PDA

View Full Version : Hydor Heater

DerekFF
06-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I have a 400w hydor theo heater and ive posted before about temp swings. Im having the issue again and i thought that the first time it was my lights being on. However ive been leaving them off with my heater set at 83F and my tank is hovering at 88-89F. It is by a window that is shaded most of the day and the ambient temp is 72-78 depending on time of day. However the tank temp stays about 88 irreguardless of time of day. Anyone every have problems with the thermostat on hydor heaters? Or any other thoughts or ideas on what the issue could be other than the lights adding heat?

rickztahone
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I have a 400w hydor theo heater and ive posted before about temp swings. Im having the issue again and i thought that the first time it was my lights being on. However ive been leaving them off with my heater set at 83F and my tank is hovering at 88-89F. It is by a window that is shaded most of the day and the ambient temp is 72-78 depending on time of day. However the tank temp stays about 88 irreguardless of time of day. Anyone every have problems with the thermostat on hydor heaters? Or any other thoughts or ideas on what the issue could be other than the lights adding heat?

i would call hydor and tell them the problem. they might send out a replacement.

mlov1022
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I have had about 6 300 & 400w Hydors in the past 2 years and not one worked right. They would either heat the water to 90+ or not heat the water at all, regardless of the temp I had them set at......Stay away!!!

DonMD
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Oddly, your experiences with Hydor heaters are directly opposite mine. I have three, and they all maintain temps without even one degree, not even a tenth, of variation.

mathao
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
with the hydor heaters you have to have the rite heater for the sized tank or it will not heat the tank or overheat the tank. i've been using them for a long time and they work pretty good for me.

Jhhnn
06-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Sometimes it's just that the heaters aren't properly calibrated- the setting on the dial doesn't match the actual water temp. If yours heats to 5F over the setting, turn the setting down 5F, see what happens... If your particular heater won't adjust to the desired temp, get another. 3-5W/gal is the accepted norm on covered tanks, with discus enthusiasts often opting for the upper end because of the higher desired temps.

I'll offer that many of us regard Eheim Jagers as (arguably) the best available. They do require calibration, and they're longer than most of comparable wattage. The price is right from Kensfish, and from David at Igo pro, too...

dvc_r
06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I had a hydor heater, I thought it was the best thing I've ever bought for my tank... until about a month later when it started to leak!

I tried everything to fix it but was unable to. After seeing my "laminate" wood floors buckle up, I'll never use them again!