PDA

View Full Version : Breeding solids with Heckles etc

matthewh2
06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Does anybody know what the general ruling of cross breeding solids like a white butterfly with say something like a snakeskin, does anybody on here do it or have done it, what was the outcome, or is it strictly solid to solid colours and so forth

regards

matt

Eddie
06-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Its more of a genetics issue than just mix and matching solids or patterned fish.

A white butterfly nor a snakeskin are heckel discus. A heckel is a wild variety with a more pronounced 5th bar, among other things.

What 2 types/strains are you thinking of crossing? You will get a better answer.

Eddie

matthewh2
06-06-2010, 04:49 AM
was thinking of a white swan/white scorpion with a red/blue leopard skin or an orange snakeskin with a same leopard skin or a male white scorpion with an red molboro which has got the throw back of pidgeon blood in it

Eddie
06-06-2010, 08:24 AM
was thinking of a white swan/white scorpion with a red/blue leopard skin or an orange snakeskin with a same leopard skin or a male white scorpion with an red molboro which has got the throw back of pidgeon blood in it

I'd keep pigeons with pigeons, that my opinion. I've made them bold above.

matthewh2
06-25-2010, 06:02 AM
thanks eddie have got some idea on it now, sorry took so long to get back, sometimes can't find the posts i put up on here lol, have got an orange snakeskin so may put her with blue leapord

Rex82
06-25-2010, 06:58 AM
thanks eddie have got some idea on it now, sorry took so long to get back, sometimes can't find the posts i put up on here lol, have got an orange snakeskin so may put her with blue leapord

you're missing the point matthew..... stick to pigeon lines cross pigeon lines and blue lines cross blue lines, leopard cross leopard.... etc you will get much better offspring

matthewh2
06-25-2010, 07:21 AM
ok so try and keep same same to get better strain of offspring, solids with solids, snakes with snakes, leopards with leopards, pidgeons with pidgeons, just like the ones in my avatar pic which have got and are now parents.

DiscusKev
06-25-2010, 07:58 AM

To check all topics made by YOU, go to your profile by clicking on your name located on the top right hand corner, eg: Welcome, DiscusKev. Then on that bottom left side corner are various boxes, click on Statistics. Here are two options that you can view, your posts and your threads, eg:

Find all posts by DiscusKev
Find all threads started by DiscusKev

HTH

Discus-n00b
06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Wouldn't it be cool to have a chart that showed what you get when you cross two strains? Wish it was that easy, but there are so many possibilities and strains for each strain. Like find the strain on the X axis, then the Y axis and see where your fingers meet. Ah well.

DiscusKev
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't it be cool to have a chart that showed what you get when you cross two strains? Wish it was that easy, but there are so many possibilities and strains for each strain. Like find the strain on the X axis, then the Y axis and see where your fingers meet. Ah well.

I'm sure everyone like myself would hope that one day someone would make such an application software which enables you to see the outcome from different crossing. However, if people would know the outcome, the fun of being able to guess would be gone :D but, it would be fun to see what it is, so one can strive to reach that outcome :p

If someone were to make it, I'm pretty sure it won't be free though, but who knows ;)

Tito
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm sure everyone like myself would hope that one day someone would make such an application software which enables you to see the outcome from different crossing.

This would seriously undermine the commercial Discus Breeder/Distributor - since part of the profit making machine of selling Discus is to not reveal how to develop strains. Good luck.

Eddie
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM

This is tough too unless you know what the parents are and if they are stable.

DiscusKev
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
This would seriously undermine the commercial Discus Breeder/Distributor - since part of the profit making machine of selling Discus is to not reveal how to develop strains. Good luck.

True, we are not buying the discus but we are actually buying the time invested from the breeder. It takes a lot of time and effort to make such strain. If it is revealed, then small breeders can go off and do the same.

Eddie has rised up a good point, and everyone should keep that in mind.