PDA

View Full Version : How Many??

Protestthehero
05-31-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a 48 gallon tank, and i currently have 4 discus. I've heard that i can have 6-8 discus, is this true? i also add them 2 at a time to avoid stressing the tank and spending too much money at once. Adding my last 2 there was agression for a while but it has died down now. when i add the next 2 how will having 4 others picking on them work out....? thanks for any advice.

p.s. anyone know any good tricks for getting rid of algae??

DiscusKev
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
The recommended stocking is 10 gallons per adult discus, but imo if you carry your duty on doing water changes, it could solve the problem.

Its not that much of a good idea on introducing 2 discus at a time. It may help improve your flow of money but territorial issue within the tank could occur in the process of doing so. Also, if your new discus is from other sources, it could introduce different pathogens into the tank.

The best trick to reduce or get rid of algae is to have minimal light hours and to do water changes. Check your phosphate level.

mjs020294
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I have a 48 gallon tank, and i currently have 4 discus. I've heard that i can have 6-8 discus, is this true?

8 discus in a 48 gallon tank :mad: I wouldn't use a tank under 72g for groups of discus.