PDA

View Full Version : Week 54, Final Update.

Chad Hughes
06-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Well, it’s been real, it’s been fun……but it’s over. I can hardly believe it’s been a year already. It’s bitter sweet that I bring my contest experience to a close. To date, I’ve created 31 threads specifically for this contest. These threads generated over 855 posts and gathered over 28,781 views. I am very pleased to see how many read about my water management methods. There were 3,692 views of this thread alone. This was an excellent opportunity for all of the contestants to show their skills, share their experiences and learn as well as teach. I must say that I have learned many things about discus care through each and every contestant that participated and for that I am grateful! Thank you!

My experience with this group of discus has been a dream! From day one, these 6 have been extremely healthy and have grown by leaps and bounds. Good stock is an understatement in regards to this group. Their health, color, patterns and shape are fantastic and I am proud to be an owner of these beautiful fish.

As many of you know my methods of raising these beauties has been a bit unconventional. I began the contest raising these six in a 110 gallon moderately planted tank. Meeting the criteria for both plants and discus can be a daunting experience but, once you’ve got it down, discus and plants go hand in hand! My water changes were performed every 7 to 10 days (some were delayed further) with San Diego tap water. Filtration was a little more advanced. I used a Fluval 405 as my main filter and supplemented that with a wet/dry sump system. Ozone was employed in this tank to ensure the absolute best water conditions between water changes. To keep the plants stable and growing, electronically controlled CO2 and dry fertilizers were used. This group grew in this system until March 11, 2010 when they were moved to my hatchery. At that point the fish were moved to a 60 gallon BB tank attached to a 650 gallon central system. They seem to still be putting on size and still demonstrate excellent appetites and behavior.

The diet of these fish has remained relatively consistent, feeding 3 to 5 times daily. In the beginning I was using an automatic feeder that fed Tetra Colorbits at 12 noon daily. I soon noticed that the fish were starting to look like the cast of Jersey Shore. They were extremely orange and began to lose their “golden” appearance. I really wanted the fish to show their true color, so I discontinued the use of the Colorbits. Their diet was reduced to my own beef heart blend and blood worms. This continued until their move to the hatchery where I introduced them to California Black Worms. Once they got a taste of those, there was no looking back. Their diet now consists of my beef heart blend, FBW and CBW. The FBW gets eaten, but not nearly as quickly as live foods. They have a new favorite now. Today they receive 2 to 3 feedings daily alternating between BH, CBW and FBW.

Were the fish medicated? Only twice that I know of. I do recall Al stating that he gave them a round of Prazi while they were in his care. While in my care they received one round of Vermisol just for good measure while in QT when they were moved to their new BB tank. No other chemicals were utilized in their rearing.

So, a little time line……

5/21/2009: Day 1. Fish arrive safely in San Diego at 3” TL
6/19/2009: Week 4. 1” of growth in a month, 4” TL.
7/14/2009: Week 8. ½” of growth in a month, 4.5” TL.
9/01/2009: Week 14. Nearly 1.5” of growth in 6 weeks, 5.4” TL.
11/28/2009: Week 25. First spawn in the contest! Woohooo!
2/03/2010: Week 37. Still growing. 6” TL.
3/11/2010: Week 42. Fish moved to BB central system tank.
6/03/2010: Week 54. Contest Complete. Final Measurement 6 7/16” TL

If I could do it all over again….. I don’t think I would do anything differently. Personally I am very pleased with the outcome of this group. I was able to provide what I felt was excellent care with minimal effort. I feel that should be the goal of any hobby. Enjoyment!

Lastly, but not least, I’d like to express my appreciation to all of those that made this experience possible!

Al, you have got to be one of the most dedicated, hardworking and knowledgeable hobbyists that I (virtually) know. Your devotion to the forum and all its members shows not only through this contest, but through your daily interaction with all of us on the forum. Thank you Al!

Kenny & Forrest, you guys are the best! Your eye for quality, healthy stock is truly a benchmark in our hobby. Your generosity to the forum and this contest is truly admirable. It’s folks like you that make great things like this contest possible. Thank you for your support, the fantastic contest stock, and your friendship!

The contestants! You guys and gals have really made this contest a true challenge! Through all your threads over 4000 posts have been generated on the Simply Discus Forum. That is amazing! Great work everyone! I’m proud to have been one of you and I look forward to seeing the final lineup of fantastic contest discus!

Barb Newell. This contest was in memorial of Barb. I didn’t know her, but I’ve become familiar with what a great person she was through this forum. For those of you who don’t know Barb and would like to have an idea of who she was, I encourage you to read her threads (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56). Rest in peace Barb! You left some big shoes to fill.

Best wishes to all!

P.S. I will not submit my largest fish for judgement nor will I use any of the attached photos for this contest.

Ed13
06-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I really like the fish in that third pic Chad! Seems slighty different to me than the other fish in the contest. Looking forward to seeing how the fish grown with your methods compare to the others.

Chad Hughes
06-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks Ed! Fingers crossed! LOL! :D

Eddie
06-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Gorgeous group Chad! Best of luck!

Eddie

Chad Hughes
06-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Gorgeous group Chad! Best of luck!

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! It's going to be interesting!

Best wishes my friend!

Eddie
06-03-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't know Chad, that fish in the 3rd picture looks ALOT bigger than 6 inches. Very nice looking fish indeed.

Eddie

Chad Hughes
06-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't know Chad, that fish in the 3rd picture looks ALOT bigger than 6 inches. Very nice looking fish indeed.

Eddie

Well, when I took the measurement this evening I eyeballed what I thought ws the largest of the group. They are all about 6", so without pulling them all, it's hard to say what their measurements actually are. LOL! I'd say they're all between 6 and 6.5". No runts in this group!

Thanks for the compliments Eddie. With your critical eye, a compliment from you goes a long way. LOL!

Best wishes!

wgtaylor
06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Hey Chad, good post and great looking discus.
Well done buddy.:)
Bill

Chad Hughes
06-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey Chad, good post and great looking discus.
Well done buddy.:)
Bill

Thanks so much Bill! Your compliments mean a lot. :)

Best wishes and good luck to you!

fishyj
06-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Chad, great job with the whole bunch. Good luck in the judging.

Chad Hughes
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Chad, great job with the whole bunch. Good luck in the judging.

Jim,

Thank you for the compliment my friend! I wish you all the best as well!

Good luck!

calihawker
06-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Truly excellent job my friend, both with the raising of your fish and your many wonderful threads. It's been a pleasure being in this contest with you.:)

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Chad, a fabulous group you have come along with. Keep up what a fantastic job you have done...

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Chad, a fabulous group you have come along with. Keep up what a fantastic job you have done...

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Thank you so much Ahmed! I really appreciate the compliment.

Best wishes!

2075turner
06-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the entertainment value on the contest Chad. It has been very interesting reading. Great job on your group. Wishing you all the best:)

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the entertainment value on the contest Chad. It has been very interesting reading. Great job on your group. Wishing you all the best:)

Evelyn,

I'm glad you found it "entertaining"! Thank you for the compliment and well wishes.

Best wishes and good luck to you!

db2inst1
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Looking Good Chad. I really enjoyed and learned a lot reading your contest threads.

Good Luck

-Visu

acroken
06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Great ending to this challenge Chad. Very nicely put together. It has been a pleasure to follow your posts. We could not have been any different in our approaches to raising these challenge fish. You have raised a beautiful group of discus. It has been a great year. Nice work.

Kenny

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Great ending to this challenge Chad. Very nicely put together. It has been a pleasure to follow your posts. We could not have been any different in our approaches to raising these challenge fish. You have raised a beautiful group of discus. It has been a great year. Nice work.

Kenny

Thank you Kenny! Your compliments mean a lot to me. I couldn't agree with you more in our approaches. Defiantely day and night. I think that made things a bit more interesting. I love that there wasn't much conformity between the conestants. Everyone did what they felt was best and everyone had great results!

Thanks again for the well wishes and I wish you all the best!

Good luck!

Disgirl
06-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Real beauties Chad! And so good to see and hear how they were grown in a planted tank! What is in that tank now? Raising more juvies in it? Good luck in the judging, it will be tough to pick a grand winner from what I see.
Barb:)

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Real beauties Chad! And so good to see and hear how they were grown in a planted tank! What is in that tank now? Raising more juvies in it? Good luck in the judging, it will be tough to pick a grand winner from what I see.
Barb:)

Thank you Barb! That tank was sold to another forum member which is now full of their own discus. Not a planted tank though. :( Thanks for the well wishes! I'm glad I'm not a judge. :o

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Looking Good Chad. I really enjoyed and learned a lot reading your contest threads.

Good Luck

-Visu

Thank you Visu! I'm glad that you got something out of all of this. In my opinion, that is the whole point of this forum. Education. Thank you for the well wishes!

Best wishes my friend!

FarmerD
06-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Great job on the fish!! Between being a California native, loving your approach to the grow out and having ties to San Diego had me pulling for you. My little sister was a Volleyball stud for USD and my bro was the manager of the downtown Hard Rock, entire family loves SD.

I was a fan of the methods you used to grow out these amazing fish .... stock is everything, but they look great!

On that note ..... if you ever decide to raise a spawn from these fish, my daughter and I will drag our happy butts down from San Luis Obispo in a heartbeat to pick some up.

Way to represent the west coast Chad ...... enjoyed it

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Great job on the fish!! Between being a California native, loving your approach to the grow out and having ties to San Diego had me pulling for you. My little sister was a Volleyball stud for USD and my bro was the manager of the downtown Hard Rock, entire family loves SD.

I was a fan of the methods you used to grow out these amazing fish .... stock is everything, but they look great!

On that note ..... if you ever decide to raise a spawn from these fish, my daughter and I will drag our happy butts down from San Luis Obispo in a heartbeat to pick some up.

Way to represent the west coast Chad ...... enjoyed it

West Side! :bandana: LOL!

Thanks my friend! Glad to hear of your ties to SD! If you are ever in the area, look me up! I love having forum folks to the house. I really appreciate your support of my methods. Thank you for the compliments!

You are on a growing list of folks who want fry. :D I honestly don't know if I have any males. I've seen 4 of the 6 lay eggs. If the other two are males, then I'm likely in the clear. If not, I'll be crossing these beauties with some of Inland Empires Albino Red Turqs. I have 10 semi adults at the moment and they are looking fantastic! They are nearly carbon copies of the contest fish.'

Anyway, thanks for your vote and I hope to possibly meet you guys one day.

Best wishes!

FarmerD
06-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I use to drive down often, either visiting family or dragging my boat to fish Albacore and Bluefin with friends. Family all moved and my divorce got the boat .....so been awhile... LOL

Will make sure to stay in touch. I have just gotten back into the hobby after 20 years and lurking on here with my daughter is the reason.

Wish you luck come judging time. Me and my daughter have our favorites .......... Of course they are not the same!

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I use to drive down often, either visiting family or dragging my boat to fish Albacore and Bluefin with friends. Family all moved and my divorce got the boat .....so been awhile... LOL

Will make sure to stay in touch. I have just gotten back into the hobby after 20 years and lurking on here with my daughter is the reason.

Wish you luck come judging time. Me and my daughter have our favorites .......... Of course they are not the same!

Sorry to hear of the divorce and the boat loss. That kind of sucks. I don't have a fishing boat, but I do have a 18' deck boat that we take out to the bay every now and then. Stay in touch and if you need anything let me know.

Have a great weekend!

FarmerD
06-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Chad, the offer is appreciated. The information on here has been amazing but always nice to have someone to turn to for answers. We only have a 55gal BB with three adult 5"-6.5" Turq/Leopard's set up at the moment. Had a fish room/nursery back in the early 90's that my 9 year old recently found pictures of (hence me back into the hobby). Was planning on breeding angelfish with her to get her started, but because of this site and the pictures of the competition fish ..... well, there are now 8 empty tanks in the garage she has plans for!

So much has changed since I was into this before. The Discus are just amazing and the amount of information available is probably the biggest change that I am noticing.

Enjoy the weekend as well ...... weather is fabulous up here at the moment so I know its even better in De Eggo

Dustin

David Rose
06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Chad,

There are a lot of good people on this forum and you stand out among the best! Thank you for your participation...I've learned so much from reading your threads and know there aren't a lot of people that would take the time as you have to detail your efforts and respond when help is needed.

You're the best Chad and I appreciate all that you do and have done!!!

All the best,
David

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks Chad, the offer is appreciated. The information on here has been amazing but always nice to have someone to turn to for answers. We only have a 55gal BB with three adult 5"-6.5" Turq/Leopard's set up at the moment. Had a fish room/nursery back in the early 90's that my 9 year old recently found pictures of (hence me back into the hobby). Was planning on breeding angelfish with her to get her started, but because of this site and the pictures of the competition fish ..... well, there are now 8 empty tanks in the garage she has plans for!

So much has changed since I was into this before. The Discus are just amazing and the amount of information available is probably the biggest change that I am noticing.

Enjoy the weekend as well ...... weather is fabulous up here at the moment so I know its even better in De Eggo

Dustin

Well, you know how the fish bug bites! One tank now, in a year 12 tanks! LOL! That is so cool that your daughter is taking the reigns on this hobby! It's one of the best in the world in my opinion. I have to agree with you about the information highway in regards to discus. IMHO there is no better source of information on the web than Simply and the folks you meet here are the types that you form long standing friendships with.

If you are interested in Angels, hit up Bill at Inland Empire Discus. He may have something for you! :) I'm a discus man myself...

Anyway, weather here is warming up. You can tell it's summer time for sure. I hear it may get near 90 here this weekend! Yikes! LOL! I guess I'll get to test out the AC for the first time this year. :D

Take care buddy!

Chad,

There are a lot of good people on this forum and you stand out among the best! Thank you for your participation...I've learned so much from reading your threads and know there aren't a lot of people that would take the time as you have to detail your efforts and respond when help is needed.

You're the best Chad and I appreciate all that you do and have done!!!

All the best,
David

David,

You're making me blush. :o Your kind words mean a lot my friend! I really appreciate your heart felt post. I'm so happy to hear that my posts were beneficial to you. It's always a pleasure to help out a fellow hobbyist whenever possible.

Thanks for the kind words and have a great weekend!

Best wishes!

dan1
06-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Chad,

That was a great write up. Your group looks really nice and promising. Thanks for sharing your experience, you are definitely one of the best and knowledgeable folks in this forum. It would be wonderful to see your fish room some day when I am in SD.

Best wishes and good luck on the contest.

Chad Hughes
06-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Chad,

That was a great write up. Your group looks really nice and promising. Thanks for sharing your experience, you are definitely one of the best and knowledgeable folks in this forum. It would be wonderful to see your fish room some day when I am in SD.

Best wishes and good luck on the contest.

Dan,

Thank you for the compliments! You are making me blush as well. :o LOL!

When I was chosen as a contestant, I took it seriously. I'm glad that you enjoyed all the posts! I'd love to have you visit the fish room when you are in town. Feel free to contact me when you know you're going to be local.

Thank you for your well wishes! I really appreciate your support.

Have a great weekend!

vera
06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Very informative write up Chad really injoyed yr detailed explaining of every stage of their growth , feedings and wc regimes , would love to know more about ozone system
Well done on growing these stunning beauties !
Best of luck :)

Chad Hughes
06-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Very informative write up Chad really injoyed yr detailed explaining of every stage of their growth , feedings and wc regimes , would love to know more about ozone system
Well done on growing these stunning beauties !
Best of luck :)

Vera,

Thank you for your compliments! I really appreciate that. What sort of questions did you have about the ozone system? Drop me a PM sometime and we can talk about it. Thanks for the well wishes!

Have a great weekend.

vera
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
PMed , tnx :)

Chad Hughes
06-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Vera,

I'll reply to your PM on Monday. I've got a bunch of stuff going on this weekend. Ozone is a bit in depth and I'll have to spend some time replying to you. :D

Best wishes!

mugzy213
06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Chad, thanks for all your hard work! I enjoyed reading your posts and I have learned alot for you. Your fish look awsome!!

Thanks

Hal

Chad Hughes
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Chad, thanks for all your hard work! I enjoyed reading your posts and I have learned alot for you. Your fish look awsome!!

Thanks

Hal

Hey Hal!

Thanks for the kind words and I'm really thrilled that you learned a lot from the contest posts. It was a lot of fun to raise these incredible fish and share it with everyone. I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity!!!

Best wishes!

Scribbles
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Your discus look incredible Chad! Excellent job!

Chris

Chad Hughes
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks Chris! I really appreciate your compliments.

Best wishes!

dbfzurowski
06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Nice summary Chad, i think your way of raising discus and filtration system inspired a lot of people. Good luck !

Chad Hughes
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey Dominik!

Thank you my friend. I appreciate that.

Best wishes!

KeonTheKing
06-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Chad = Discus Pro we shoud all copy him (-_-):D

Chad Hughes
06-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Chad = Discus Pro we shoud all copy him (-_-):D

LOL! Thank you my friend! I'm just one of many that has their methods. I really appreciate your kind words!

Best wishes!