PDA

View Full Version : This is so frustrating!

Terrybo
06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I've had this discus since August 2008. She lays eggs periodically, and is pretty bossy with with the other discus in the tank. She started get dark periodically, then more often, and finally, stayed dark most of the time. I've treated with metro a couple of times, (following Carol's recommendations from years ago as to temperature, frequency, and dosage), but she never brightened up. About a month ago, she really started going downhill. I had read an article that said sometimes, when a discus is cleared of metro, tapeworms and flukes flourish. Just in case, I dosed with prazi. Then, out of desperation, I applied my experience with sick kittens to her case - we have had kittens that stay on metro for 6 weeks or more before getting better, so I've started dosing with metro every 3 days (and leaving the tank temperature at my normal 86 degrees). She is eating well, takes food out of my hand and rushes the glass to greet me. She also gets in scuffles with the other discus. I just don't think she is gaining weight. And her gills are really bad looking, but she does not breathe rapidly, or rub on anything in the tank. Does anyone have any ideas? :confused: (I didn't include tank parameters because the other discus are fine). The second picture is of the sick fish with one of the other discus that I purchased at the same time.

Terry

Eddie
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Treat with Levamisole in water or Fenbendazole in food. The fish has internal nematodes. Prazi is limited to treating tapeworms (cestodes).

Eddie

Terrybo
06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Eddie. I'll give it a try.

Terry

Eddie
06-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks Eddie. I'll give it a try.

Terry

Anytime Terry! When a fish eats well and continues to waste away, it is generally internal nematodes. ;)

Best of luck,

Eddie

kitykatfunkiehat
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Same thing happened to me! Woulda saved the fish if I knew Eddie, but I didn't back then :/

Terrybo
06-15-2010, 11:49 PM
I've ordered the De-worming flake from Angels Plus. It contains Fenbendazole. Hopefully my discus will eat it - they are not fond of flakes. I'll update after I receive my order and treat the tank. I know Jungle makes a anti-parasite food that contains metro, prazi, and fenbendazole, but I figure the Angels Plus food will be more palatable, and I've already used metro and prazi, (at doses I can control).

Terry

Eddie
06-15-2010, 11:57 PM
I've ordered the De-worming flake from Angels Plus. It contains Fenbendazole. Hopefully my discus will eat it - they are not fond of flakes. I'll update after I receive my order and treat the tank. I know Jungle makes a anti-parasite food that contains metro, prazi, and fenbendazole, but I figure the Angels Plus food will be more palatable, and I've already used metro and prazi, (at doses I can control).

Terry

If the fish do not already take the flake, you may have a hard time getting them to take the deworming flake. You may try starving them a day before you introduce it. Its hit or miss with the Jungle pellet, I've had fish take it but its not very common.

Eddie

Terrybo
06-20-2010, 08:54 PM
The Angels Plus deworming food calls for 5 feedings of the medicated food, every other day over a 10 day period. I've given my fish 2 feedings, with another one due tomorrow. (I'm treating my angel tank as well, just to be on the safe side). Luckily, all the fish will eat the flakes, although the sick discus does not eat quite as much as the others. Unfortunately, since my tanks are heavily planted, I don't see any expelled worms, so I'll just have to be patient, complete the treatment, and see if my sick fish starts gaining weight.

Terry

Eddie
06-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Capillaria are not visible without a microscope.

Eddie

Terrybo
06-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Capillaria are not visible without a microscope.

Eddie

Then I guess I'm not missing anything! ;)

Eddie
06-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Then I guess I'm not missing anything! ;)

:D

darbex
06-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Eddie could this be the same cause that causes what would seem like a healthy discus one day to go completely black and die the next? Hope they get better Terry.

Terrybo
06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Hope they get better Terry.

Thanks! Luckily, only the one discus is sick.

The medicated food treatment is definitely well tolerated - two of the discus are spawning!

Terry

Eddie
06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks! Luckily, only the one discus is sick.

The medicated food treatment is definitely well tolerated - two of the discus are spawning!

Terry

Thats good to hear Terry, how is the sicky doing? Hopefully the flake will fix him up.

Eddie

Terrybo
06-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Sicky still looks like cr*p, but she is fiesty and eating. She got in a fight with the spawning pair and ate a lot of their eggs! If she ever starts looking better I'll post another picture of her. (You know, the before and after shots).

Terry

Eddie
06-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Sicky still looks like cr*p, but she is fiesty and eating. She got in a fight with the spawning pair and ate a lot of their eggs! If she ever starts looking better I'll post another picture of her. (You know, the before and after shots).

Terry

Well, it sounds promising. After the deworming treatment, pump her up with some good foods like Mal's worms or a nice mix.

All the best,

Eddie