PDA

View Full Version : is this a problem?

mugzy213
06-01-2010, 09:45 PM
OK I have a couple juvies that seem to be breathing hard... they eat fine and hide in the corner every now and again. A couple are breathing with one gill(Again).

I treated with prazipro 2 weeks ago. I dose the BB 40 gal 2 teaspoons for 3 days with 80% water changes. I re-dosed after WC.

result:

all were breathing with two gills:). but some still were breathing hard with there gills. now some have started only using one gill again...

My water right now is as follows, (these results are right after a 60% ish water change)

AMM 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
Ph 6.8
TDS of 120
Temp 85

I aged my water 24 hours in two 30 gal buckets and dose with novaqua. Also add a Kents ro right

here is a video, thanks for your time...:)

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/Discus213/th_DSCN2838.jpg (http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/Discus213/?action=view&current=DSCN2838.flv)

joanr
06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Prazi treament is 3 days on, 4 days off for a total of 21 days. A lot of flukes are now resistant to the drug, you might have to move on to Clout or Anti-fluke. You have to catch the flukes in their life cycles that's why the continued use of the Prazi over 21 days. Looking at the video, your tank is nice and clean looking but they do look like they are breathing quite rapidly, even for juvies.

Eddie
06-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd also suggest Anti-Fluke.

Eddie

joanr
06-02-2010, 09:54 PM

Eddie

Yeah, I just wish they would find something that wouldn't nuke the filters but clear the flukes. The Clout took out about about half my bio, but it quickly re-established. I always wonder why folks destroy their filter media, don't the meds kill the flukes in the filter media also?

Eddie
06-02-2010, 10:19 PM
If treating for flukes, I nix the filter media anyways and start from scratch. Any fluke eggs in the media or caught in filter will hatch out later and the problem will never go away. Best to have only water, fish, air and heater so it doesn't get too low in temp. ;)

joanr
06-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Doesn't the medicated water run through the filter media and kill the flukes in there along with the eggs during the treatment? Or are the eggs never destroyed by any of these meds and have to hatch out in order to be killed?

Eddie
06-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Doesn't the medicated water run through the filter media and kill the flukes in there along with the eggs during the treatment? Or are the eggs never destroyed by any of these meds and have to hatch out in order to be killed?

The eggs are never destroyed, only hatched fluke eggs are dealt with. ;)

joanr
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Ok, that sucks, then I take back what I said before, we need a med that doesn't nuke the filters, kills the flukes and also the eggs. What could be so hard about that? :confused:

Eddie
06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Ok, that sucks, then I take back what I said before, we need a med that doesn't nuke the filters, kills the flukes and also the eggs. What could be so hard about that? :confused:

There just isnt one available. The trick to ridding a stubborn case of flukes is to keep moving the fish to a sterilized tank after each treatment. Some can do it in the same tank but it really depends on the severity of the infestation.

nc0gnet0
06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
There just isnt one available. The trick to ridding a stubborn case of flukes is to keep moving the fish to a sterilized tank after each treatment. Some can do it in the same tank but it really depends on the severity of the infestation.

Supaverm, but I beleive it would be fatal to discus, don't know if it has been tried though.

Eddie
06-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Supaverm, but I beleive it would be fatal to discus, don't know if it has been tried though.

Yeah, its was brought ages ago but not sure anyone has used it. Said to be too tough on discus. Guess some tests would have to be run.

mugzy213
06-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Eddie

Hey Eddie,

I finally got Anti flukes in the mail.:) Should I just follow the direction on the label or do you recommend something different?

thanks again bud!

Eddie
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey Eddie,

I finally got Anti flukes in the mail.:) Should I just follow the direction on the label or do you recommend something different?

thanks again bud!

Always follow the label first. Is it the bottle with the yellow label or white label? The white label is the older bottle.

Eddie

dogfish101
06-04-2010, 05:44 AM
hi
i am having a bad time with flukes .they have infested my display tank! i just drained AND gona let it set dry for a day to get rid of them and medacating in a small tank .i have had problums one rite after an other when my filter died back in march. now we are starting all over again . I HATE THEM FLUKES :mad:

mugzy213
06-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Always follow the label first. Is it the bottle with the yellow label or white label? The white label is the older bottle.

Eddie

It's the yellow label.

Thanks

-----------
Hal

Eddie
06-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Cool, keep temp at 80F, lights out.