PDA

View Full Version : Another Earthquake!

Chad Hughes
06-15-2010, 12:35 AM
We just had a 5.9 mag in San Diego. No busted tanks..... I'll sleep with one eye open tonight. :(

Anyone else feel that one?

Kenny's Discus
06-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Chad,

I was just talking with Bill (IED) and he told me the same thing about experiencing the earthquake! 5.9? Hope everyone in your area are okay...I'm in northern CA here and didn't feel a thing.

Kenny

Chad Hughes
06-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Chad,

I was just talking with Bill (IED) and he told me the same thing about experiencing the earthquake! 5.9? Hope everyone in your area are okay...I'm in northern CA here and didn't feel a thing.

Kenny

Kenny,

I'm sure Bill felt just about what I did. We're not far from each other. All is well so far. Haven't felt any aftershocks, but there are plenty listed on the US Geological website. We've had quite a bit of this going on lately.

I'm glad you guys didn't feel it! It's a very strange feeling. Naturally I run out to the fish room to make sure everything is still OK! :D

Thanks for checking in Kenny! Be well!

Best wishes.

vera
06-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Do u have earthquakes often in yr area Chad?
thats terrible feeling to worry for all fish and tanks
hope no damage from this one
GL

Elite Aquaria
06-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Chad,

I am glad that all went turned out fine for you.

ZX10R
06-15-2010, 07:57 AM
We had a earthquake near my home here in Kentucky two years ago around 5 a.m. I have never been in one before and I was freaked out waking up to that. Kind of one of those hopeless feelings sitting there feeling your house shake and rattle. Glad to hear you didn't get the big one.

acroken
06-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Glad everything is fine there Chad. i experienced a few when i was living there and understand how you feel. nature's strength is amazing. The worst one i experienced was around 1999? in southern cali. It emptied half of my tanks as it shook. Strange feelings prior to them hitting. why do they usually happen at night?

Kenny

Chad Hughes
06-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Do u have earthquakes often in yr area Chad?
thats terrible feeling to worry for all fish and tanks
hope no damage from this one
GL

Vera,

Well, until this year, I would say that the answer to that question would be no. We don't get many earthquakes. I've live in Souther California for over 20 years and until 2010 I could count on one hand how many earthquakes I felt. In the past few months we've had some pretty good ones. Weird thing is I think I'm getting used to them.

Thanks for checking in! No damage. I built the fish room to last! LOL! :D

Chad,

I am glad that all went turned out fine for you.

Thanks Dan! I appreciate you checking in!

We had a earthquake near my home here in Kentucky two years ago around 5 a.m. I have never been in one before and I was freaked out waking up to that. Kind of one of those hopeless feelings sitting there feeling your house shake and rattle. Glad to hear you didn't get the big one.

It is a weird feeling, especially if you are asleep. When I was stationed in Japan I got a warm welcome from mother nature in the form of an earthquake. I was staying at the Navy Lodge and at about 5 am a single slam knocked the headboard of the bed against the wall. That was it. I didn't know what it was. Needless to say I didn't go back to sleep.

Later that morning the news reported a 5.2 mag.

Glad everything is fine there Chad. i experienced a few when i was living there and understand how you feel. nature's strength is amazing. The worst one i experienced was around 1999? in southern cali. It emptied half of my tanks as it shook. Strange feelings prior to them hitting. why do they usually happen at night?

Kenny

Nature's strength is very impressive for sure! This one was relatively short. Only about 5 seconds. The last one we had a few months ago was lengthy and yes, it did cause the tanks to slosh so bad that water was lost. The fish room will maintain itself no matter what happens. Right around that time I had a tank crack. It had 10 juvie Albino Red Turqs from Bill at IED in that tank. I have no idea when it cracked, but the central system kept the water level at 1/2 capacity until I discovered the break. Had I lost all 10 I would have been highly upset. LOL!

Anyway, I've felt them day and night. The last big one that hit here was ona Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for checking in Kenny!

Best wishes!

Disgirl
06-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey Chad, glad to hear you built your fishroom to earthquake specs! Just like here our house is built to hurricane winds specs!
Barb:D

Chad Hughes
06-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Hey Chad, glad to hear you built your fishroom to earthquake specs! Just like here our house is built to hurricane winds specs!
Barb:D

Barb,

Although I never really took earthquakes in to consideration when I built the room, it appears to be holding up quite well. Fingers crossed! I'm not sure what's worse, a hurricane or an earthquake. Neither is any fun!

Take care!

David Rose
06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Probably really wasn't an earthquake at all...just the members of SD around the world stomping their feet like a drum roll awaiting the winner to be announced for the challenge contest :drummer:

Chad Hughes
06-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Probably really wasn't an earthquake at all...just the members of SD around the world stomping their feet like a drum roll awaiting the winner to be announced for the challenge contest :drummer:

LOL! Now it all makes sense! :D

Scribbles
06-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Glad to hear that everything is ok after the quake Chad. I was thinking of you when the news announced that it was near San Diego. To be honest I never even thought about fish tanks breaking in an earthquake. I figured that they were heavy and stable enough unless the big one hit. My problems have always been with panicked birds and horses injuring themselves. I hope that you don't get any more. Hold on tight.

Chris