PDA

View Full Version : ph down

chongtk
06-08-2010, 04:52 AM
i have a dionizer unit and it works well till now i think the carbonate stuck it. so i was thinking to get ph down since i going to do 100% wc everyday. I saw a cheap brand ph down and exp onces at the fish shop should i use the cheap one? will it injured my fish ? egg? fry?

Scribbles
06-09-2010, 03:19 AM
PH Down will temporarily lower your PH but it may not keep it there. It may bounce back up in a few hours or days. HTH

Chris

Darrell Ward
06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Chris is right. It will lower your PH, but not for long. It will rise, and you will need to use more and more. It's not healthy for your fish to have PH bouncing around all over the place. Old timers use to call this "chasing the dragon", always chasing the PH, but can never keep it stable.

Chad Hughes
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
It all depends on what your KH is. The higher the KH, the faster the acid will become buffered and your pH will return to what it was. That being said, the cheapest acid you can buy is muriatic acid.

Best wishes!

MostlyDiscus
06-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Darrel is right on the bounce. Not good for discus. I buy one gallon of Muriatic acid at Lowes and its cost is under 10 bucks. Use a PH controller with the Muriatic acid. I find that sometimes my breeder systems ph will drop to as low as 5.2, thats if my meters are correct. I do a wc and the ph raises to around 6.2 and stays there with the help of the controller. PH going up doesnt seem to be a problem. PH going down too fast and the fish start jumping. Ed

DerekFF
06-12-2010, 03:23 AM
100% WC's? Thats a lot, i tried 80% daily for about a month and then my bill came and i had to sell off my 1st born to pay for it and also my time spent. Depends on tank size, but thats a lot of water.

Foxfire
06-12-2010, 08:32 AM
i have a dionizer unit and it works well till now i think the carbonate stuck it. so i was thinking to get ph down since i going to do 100% wc everyday. I saw a cheap brand ph down and exp onces at the fish shop should i use the cheap one? will it injured my fish ? egg? fry?
Uh, what is your pH in the tank?

chongtk
06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
its very high although i never measure but i know its high the cause the carbonate is so much.But nevermine i had this now http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1441849697&v=box_3#!/photo.php?pid=31340466&id=1441849697 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1441849697&v=box_3#!/photo.php?pid=31340466&id=1441849697

mathao
06-16-2010, 03:05 AM
100% WC's? Thats a lot, i tried 80% daily for about a month and then my bill came and i had to sell off my 1st born to pay for it and also my time spent. Depends on tank size, but thats a lot of water.

lol
i had to sell my leg to pay the water bill

chongtk
06-16-2010, 04:27 AM
lol
i had to sell my leg to pay the water bill

US water bill very exp meh?

mathao
06-16-2010, 05:24 PM
US water bill very exp meh?

sometimes, during the summer months, and there was 6 other people using the water too.water bills here in mn could go as high as 600 dollars.

deepflyball
06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Why lower your ph??? are you about to spawn discus?? My ph is 8.4 out of the tap and my discus grow and are doing fine. When i first started started i played with ph down. It always would jump back to 8.4 in 1 or 2 days. Kh or water hardnest only maters when you want to spawn some out Then you need soft water for the eggs to hatch. But just keeping discus high ph is no problem.
Jerry

Darrell Ward
06-17-2010, 03:07 AM
sometimes, during the summer months, and there was 6 other people using the water too.water bills here in mn could go as high as 600 dollars.

That's insane! I'd drill a well, or move. :D No way could I afford to pay outrageous utility bills and not starve!

XeBurnout
06-17-2010, 05:39 AM
Sir (Mr. Chong),

Hold up for a minute. It seems you are treating the symptoms not the problem. Go back to the beginning. Why is your pH high? When using a demineralizer and the Cation resin is exhausted the pH will be high. Check your conductivity and anything else you may be able to test for. Check for minerals which slip from an exhausted bed first; Na (Sodium) or Si (Silica) for the Cation and Anion respectfully. Although the conductivity should be enough.

Just so people know. The Cation resin is removing cations and exchanging them for a Hydrogen molecule. This De-cationized water is full of mineral acids and has extremely low pH (only about 2.0 to 3.0). This water then flows to the Anion resin where anions are removed. The result is fairly pure water. When one of the resins exhaust it upsets this balance in different ways.

Now keep this in mind, most demineralizers (or mixed bed demineralizers) are anion rich, in other words, they have more anion resin than cation resin, so it is normal for the cation to exhaust first. I would take a very hard look at your demineralizer since it is the most probable source of any problems.

Finally, if the resin is fine and you need to drop the pH, I would go the route of adding CO2 and not chemicals.

Good luck.

Phil

chongtk
06-19-2010, 06:04 AM
alot weird things == i think you not from malaysia so you dont know anything... and yes i breed discus

chongtk
06-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Why lower your ph??? are you about to spawn discus?? My ph is 8.4 out of the tap and my discus grow and are doing fine. When i first started started i played with ph down. It always would jump back to 8.4 in 1 or 2 days. Kh or water hardnest only maters when you want to spawn some out Then you need soft water for the eggs to hatch. But just keeping discus high ph is no problem.
Jerry
just becuase i breed discus thats why i want to make my water softer and ph lower. Comman sense pls bro