PDA

View Full Version : feeding discus, regime feedback

henward
06-01-2010, 05:18 AM
OK
i read that discus should be given smaller meals through otu the day, about 4 to 6 times through otu the day.

recently mys chedule have changed and i cannot sit there and feed them small meals through otu the day.
so i got a new eheim auto fish feeder the twin feeder one.

i have programmed it to dose the tank with little meals 3 times a day, then i feed 4th time when i get home.
also i put 3 feeds of floating cichlid gold for the other fish in there which ims ure they sometimes eat too.

is this ok?
or feeding once a day enough?

what i find is that they dont come up to the front of the tank as much anymore. some do but not as much, this could be either they are full or they are still settling? i introd them to the tank only 5 days ago.

feedback?
feeding regime of others?

scottthomas
06-01-2010, 09:31 AM
IME feeding 3 - 5 times a day is sufficient if they are getting full bellies and with good foods. I prefer 4-5x daily enough to fill their bellies until noticably fat (sometimes I am not home and feed less). I assume these are not full grown discus? My full grown fish eat far less; 1 or 2 meals a day. I can only guess that they are not coming up to greet you at the front of the tank as much because they no longer associate you with food. They now look to the auto feeder as their source of meals:D I am sure there are many many opinions on how often to feed but my discus have grown nicely with 3-5 big feedings a day.

pcsb23
06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I think you will get a few differing opinions here.

This is what works for me, fry get fed as often as practical. Juvvies and sub usually three times a day at regular intervals (every 8 hours would be ideal). Adults once or twice a day depending on conditioning requirements, and usually they get a day without food.

henward
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
oh i see
so adults should be fed once or twice only.
only when small should be fed more a day.
i do have a fasting day.

ok,i will keep that in mind.
thanks
any more feedback?