PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon- Removing HOB filters?

Bree7
06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey guys!

So I'm setting up my 55 gallon discus tank (to be stocked with 6 discus from Kenny) and I've got a couple questions.

Currently I have two huge HOB filters on the tank, an Aquaclear 500 and a Penguin bio-wheel. Both were bought used, sterilized and put in my tank. They have been in use for about a year. For some reason, both filters have always been extremely loud. So now, I am hoping to switch to two sponge filters and remove the HOB's.

I've ordered two 80 gallon Hydro sponge filters (so that adds up to 160 gallons of filtration in a 55 gallon tank), and they'll be arriving in the next couple of days. How long would you recommend I keep my HOB's running with the sponge filters before the bacteria spreads and I can remove them? Should I remove them one at a time? And do you think there will be any spikes in my tank from removing them? The powerful flow that comes from both HOB's is also really strong and I know discus prefer little to no current, so that's another reason for removing them.

Thoughts? Or if you think I should keep the HOB's, solutions to the noise level/powerful flow?

Thanks guys!
Bree

What would you suggest?

Darrell Ward
06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Run em with your HOBs for a couple of weeks, remove one HOB, and run another week or so, remove it, and you should be fine. Test to be sure. :) Current may be a little strong with all these filters running in a 55. You could put valves on the air lines to the sponges to cut back flow, or just throw them in there with no air (bacteria will colonize the sponge material anyway). For what it's worth, I always run my tanks between 6 to 8 times turnover anyway. The tanks stay clearer that way. It won't hurt anything unless the fish are being pushed around by the current.