PDA

View Full Version : Red leopard discus:myth or truth, any particular difficulty breeding?

henward
06-10-2010, 04:14 AM
http://www.hawaiidiscus.com/images/super-white-leopard.jpg

i am obtaining a pair of these beauties.

now, myth or not. iw ould like ALL opinions and hopefully have FACTS too:D

some told me that albino and white strains do not produce mucous to feed babies. TRUE OR FALSE?

some said that white skinned discus such as albinos, snow whites are harder to breed. True or false?

SOme said that white breeds and as above, are harder because babgies are blind. true or false?

as above some say babies are hard to breed from these strains cos they are genetically weak and the yield from babies and eggs are little compared to eggs hatching. true or false?

and ANYTHING else i need to know from breeders out there.
My market is so small and we get no discus that i am not a threat in terms of export or import from this industry, i want to do this purely as ahobby.

all our importers and major breeders have shut shop to go to australia! because they cant make money here i think.

i do this for a hobby - and if im lucky to subsidise my extremely expensive hobby of fishkeeping lol

im getting apair of these, they have danced and laid before. once before but currently in a tank of lots of adults discus.

i am gonna grow them furtehr, get them stronger, fatter in my 1200L discus comm tank.
then next year jan or feb, when i ihav a tank avail, i will separate and breed them.

henward
06-10-2010, 04:18 AM
correction WHITE LEOPARD

twlee100
06-10-2010, 04:53 AM

some told me that albino and white strains do not produce mucous to feed babies. TRUE OR FALSE?

some said that white skinned discus such as albinos, snow whites are harder to breed. True or false?

SOme said that white breeds and as above, are harder because babgies are blind. true or false?

Could it be the fry are attracted to the black colour objects ? e,g the parent discus turn darker after spawn, fry moving towards black colour sponge filter .

Rod
06-10-2010, 05:46 AM

i am obtaining a pair of these beauties.

now, myth or not. iw ould like ALL opinions and hopefully have FACTS too:D

as above some say babies are hard to breed from these strains cos they are genetically weak and the yield from babies and eggs are little compared to eggs hatching. true or false?

and ANYTHING else i need to know from breeders out there.
My market is so small and we get no discus that i am not a threat in terms of export or import from this industry, i want to do this purely as ahobby.

all our importers and major breeders have shut shop to go to australia! because they cant make money here i think.

i do this for a hobby - and if im lucky to subsidise my extremely expensive hobby of fishkeeping lol

im getting apair of these, they have danced and laid before. once before but currently in a tank of lots of adults discus.

i am gonna grow them furtehr, get them stronger, fatter in my 1200L discus comm tank.
then next year jan or feb, when i ihav a tank avail, i will separate and breed them.

FALSE. Both white strains and albino strains produce mucous for the fry, though in the case of the albino it is often delayed by a few days.

FALSE. They are no more difficult to breed.

FALSE, they are not blind.

FALSE, they sound like bad discus keepers.

My advice is to ignore the poor advice you are receiving. I'm glad you found simplydiscus.

henward
06-10-2010, 05:52 AM
shazam!
well i am glad too!

the problem i guess is that many discus breeders here try to tell you its hard to put you off lol.
well thats my opinion, no doubt its difficult compared to some other species, but ... wtih good care and vigilence, im sure its a matter of persistence and good science as opposed to some trick up your sleeve right?
well,a nyways.

good to hear its all false.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

if the pair/parents are not as big and slightly stunted due to stress. so their full potential has not been reached, will th eir offspring be disadvantaged from the start or their genetics are still intact and has that full potential?
i mean really, im thinking, its gotta be nasty to fully alter the genetics of the fish right?

Rod
06-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Yes your instincts are good. :)

Discus are not the easiest too breed, but given good water and good care most will eventually spawn. Not every discus though, and even if they breed it is no guarentee of them being good parents. There is plenty that can go wrong, many things we can work around to a certain extent like fostering in the case of albinos and plenty of other 'tricks' you can use. But really there is no secret to it, good water and good food and your well on your way .

Don't worry about stunted parents, no effect on the offspring at all.

henward
06-10-2010, 06:04 AM
fostering wow.
tell me what that is? with white leopards, do i need to foster? or should give them a go first as they MAY be good parents?is that when mucous does not form? and you have to bring in a foster? lol

good water qual is not an issue, the tank will be very well filtered not to mention a automatic water changer that can be programmed to change up to 200% in this particular tank a day if needed lol whcih im sure it wont.

are all discus eventually good parents? or is it a matter of some are better than others?

good to know that stunting has no effect on future offspring.

i am also creating my own recipe of food, from what i have experienced in the past with my monstres, and applying that slightly to discus.

so when i start to breed, i will have a good effective recipe and get these discus fattening up hard core! and growing large.

Rod
06-10-2010, 06:45 AM
fostering wow.
tell me what that is? with white leopards, do i need to foster? or should give them a go first as they MAY be good parents?is that when mucous does not form? and you have to bring in a foster? lol

good water qual is not an issue, the tank will be very well filtered not to mention a automatic water changer that can be programmed to change up to 200% in this particular tank a day if needed lol whcih im sure it wont.

are all discus eventually good parents? or is it a matter of some are better than others?

good to know that stunting has no effect on future offspring.

i am also creating my own recipe of food, from what i have experienced in the past with my monstres, and applying that slightly to discus.

so when i start to breed, i will have a good effective recipe and get these discus fattening up hard core! and growing large.

I'd let the pair try first, they may get it in 1, they may never get it. Hard to say. Fostering is a good way to raise babies if you have a 'problem' pair, not just for albinos. i like turks or browns for fostering, but any good pair will do the job.

Some are definately better than others. Some never get it right, some never even breed. (always the one you most desperately want too..lol)

A good recipe is important, it must contain all the basics. But no need to go overboard, a beef heart and/or seafood mix is good, maybe some frozen bloodworms or Mal's freezedried blackworms , and a good discus pellet like tetra color bits or sera discus granules should be all you need.

henward
06-10-2010, 06:47 AM
how does fostering work?
how is it done?
curious. sounds complicated lol

Rod
06-10-2010, 06:57 AM
No, dead easy. You can do it lots of ways. Swap eggs, add eggs, swap fry, add fry, remove large fry and add baby fry, split good parents and give a spawn to each + others.

mmorris
06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
People have had good luck with whites - Bob Tools, for example. Few have had good luck raising albinos. My albino fry don't attach well - not only to their parents, but they don't attach to foster parents. Others have successfully fostered albinos.

NunoDinis
06-11-2010, 09:08 AM
here's a good way to not fostering with albinos, get albino intermediates to spawn, you should get about 25% of albinos.