jimg
05-30-2010, 08:21 PM
without a doubt the bushy nose plecos are the best. If the tank is fairly new, the diatoms will go away as the tank gets established. keep eye on the nitrate.

fishorama
05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't know...my tank grows diatoms & algae with all the discus slime & feeding but took my sand out after the first couple weeks.

Jhhnn
05-31-2010, 12:01 AM
My BB tanks grow brown algae almost exclusively. Probably has something to do with the 50% daily water changes, maybe my tapwater, dunno.

I considered adding bushynoses, even had some in quarantine for months, but ultimately chickened out, gave 'em to blkrob, where they're doing fine with his discus... I continue to scrub periodically...

philip69285
05-31-2010, 12:23 AM
I got some siamese algae eaters and they are doing a pretty good job and havent noticed anything yet with the disus... also have tried otos no problem and have bushy noses in there too and no problem.

mathao
05-31-2010, 04:29 AM
in the end it depends how much you love your discus and how much work you have to perform to keep them happy;)

Foxfire
05-31-2010, 07:19 AM
My 75 gal community tank (which has very fine gain home depot sand) has often had such a problem - one way I have reduced this was using a phosphate pad; it helps (does not fully prevent.) I gave up on Plecos since they need algae waffers and that was introducing far worse algae problems (at least after I started feeding such waffers and the Pleco ignored that type of algae completely.)

jimg
05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
My 75 gal community tank (which has very fine gain home depot sand) has often had such a problem - one way I have reduced this was using a phosphate pad; it helps (does not fully prevent.) I gave up on Plecos since they need algae waffers and that was introducing far worse algae problems (at least after I started feeding such waffers and the Pleco ignored that type of algae completely.)

I have 14 tanks with bn plecos in each tank. I never feed them algae waffers. They eat almost anything the discus will eat. I do give them occasionally blanched zucchini.
They spotlessly clean all algae without ever harming the discus, fry or eggs.
I have 2 90 gallon tanks heavily planted with t5 tek lights fixtures, co2 etc. and very minimal green algae.
I have sae's,(many species look like sae but are not). I have ottos. The sae eventually barely touch algae and compete with the discus for food. Some of the ottos do attack the discus.
May people I hear about ,including myself, when they first set up aquariums spent a lot of $ on anti algae pads,chems,etc. it's a waste. a balanced tank will have minimal algae after awhile. But some have very high amounts of phosphate/silicates in their water then it may be different. but test for them first.

vbncwrestler318
05-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might try my luck with a BN pleco for now. If/when the tank balances out more and the brown algae goes away, then I will just move the BN pleco to one of my other community tanks.
I love having a discus only tank:)
Hopefully I will not have to feed the pleco algae wafers because my lighting (4-54W T5HO) creates a steady amount of algae. I will eventually start adding some CO2 and more plants when my discus get a bit bigger and after I move to a bigger house and that will help with algae controll as well. However, that is in the future, so the BN pleco will have to do for now.
Thanks guys!

jimg
05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might try my luck with a BN pleco for now. If/when the tank balances out more and the brown algae goes away, then I will just move the BN pleco to one of my other community tanks.
I love having a discus only tank:)
Hopefully I will not have to feed the pleco algae wafers because my lighting (4-54W T5HO) creates a steady amount of algae. I will eventually start adding some CO2 and more plants when my discus get a bit bigger and after I move to a bigger house and that will help with algae controll as well. However, that is in the future, so the BN pleco will have to do for now.
Thanks guys!

I also have the 4 - 54 w t5 I ended up only turning on 2 of the bulbs and plants growth slowed slightly, but hardly noticeable. IMO do not need all that light for most warm water plants.