PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Kev_B
06-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi All, been a member here for a while now but this is my first post.
First of all I must say thank you to you all for the following:

-the loads of useful information here that has helped snowball what started off as an interest in Discus to a full bore addiction. (I dreamt last night I was capturing wild discus in the shallows of the amazon!)
-the fact that i now talk to my fish... :crazy:
-the time i spend watching the fish and the worry when something doesn't look just right.
-the time i spend watching and waiting for them to poop
-the fact that i get excited and actually cheer when that poop happens and looks healthy:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

I could go on with more semi-sarcastic quips about the time spent on these little guys but Im pretty sure you know how it is.

I got my girlfriend a pair of discus that caught her eye for Valentines day (the 55Gal tank we have was her X-Mas present from her dad) and we have since grown the group to a current total of 5. Weve lost 3 on top of those 5 but are chalking those up to inexperience in choosing which fish to buy and from where. (The 3 lost were from Big-Als here in Toronto). Weve since found a smaller LFS that we got the fish in the below pics from.
Ours is strictly a show tank setup as we dont have the room or time to take it any further. (but if i did.....look out lol)
Here are a few pics for you.

Cheers

Kev

discusmurderer
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi from trinidad west indies,I am Daryl! What do u call the fish in the first two pics? are they regular blue turqs? they are all healthy and nice.

Chad Hughes
06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus Kev! Looks like you're off to a great start!

Best wishes!

calihawker
06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Welcome Kev. Great first post. Nice discus!

David Rose
06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Welcome to Simply Kev. Best of luck growing out you juvies!

vera
06-09-2010, 12:52 AM
welcome to forum Kev - nice fish u've there and great news -yr significant one is in to it too !!
take care

Scribbles
06-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Welcome to Simply Discus! Nice group of discus you have there.

Chris

Kev_B
06-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi from trinidad west indies,I am Daryl! What do u call the fish in the first two pics? are they regular blue turqs? they are all healthy and nice.

Actually its the same fish and someone correct me if Im wrong but Im thinkin he's a Blue Turk.

Welcome to Simply Kev. Best of luck growing out you juvies!

With the exception of the Checkerboard PB and the WD they are all about 4-4.5 inches top to bottom including fins which is a decent size for the tank size and population so Im not to worried about growing them to "Arnold" proportions. Feeding them 2x daily with mix of FD BW, FD Shrimp and then tetra bits/flakes and doing bi-weekly cleanings/WC (about 40-50%).
The checkeboard PB is stunted and wont get any bigger but Im hoping the WD grows a bit to even out the size diff.

welcome to forum Kev - nice fish u've there and great news -yr significant one is in to it too !!
take care

Actually shes only somewhat into it, she always calls them "your fish" when we talk about them. She prefers her angels, ill post a pic of them in the other species forum when I get a chance.

Thanks all for the welcomes!

Kev_B
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
One more pic of my 3 larger Discus.

David Rose
06-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Nice shot... I love the group colors!