PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried different background colors?

ZX10R
06-11-2010, 10:09 AM
I see most everyone goes with different shades of blue and black backgrounds all the time including me. But has anyone tried other colors for background say like brown, yellow, red, or even orange?

Just Wondering
Sean

pcsb23
06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Yep, have often used pale brown coloured backgrounds and will be doing again soon. I don't like dark background colours at all for discus, with the exception of yellow and white based discus which look really spectacular against them.

I've not tried orange, but would suspect that as long as it was pale it would be fine ;) All joking apart, paler or lighter colours tend to bring the vibrancy out me.

ZX10R
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I have one tank with blackground and white substrate and another BB that is baby blue on the bottom and sides. I am looking at getting another tank setup in my bedroom which the walls are a dark red. Was just wondering what a tank with yellow or some other color background would like like. Just fishing for ideas here.

Discus master
06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
I see most everyone goes with different shades of blue and black backgrounds all the time including me. But has anyone tried other colors for background say like brown, yellow, red, or even orange?

Just Wondering
Sean

Well eventually I will have a thin layer of black sand, drift wood and some floating plants so I am not even sure wht to do for a background, any sugestions? and wht kind of paint do you use on a glass tank, and is it safe now that it has water and fish in it?

ZX10R
06-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Well eventually I will have a thin layer of black sand, drift wood and some floating plants so I am not even sure wht to do for a background, any sugestions? and wht kind of paint do you use on a glass tank, and is it safe now that it has water and fish in it?

If you are going to paint the outside back and sides of a tank any paint would be fine. I used some old Benjamin Moore paint I had laying around from when I painted my bathroom. Just keep in mind if you paint it no changing it later unless you want to go threw all the trouble of stripping it off with chemicals. My one tank is BB and I am really starting to like it better then the one with substrate in it so much easier to clean. One solution for that is if you want black substrate is my brother just cover the bottom of his tank with a black tile. So it is still BB but a color he wanted. He also has floating plants in his and painted his back only with a brown with some gold flake mixed in.

mlw
06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I have blue discus and have been trying to find a pale orange background. In color theory blue and orange are complimentary colors so they would look fantastic.

Actually if you look at a color wheel the color directly across from it is it's compliment so if you like colored backgrounds and want your fish to really pop find its compliment.

Blue/Orange
Red/Green
Purple/Yellow

http://northlite.net/ps/images/color_wheel.gif

ZX10R
06-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I have blue discus and have been trying to find a pale orange background. In color theory blue and orange are complimentary colors so they would look fantastic.

Actually if you look at a color wheel the color directly across from it is it's compliment so if you like colored backgrounds and want your fish to really pop find its compliment.

Blue/Orange
Red/Green
Purple/Yellow

I would love to see that orange background with blue fish. You will have to post some pics if you get that done. I am leaning towards maybe a yellow background with some brown, blue, and red discus in it.

Discus master
06-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Blue/Orange
Red/Green
Purple/Yellow

http://northlite.net/ps/images/color_wheel.gif

Thats crazy nice post!

Discus master
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
If you are going to paint the outside back and sides of a tank any paint would be fine. I used some old Benjamin Moore paint I had laying around from when I painted my bathroom. Just keep in mind if you paint it no changing it later unless you want to go threw all the trouble of stripping it off with chemicals. My one tank is BB and I am really starting to like it better then the one with substrate in it so much easier to clean. One solution for that is if you want black substrate is my brother just cover the bottom of his tank with a black tile. So it is still BB but a color he wanted. He also has floating plants in his and painted his back only with a brown with some gold flake mixed in.

yeah but how to get tiles in a water filled tank? sounds nice though liike the bottom of some swining pools. If I did go with black sand as a substrate I am talking like a half an inch.

ZX10R
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
yeah but how to get tiles in a water filled tank? sounds nice though liike the bottom of some swining pools. If I did go with black sand as a substrate I am talking like a half an inch.

Just make sure the tiles are clean and disinfected and reach in and lay them on the bottom. When I did my first tank with substrate I added it first then filled the tank with water no fish in the tank yet. It took about a day of running the tank empty with both my filters going until the water was clear and not cloudy anymore.

fishyj
06-13-2010, 12:38 AM
I used on a 45 of mine a combo of black,white,red,yellow,and tan by sponging it on. I liked the combo of colors until the tank broke. I did pick up another tank and just did the bottom of the tank again. You can see it in this picture:

jeffh2
06-13-2010, 05:11 AM
I use OSHA safety yellow for mine. Looks great with plants and discus.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7ii_86tTPH0/TAFZghr4gsI/AAAAAAAAA4U/7tJAQQxW0rE/s800/m_fishtank%20042.jpg

zamboniMan
06-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I am going to be trying white for blue and red discus. I'll post it when I get the time to set it all up.

ZX10R
06-14-2010, 07:47 AM
I use OSHA safety yellow for mine. Looks great with plants and discus.

I like that gives me a idea of what a yellow tank looks like which is what I am wanting to do.

yikesjason
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I used some left over latex paint from my living room, color "peanut butter" It is a light tan with a touch of orange. I like it. And if you use a latex paint, it will just peal off if you want to take it off.

Eddie
06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
All my tanks are painted different colors and most are a light shade or pastel.

fishorama
06-15-2010, 07:25 PM
I never thought I'd say rhis but the ballet slipper pink is quite nice. Plain white too. Mine have cardboard tan, works for now.