PDA

View Full Version : What sizes are juvies?

moneyLaw
06-03-2010, 06:31 PM
A couple of questions from a newbie. I see the term juvies, sub-adults and adult discus.

What size(assuming not stunted discus bought from sponsors here)/age is considered juvies?

What size/age is considered sub-adult?

For sub-adult, feeding 3 times a day is enough for good growth? Thanks.

Eddie
06-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Size can have zero to do with the term juvenile. The terms; fry, juvenile, sub-adult and adult are related to the AGE of the fish. Some people have adult discus that are 3 inches in size and some people have juvenile discus that are 3 inches in size. Not sure if there are "exact" time frames for the categories I listed but for me, this is how I label the fish.

Fry = 0-2 months
Juveniles = 2-6 months
Sub Adult = 6-9 month
Adult = >9 months

Eddie

moneyLaw
06-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Eddie. I understand it is hard to tell from the size what is the age of the discus.

However, I have no idea what are the ages of the discus I bought. (my discus are all from Kenny, btw)

So, can you take a guess? on average, how big are the 2 months old discus from Forrest?
and 6 months old?
9 months old?

Thanks.

PS: may be I am just asking a ridiculous question.. :D

Jhhnn
06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks, Eddie. I understand it is hard to tell from the size what is the age of the discus.

However, I have no idea what are the ages of the discus I bought. (my discus are all from Kenny, btw)

So, can you take a guess? on average, how big are the 2 months old discus from Forrest?
and 6 months old?
9 months old?

Thanks.

Kenny told me that the 4" fish I purchased from him were ~5 months old, which seems about right for fish that have been well fed and well raised from the time they hatched out... Forrest and his staff won't be sending out any stunted fish, bet on that. They're pros, obviously some of the best in the business... Which is a big part of why Kenny chose them as his supplier...

Eddie
06-03-2010, 09:17 PM

and 6 months old?
9 months old?

Thanks.

This is something you would have to ask Kenny. You need to ask him what age the fish were when you received them. I am sure he can tell you a good guesstimate on what their age was.

Eddie

j_li8
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
its a question that i have asked Kenny many times. if i remember correctly this is what they were for the ones that i have asked:

2.5-3" are about 3 months
3-3.5" are about 3-4 months
4-4.5" are about 5-6.5 months

as Jhhnn said i can assure you they are not stunted because Kenny and Forrest will not sell a stunted fish.

Eddie
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
its a question that i have asked Kenny many times. if i remember correctly this is what they were for the ones that i have asked:

2.5-3" are about 3 months
3-3.5" are about 3-4 months
4-4.5" are about 5-6.5 months

as Jhhnn said i can assure you they are not stunted because Kenny and Forrest will not sell a stunted fish.

Yup, those are some really good numbers too and ditto on Forrest's fish...TOP NOTCH!!!

DiscusOnly
06-04-2010, 08:26 AM
This is something you would have to ask Kenny. You need to ask him what age the fish were when you received them. I am sure he can tell you a good guesstimate on what their age was.

Eddie

Great suggestion!

It's best to ask question like that from the people you purchased it from. Don't forget that sizes will varies based on the strain as well.