PDA

View Full Version : When to transfer juvies into my main show tank?

theblondskeleton
06-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I have had 7 beautiful Santarems purchased from Hans in mid-January growing out in a bare bottom tank. The plan is to move them into the show tank as soon as they are large enough or have slowed growing enough that any more growth under the current circumstances would be unlikely. They are in a 60 gallon acrylic with a built-in trickle filter, a Jebao canister filter, and a sponge filter (I believe it's number IV?). I've pretty much kept up with the water changes, (80% every other day aged, heated, and treated water) with the exception of a three week period when I could only do a 90% weekly water change.

The largest fish is about 5.5 inches nose to tail, and the smallest is about 5 inches - maybe 4.75, I can't get an exact bead on it. they all appear to still be growing, as far as I can tell, just at a slower rate than before.

My original plan was to keep them in the BB tank for about a year, to make sure they had met their full potential, but of course I'm getting antsy and excited about seeing these big fish in their show home.

So, two questions as I am so new to growing out discus:

1. Will sticking with the plan of keeping them in the 60 gallon BB grow out tank be worth the wait?

2. What is a good and reliable acclimation procedure for transferring the discus when I do get to that point? The pH in the show tank is electronically controlled at 6.1, and the grow out is steady at 7.4 - see the dilemma? I could use my 5 gal bucket with a heater and drip acclimate 2-3 at a time, but that would take days! I'll do it if I have to - I absolutely want to do this right - but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, guys!

theblondskeleton
06-10-2010, 08:32 PM
No suggestions yet? Here's another option:

I could do a major water change on the 90, bringing the pH up to near the grow-out's pH - this I can do by using my water aging barrel, as this is where my water comes from for the grow-out. The pH and temp are exactly the same as the grow-out, so that will help a lot.

After essentially doing a drop-and-plop, I could turn out the lights, and let the controller bring the pH down gradually. This usually takes about 6-8 hours to bring it from around 6.9 (80% water change straight from the tap with water treater) down to 6.1. My water sits at 7.2 straight out of the tap, and 7.4 after degassing - i.e. in my aging barrel. So, my question here would be this:

3. If I brought them out of the grow-out (pH 7.4) and into the 90 after an 80% water change using my aged and treated water (~ pH 6.9, possibly a little higher), would a drop-and-plop still be too stressful, or should I still drip acclimate?

This is currently the most likely option. Pardon my neediness, here - I inadvertently poisoned 5 discus and 3 rams recently, so I'm on pins and needles about this move. I could really use some pointers. Thanks!

yikesjason
06-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I am looking forward to seeing those discus in their true home. I am sure the real experts will chime in here soon, but I will give my 2 cents.

What is the ph in the 90 without co2? My understanding is that co2 cause changes in ph are not the issue.

These guys are not going to stop growing the instant they land in a planted tank. With a good clean up crew and regular maintenance, you can still feed pretty heavy in your 90.

I understand the nervousness after losings the other fish. But you know exactly what happened there and it is not something that is going to happen again out of the blue.

I say, if you are happy with the stability of the 90, move them. And I don't think it will be a big deal at all.

Darrell Ward
06-11-2010, 01:33 AM
As long as your pH and temp. is close to the same on both tanks, drop and plop em. It's way easier on the fish, as long as the parameters are the same. You can always fiddle with the weed tank after the fish have settled and adjusted. IMO, I would grow them out fully before I moved them, but they should do OK at 5" or so with proper care. This is coming from someone who thinks discus and a planted tank should not even be in the same fish room! :D

smsimcik
06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Here's some pics. of my Santerams I got from Hans last year. They were 3" when I got them. They were a full 12 months when I put them in the 100 gal. planted tank. They had no problems with the move. They adjusted very quickly.

Darrell Ward
06-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice fish Steve.

smsimcik
06-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks Darrell. Hans fixed me up.:)

ZX10R
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Here's some pics. of my Santerams I got from Hans last year. They were 3" when I got them. They were a full 12 months when I put them in the 100 gal. planted tank. They had no problems with the move. They adjusted very quickly.

I have a Santarem from Hans also but mine is about 2.5" and I have had him for about 2 months. Hope they grow up looking like yours those are some nice looking fish.

smsimcik
06-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks again. Yours' can grow up like mine too. No secrets to growing them up big and healthy. I did daily 90% water changes. And I fed my beefheart/seafood mix and ON Prime Reef flakes.

theblondskeleton
06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah, nice fish! Nice tank, too :) I suppose I'll wait a bit longer. Mine aren't quite that lovely yet - though they are getting there :) Now that I got the crazy schizoid algae issues I was having under control, the tank is looking really nice, and the Santarems will look absolutely beautiful in there. Patience, grasshopper. :P

ChloroPhil
06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Hey there,

I'd say wait to put them in the main display until they're at a size you're satisfied with and no sooner. Like you said, patience, grasshopper. :)

As for acclimation, Hans told us at NADA that he just dumps his fish from the shipping bags right into their tank, no acclimation. If the water in your display and the grow out tank is close a "net and plop" would work just fine.

Cheers,
Phil