PDA

View Full Version : parent eating fry

hedut
06-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I got pair Albino royal blue, and just free swimming today but both parent seems eating all free swimming come close to them :(, any suggestion?

matthewh2
06-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Hi this behaviour is quite common in breeding discus i have a couple of questions for you

1 is both parents eating the fry or only of them eating fry
2 which one is more protective of the eggs/fry
3 does one of the parents instigate the eating
4 are they new parents first time
5 water parameters hard/soft, water ph etc
6 where are they situated, lounge etc what height do you have them.

some of these questions will help determine whats going on.

We would all like to have the perfect hatch and parenting, but in reality is difficult sometimes,
i have a pair which both looked after eggs really well, once free swimming fry they would be gone the next day, found it to be the female, put another female in there and bingo not more eating the fry.

if they are new and you really want them to be succesful have patience the will eventually get it right, if they feel threatened in any way they to can devour eggs/fry.

when i first started breeding i had the same problem and these fish that i bought as a proven breeding pair were doing the same, problem was i was paying to much attention to them and never really left them alone, i found out that the fish were kept in a confined area and not used to traffic around the house.
once i moved them they relaxed and only saw them once a day and got the results we all look for.

hope this helps
:)

hedut
06-06-2010, 08:20 AM
1 is both parents eating the fry or only of them eating fry
yup both parent
2 which one is more protective of the eggs/fry
male
3 does one of the parents instigate the eating
both of them if see free swimming they catch and eat them
4 are they new parents first time first time become proven pair
5 water parameters hard/soft, water ph etc 120 ppm
6 where are they situated, lounge etc what height do you have them.
is about one meter from the ground

mmorris
06-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Hendri, I know you are an experienced discus keeper, and this is a spawn we'd all like to see. Since they are albinos, I might be tempted to remove the female next time. Otherwise, patience. :) You could foster out the fry, but it would be nice, IMO, if you could get at least one parent to raise them successfully. That would be very special indeed.

vera
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Hendri, I know you are an experienced discus keeper, and this is a spawn we'd all like to see. Since they are albinos, I might be tempted to remove the female next time. Otherwise, patience. :) You could foster out the fry, but it would be nice, IMO, if you could get at least one parent to raise them successfully. That would be very special indeed.
sound advice Martha
Hendri make these beauties work b4 u sold them all:)

hedut
06-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm not experienced with breeding:D:D:D but thanks for input I'll keep that in mind;). so if I'm not wrong meaning we just keep parent that take care the eggs the most right?

sound advice Martha
Hendri make these beauties work b4 u sold them all:)
Thanks vera:)

mmorris
06-06-2010, 11:28 AM
so if I'm not wrong meaning we just keep parent that take care the eggs the most right?

:)

Right. Fingers crossed. :)

kaceyo
06-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Are you sure they are eating the fry and not just catching them to put back on the cone?

hedut
06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Are you sure they are eating the fry and not just catching them to put back on the cone?

I think so, right know I see fry every where but no one attach yet:( this my second pair:) from my whole fish

Eddie
06-07-2010, 06:56 AM
I think so, right know I see fry every where but no one attach yet:( this my second pair:) from my whole fish

Hendri, did you drop the water level down to make the pair tilt a little, the fry will bump into their dorsal fins and find them easier.

hedut
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Hendri, did you drop the water level down to make the pair tilt a little, the fry will bump into their dorsal fins and find them easier.

I did Eddie, the water now only 4" height is it to high? I saw the parent shaking their fin when fry try to close with them any clue anyone?

mmorris
06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Four inches is not too high. How many fry are there? If there are too few, the parents may not want to bother with them. How large a tank are they in? If you can make the space smaller with a divider of some sorts, that might help. Albinos are a special challenge, I'm afraid.

hedut
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Four inches is not too high. How many fry are there? If there are too few, the parents may not want to bother with them. How large a tank are they in? If you can make the space smaller with a divider of some sorts, that might help. Albinos are a special challenge, I'm afraid.

I use 29gln, I'll try use divider and see how they goes, not sure how many yesterday about 50

mmorris
06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Good luck, Hendri. Keep us informed.

hedut
06-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks aunty Martha:). just count them may just a dozen, I saw them swimming but they don't know where to go:(:(. I don't think they will serve:(. but I'll keep post it if they serve;)

matthewh2
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I would leave the male in next time, i had a pair white swans which fry could not attach too aswell, solution was to drop water level as mentioned earlier, also i painted the back of the tank a darker blue than that you see in the fish shops

good luck