PDA

View Full Version : my discus recipe i made

markandhisdiscus
06-06-2010, 10:07 AM
hi just thought id share this recipe as my fish went mad for it.

1 cup squid
1 cup prawns
1/2 cup hikari gold pellets
4 cloves of garlic
big double handfull of blanched spinach
1/2 cup cooked shelled peas
4 multivitamins ( crushed up)
4 spirulina tablets ( again crushed)
1 very ripe banana

Disgirl
06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Sounds quite yummy! I think I may add squid to my next batch like you did!
Barb:)

markandhisdiscus
06-06-2010, 03:09 PM
the banana makes a really good binding agent , it stays together really well and doesnt make much mess at all

fishorama
06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I added some calcium, citrate I think. I may try squid next batch. Mine are getting quite a taste for spinach, less so for carrot, at least in bite size pieces. Good job!

Frankr409
06-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I added some calcium, citrate I think. I may try squid next batch. Mine are getting quite a taste for spinach, less so for carrot, at least in bite size pieces. Good job!

Can I just have the squid for me, and you can have the rest?

Sounds like a great recipe. I especially like the fact that garlic made it into this recipe.

Jack Wattley had mused about banana and pear as a recipe item in some of the books I have read about Discus nutrition.

Personally, I would buy those items (banana/pear/peas) from the baby food isle as the add in and therefore not worry too much about those items being overly ripe. I would use Gelatin as a binder.

ifixoldhouses
06-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Can I just have the squid for me, and you can have the rest?

Sounds like a great recipe. I especially like the fact that garlic made it into this recipe.

Jack Wattley had mused about banana and pear as a recipe item in some of the books I have read about Discus nutrition.

Personally, I would buy those items (banana/pear/peas) from the baby food isle as the add in and therefore not worry too much about those items being overly ripe. I would use Gelatin as a binder.

I'd be afraid of salt being in the baby food? and the mix not freezing.

Eddie
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Looks really good Mark! I used to use a ripe banana in my mix and the mix was always really clean. I've since gone to adding more shrimp to help bind.

Let us know how the fish like it. I always finger the freshly made mix from the processor or grinder for the fish to try. Kind of like licking the bowl when you make a cake. The fish GO BANANAS for it. :D

Take care,

Eddie

markandhisdiscus
06-07-2010, 04:35 AM
thanks eddie . the fish love it , using this recipe the fish started feeding very quickly .

Aquaben19
06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Seems like the squid would also help in binding. Does it stay together well in the water?

markandhisdiscus
06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
yes it stays together much better than i had expected to be honest. after a while if it gets in the main flow of the filter little bits come off of it but i have found that this helps enduce feeding and then thhey go at the big chunk and its gone within seconds!

dark_spell
06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
what did you use to mix this up? food processor?

I would eat the ingredients myself..except for the pellets :p

markandhisdiscus
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
yeah i just blitzed it all up in a food processor. the tablets and hikari pellets i crushed up between 2 spoons 2st tho so they mixed in more evenly . the only really tedious bit was shelling all them peas :D

fishorama
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I thought the pea shelling was easier & less stinky than the shrimp peeling :D

markandhisdiscus
06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
nah i got ready peeled prawns :D