PDA

View Full Version : Need help convincing my parents.

Discus_1
06-06-2010, 10:25 PM
this is defenatly not easy espescially with my mom.
heres how she took it.
Me:
"hey mom the fish im getting for my 55g are bout $50 each there going to look awesome:)"

Mom:
"Garett thats wayyy to much for a fish that could die right away. and your not getting them."

Me:

"come on please!?!? ive been saving for awhile now."

Mom:
"Garett i dont want to get in to this crap now shut up"

Me:
":("

so guys , its pretty hard to convince my mom.as you can see.what do i do now?
i had everything planned...

pinoysport
06-06-2010, 10:57 PM
heres how she took it.
Me:
"hey mom the fish im getting for my 55g are bout $50 each there going to look awesome:)"

Mom:
"Garett thats wayyy to much for a fish that could die right away. and your not getting them."

Me:

Mom:

Me:

do chores... mow lawns... do what you need to do... make it happen,,,

KeonTheKing
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
watch whats making your mom mad be Extremley nice to her for 2 weeks. try to do alot of her work for her and then after a while when you see shes happy be like mom ive been wanting these fish forever and i saved up + its my money not your let me learn and explore -.-

j_li8
06-06-2010, 11:31 PM
If you plan on adding other fish with the discus then you could get those first and have them for a while to prove that you can keep those guys alive. Then get the discus later on. Only problem is you are going to have to have another tank to QT them before adding to the 55.

Or if you want to push it a bit you can do what I do and just get them since it sound like you plan on paying for it. Not saying its the best thing to do but thats what i do and eventually my parents stop harassing me about "wasting my money".

Discus_1
06-06-2010, 11:35 PM
yehh ill try but she juss thinks its a waste of money .
and if i get them wiff out asking she gett extremely pissed off. lol!
ill save up more and be super nice to her. like i dont see why i cant its my money.

any other options?

DiscusOnly
06-06-2010, 11:49 PM
You want my honest opinion?

Get less expensive fish for your 55gal. Keeping discus is expensive (not just buying them). I know it's your money so you may feel that you can spend it on whatever you like. I think it's a bad idea just to spend $50 and buy a single discus.

Here's a better idea.. go buy a bunch of quater size frys for about $50 and grow them out. Maybe it may be more acceptable that you are spending $50 for a few discus versus one.

GlennR
06-07-2010, 12:06 AM
You want my honest opinion?

Get less expensive fish for your 55gal. Keeping discus is expensive (not just buying them). I know it's your money so you may feel that you can spend it on whatever you like. I think it's a bad idea just to spend $50 and buy a single discus.

Here's a better idea.. go buy a bunch of quater size frys for about $50 and grow them out. Maybe it may be more acceptable that you are spending $50 for a few discus versus one.

I agree. And after raising them to a larger size, sell off a few to make a bit of a "profit". That'll show your folks how "smart" you are. ;) Parents just love it when their kids "prove" that they are smart! Then you'll have more leverage next time you want something from them...

IMO, juvies are more exciting and rewarding to raise anyway. They eat like little pigs, they will bond with you as they grow, and it's exciting to watch their colors develope.

Jen
06-07-2010, 12:45 AM
I agree raising Juvies is most rewarding.....like getting a kitten instead of getting a full grown cat....Your fish will recognize and interact with you....I raised all 6 of my discus from quarter sized fry and they are so fun....They rub up on my hands when i do water changes....It has been very exciting watching them come into their colors and seeing them develop personalities....Anyways...discus are a ton of work, but they are, by far the most rewarding pets i have ever kept :)

birdog
06-07-2010, 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=Discus_1;652183]this is defenatly not easy espescially with my mom.
heres how she took it.
Me:

Mom:

Me:

Mom:

Hahahahahaha, how funny is that, that sounds a lot like it went for me.

Me: honey I think our 26 gal is a bit small.

Wife: nah, don't think so.

Me : Yes it is, got a 90 gal in the way.

Wife : DID YOU ALSO ORDER A COMFORTABLE COUCH!!!!

matthewh2
06-07-2010, 05:42 AM
I would find a discus breeder and buy 5 to 6 young ones, would only cost you a 100 or so for the lot, atleast with them you are almost gauranteed a pair for breeding to, and will be honest with you there is nothing like rearing your own fish from a young age and pairing them off to have young of there own, that in its self is rewarding

;)

mmorris
06-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Save your money, try to find a local breeder selling fry, be nice to your mother, and wow her with discus facts. Let her know you are serious about discus by reading, reading and reading. "Mother, did you know that because of the nitrogen cycle..." "Mother, some people add shrimp to their bh mix and some add cod. What do you think?" "Mother, look at this picture of spawning discus. That little bit there is called a..." "Mother, look at this picture. this discus is a checkerboard and this discus is a turq. I will explain how to tell one from the other." "Mother..."
Show her you mean business.

machine77
06-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Your first problem was telling her how much they cost! HA HA You'll wise up then when you get a girlfriend, you'll be doing the same thing all over again! Good luck!

Nolan

target
06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
LOL, for me it went like this:

Me: Honey, I want a bigger tank

Wife: How big?

Me: Oh, 200 or 300 gallons

Wife: You have to buy me a bigger house first

Me: ..... done

DiscusKev
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I remember getting my first goldfish for about £1 each, and then many years later moved onto tropical fishes, got my first 4 angelfishes for £8 each. After getting into discus fish few years later, I got my discus fishes for £12 each, man I found it cheap compared to the LFS; I managed to get 3 quality discus for the price of 1 ugly duckling discus in the LFS.

So from my adventure, I didn't see £100-/+ as an expensive fish, as in I was willing to pay that much, don't know why, maybe because of the quality of the discus makes it worth it? Who knows the answer. :p :o The price just keeps going higher in correlation to a fish keepers journey haha.

I've been keeping fishes for about 8-9 years now and so people in the family knows how much I like the aquatic life, thus they know how deep I will go in pursuing my dreams :D

Well, if you've just started fish keeping, it is quite difficult to get past your parents speech as they are usually right, it would be like throwing money into the sea. If you've kept fishes for a long time, then its understandable since they know you can manage your pets :) Overall, not everything go well as planned, its life.

Save your money, try to find a local breeder selling fry, be nice to your mother, and wow her with discus facts. Let her know you are serious about discus by reading, reading and reading. "Mother, did you know that because of the nitrogen cycle..." "Mother, some people add shrimp to their bh mix and some add cod. What do you think?" "Mother, look at this picture of spawning discus. That little bit there is called a..." "Mother, look at this picture. this discus is a checkerboard and this discus is a turq. I will explain how to tell one from the other." "Mother..."
Show her you mean business.

Haha, Auntie Martha's advice sure are funny but reasonably correct. :D

LOL, for me it went like this:

Me: Honey, I want a bigger tank

Wife: How big?

Me: Oh, 200 or 300 gallons

Wife: You have to buy me a bigger house first

Me: ..... done

Money solves the problem once again, no money no talk :p

Discus_1
06-07-2010, 07:03 PM
man u guys are good.

i just dont have anybody that breeds discus in medicine hat i would have to go to calgary..

My mom always says at the pet store" oh! by these ones they have nice color your fish are all grey."

Me:
"Yes they are grey but they havent got the colors yet lol!"

anyway. but not alot of people sell discus that young do they?
ive never seen any that small for sale.
maybe next time april has a pair spawning maybe ill ask her for some of the fry.

DiscusKev
06-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Good idea, I'm sure april will help you out :) :thumbsup:

babakaty
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Far be it from me to get between you and your parents, but maybe you could go the educational route, you know, "look at all I'm learning about chemistry, biology, physics, etc. Gosh Mom, I could be out stealing cars, or something...." :o

Like some others have said, go slow and maybe work your way up (in price and difficulty) to some discus. Remember, alot of adults here (that would include me) have jumped into discus before they were ready and regretted not learning more before they did!

Do you have a local aquarium club or society? Are you a member? That's a great place to gain knowledge and support as well. What about at school? Maybe you could talk your science teacher into putting an aquarium in the clasroom?

Moms are kind of like alot of other people; they take some convincing when it comes to stuff like this. Be patient with her and don't give up. If she realizes you're really serious about it, she may eventually reconsider.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

mmorris
06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Haha, Auntie Martha's advice sure are funny but reasonably correct. :D

Reeeeeeeeeeeasonably? Do you want to see the back-side of my hand-bag, young man? :smash:

Chad Hughes
06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Reeeeeeeeeeeasonably? Do you want to see the back-side of my hand-bag, young man? :smash:

I love it when Martha gets sassy! :D

Sometimes this forum is better than anything on television! :p

joanr
06-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Your Mom is thinking ahead. Who is going to pay the utility bill for all those water changes? Buy the food and other supplies? If you can convince her that you will clean the tank, pay for the food etc., then you may stand a chance. Being a Mom myself, to three boys and a girl, having had two dozen or more assorted pets become my responsibility to care for, she may be having flashbacks to your previous pets? If not, just be upfront with her, do not act nicer than usual, Moms see right through that....and it's real annoying....lol. Good Luck!

DiscusKev
06-08-2010, 01:09 AM

prefer not to :o :angel:

Sharkbait
06-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Believe it or not...I've been waiting for my own discus for about...oh...I think two years now. Problem is that I need adults for my planted...and those can get pricey when you need at least 6.

I know you're young, but when you're older try convincing your fiance that instead of saving for a wedding and house, to spend $400 on fish. So be warned that it doesn't stop at the mom :)

I can see where your mom would come from - as my mom was the same way when I was growing up. The fish I had back then though, always came from a very bad LFS and weren't the hardiest of fish. So it was natural for her to think that they just 'died' due to lack of care.

The other posters are right that it is also not just the initial cost of the fish. Putting money into an aquarium is an investment that you don't see any return on (Financially. Aesthetically, yes - hopefully for many years). Things can (and most likely will) go wrong, and you'll need meds, you might want to add plants, change a background, change filter media...everything adds up. (You can tell I've had to explain these 'needs' [as opposed to wants] to my fiance before). Would you have enough budgeted to properly care for these fish?

I agree that you should start with some hardy 'non-discus' fish - angels perhaps? This way you get the experience, you prove to your mom that you know a thing or two about water chemistry, and you keep saving for the discus that you want, not the ones you'll get stuck with. Besides, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, if you're just starting with discus, juvies are more challenging and less hardy, correct? Patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait. All that jazz.

Whatever you decide, good luck :)

Discus_1
06-08-2010, 06:01 PM
lol. Yup! ive read quite abit about discus.

april said she'll have some 2inchers in a week or 2. so maybe ill get lucky?!

GlennR
06-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Get a white worm culture going. Your juvies will eat & grow like crazy. Be sure you've got a Python water changer/vac too, because you'll be changing a lot of water.

Taking care of juvies will "keep you out'a trouble" ....because you'll be too busy for it! Your mom should be thrilled. ;)

matthewh2
06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
How much do they sell there fish for over there and at what size, I know here in Australia we as breeders can sell discus the size of a twenty cent piece for around $20, depending on the strain of course, the more vibrant the pattern and colour the more $$$$ can recieve, i have around 3 fish shops here which i supply too now, but was not easy as took a while to master rearing the young, but is most rewarding watching your own young rear there next generation and so on.

Once your mum see's that these fish are the king of fresh water aquariums and see there wonderful colours am sure she will come around, She will love watching when your discus actually start courting and that she witnesses the pairs bowing to each other in their breeding rituals, Let mum also know that discus unlike any other fish both rear the young and care for the young together,
maybe show her some courting rituals on youtube can see some good courting on there

goodluck
C'mon Mum Let him get some discus you also will love them, my wife said the same now she says which ones she wants to keep and which ones she doesn't, we sit here for hrs watching them now and some of mine are nearly 10 " now and are absalutely gorgeous

If you were here in australia would give you a couple of young to start you off, Am sure you will make a good aquariust if you want it so bad.
:)

Discus_1
06-09-2010, 05:31 PM
aww thanks! i would take that offer like u wouldnt believe! lol!

yehh she knows the name of them and everything and i think she likes them alittle more. but ill show her alittle more soon.lol. i even brought a whole booklet about discus upstaris and read it in front of her. i think shes coming along alittle more:))

Chad Hughes
06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
some of mine are nearly 10 " now and are absalutely gorgeous

10"? You should contact the Guiness Book of World Records. That's a huge discus! :)

kush
06-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Explain to her how much a serious heroin habit costs. Tell her you're saving up for a motorcycle.

Discus_1
06-09-2010, 08:03 PM
LOL!

Discus_1
06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
lol funny story.

anyway . my granma came over and i showed her a picture of a snakeskin discus and she was like " Haha it looks like it has chicken pocs"

and i was like "umm ok lol"

shes funny.

fish4fun
06-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Get some red Turqs off of "discusaddicted" in Montreal.
$10.00 each plus shipping.

Shipping to Calgary (maybe even Lethbridge) would cost $100.00
So if you buy 20 fish for $200.00 plus shipping $300.00

The sell 10 of them for $20.00 each......LOL

DiscusKev
06-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Oh yeah, why did I forget about DA, he has one of the best red turqs I've ever seen!!! Amazing price for the piwo line too!!!

Hmm, $300 - (10x$20) = $100 and thats $10 each still :D

Discus_1
06-10-2010, 09:38 AM
oh wow ! thats pretty good.!

hmmmm....is he a sponsor on here?would i be able to see a picture of one of his turqs?

fish4fun
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79454

machine77
06-10-2010, 10:26 AM
we sit here for hrs watching them now and some of mine are nearly 10 " now and are absalutely gorgeous

:)

Well, if you have a 10" discus.. Let me share with you my unicorn ranch in my back yard!

Disgirl
06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Surely he must mean 10 centimeters! That is believable :D!
Barb

Darrell Ward
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
heres how she took it.
Me:

Mom:

Me:

Mom:

Me:

Just buy them anyway. Your mom can't send fish back.:D I use to pull stunts like this all the time when I was growing up.

Discus_1
06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
lol! i'd be grounded for ever ! haha.

lol . i think shes coming around.

fishorama
06-12-2010, 01:54 PM
lol! i'd be grounded for ever ! haha.

lol . i think shes coming around.

Lots of time for water changes then LOL

Ed13
06-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd use a three step approach: show maturity and responsibility, provide information, negotiate.

Save the money on your own, prefferably by working for it, be responsible in whatever you do, BEHAVE and don't give your parents any reason to doubt you. (you should be doing all of this anyway;))

Explaining coherently your desire to adquire them, your learned knowledge of them (might wanna leave out the whole water changes thing out of this and cleaverly disguise it as " mantaining the water quality";)) and showing them you researched on the seller/breeder will also be of help.

If this hasn't done it yet, negotiate;), gotta have something to negotiate with them though ;) that's why the above are important.

You basically have to show them you can secure the money yourself, that you know how to care for them or can get help otherwise, and that you'd be adquiring them from a reputable source that will stand behind their product.

Discus_1
06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
thats really good advice.
thanks.

yehh im trying to be good lol!
(pretty hard though haha)

XeBurnout
06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
It's more important to respect your mom even if you don't agree with her. You may want to show her that you are ready for more responsibility by behaving in a way that would make her comfortable knowing that a large expense will not be wasted.

Just keep in mind that what she says goes, like it or not. When you are an adult you may do whatever you want including deciding limits you may set on your own children.

Good luck and I hope that you can be the kind of person who earns what they have, it is much more rewarding.

Phil

mmorris
06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
.:D I use to pull stunts like this all the time when I was growing up.

You were a tough one to raise, weren't you, Darrell? :D

matthewh2
06-13-2010, 09:46 PM
i guess i measured bottom fin to top fin and not head to tail lol my mistake but have one discus which he is huge my measurements were abit obscurred :p

Darrell Ward
06-20-2010, 01:25 AM
You were a tough one to raise, weren't you, Darrell? :D

I suppose so. I had 2 much older brothers, that didn't help. :D