PDA

View Full Version : Discus Grow out ideas... Help please.

bstreep
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
OK, here's my planted tank, with no discus:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=80005

It's 215 gallons, and has a sump of about 60 gallons (this was previously a Reef system). All is well with the tank, so far.

Also connected in is my old refugium. It's about 50 gallons. My plan is to use this as a grow out tank - it is bare bottomed, with PC lighting.

It currently is a flow thru system, where part of the tank's overflow goes into the refugium, and it overflows to the sump. GPH are variable, up to about 500 or so, but right now I'd say it's at about 50 gph.

So, the question(s):

Should I leave this like it is, with the 215 plus 60 gallon sump providing fresh water to the grow out tank? The system has a very low bio load, for it's size. I can easily change about 40 gallons in the total system, every other day.

Or, should I isolate the grow out tank, and every day or every other day, drain it half way down, and replace it with either (1) big tank water (again changing about 15% of it every other day) or (2) brand new water?

The "new" water can be RO/DI water or a combination of aged tap and RO/DI water (our local water is hard as a rock, and alkaline). When using RO/DI water, I re-add dissolved solids.

Or, other options? I'm open to suggestions.

Right now my inclination is to use big tank water, every day or every other day. It's well aged, low nutrients (it has 80 cardinals and 8 rams in it), and a reasonable TDS/DKH for plants. pH is 7.0-7.1.

Eddie
06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't use the 215 planted substrate tank for growout. I would advise a smaller tank. The size of the fish/amount will determine the right size tank. Definitely go barebottom and discus only. You'll be much happier with the outcome.

Eddie

kitykatfunkiehat
06-15-2010, 11:17 PM
No no Eddie, he's saying he wants to use his 50 gallon old refugium as the grow out tank.

Lillee
06-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Hi Bill,

Novel idea. On the up side, you have alarger volume of water to play with allowing for more stable water conditions overall. So long as you are aware of the overall condition of both tanks I suppose it is no better or worste than a central filter system in a bigger setup.

If it were me I would be wary that daily large percentage waterchanges are still preferred for growing out. I am not sure if 15% every other day as you say will be enough. I'd prefer at least 30% water change daily. Beefheart is very messy stuff!

For ease I would probably isolate the growout and change that water daily.This will give you confidence to feed your young fishies properly without fearing that you'll polute the system.

I really do like your big tank it looks great!

bstreep
06-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Bill,
For ease I would probably isolate the growout and change that water daily.This will give you confidence to feed your young fishies properly without fearing that you'll polute the system.

I think I'm liking this idea - to siphon out most of the water from the growout daily or every other day, and then refill from the big tank. That way they will have a consistent supply of the same water.

Eddie
06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
No no Eddie, he's saying he wants to use his 50 gallon old refugium as the grow out tank.

My bad, missed that but since it is a connected system, I'd not have the 215 involved at all.

Eddie

Lillee
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
I think I'm liking this idea - to siphon out most of the water from the growout daily or every other day, and then refill from the big tank. That way they will have a consistent supply of the same water.

Once you start feeding them regularly and often, you will see why people recommend bare bottom tanks for grow out! ;) If feeding 6 times a day etc, once every other day will become too long between changes in my experience. Anyway I am sure you will work out the right balance

mathao
06-16-2010, 11:38 PM
i would definatly go with a whole different grow out tank and used the water from the 200g for water changes.