PDA

View Full Version : What about that fish place?

Discus master
06-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I use to get fish from there, before I found a breeder only an hour and 20 minutes from my house. I know they use seperat canster filters heaters and water for their discus they even keep them in a seperate room from the ret of the other fish it seems like they try with theres? I have een the way they care for them and their stock most of the time does not look to bad so what do the experts say about that paticular LFS??

mmorris
06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I haven't done business with them, but their discus don't seem to come highly recommended. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=65232&highlight=fish+place

Eddie
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Go with a sponsor, way better quality and excellent service.

acroken
06-16-2010, 12:55 PM
I would stick with a sponsor here on Simply. I have never bought any fish from TFP. As i see it, it's a win win for you. you get fish at a lower price and from a person who has a lot on the line to supply quality discus. They sponsors here all work hard at delivering the best quality discus possible. I know it is nice to see the fish in person and make your selection, but if you read through some of the posts about SD sponsors you will find these sponsor know exactly what you are looking for and deliver time and time again. Just my 2 pennies.

Kenny

David Rose
06-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm from the area as well and would highly recommend buying from a sponsor here on Simply Discus. You'll get much better quality and knowledgeable assistance.

draal5
06-16-2010, 05:00 PM
they get discus indirectly from Hans not always the best quality (left overs not sold ) they have changed fish room managers you should see some improvement in quality.

David Rose
06-16-2010, 06:01 PM
they get discus indirectly from Hans not always the best quality (left overs not sold ) they have changed fish room managers you should see some improvement in quality.

On occasion they get Hans's discus, but not on a regular basis. I just want to make that clear, so this thread doesn't take a wrong turn.

Regardless, I believe LFS are notorious for not have experienced fish keepers; especially, discus keepers which as we know their health can turn for the worst over night in the wrong hands or without consistent care.

Discus master
06-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Well I want to ay first I am not buying from that fish place I have before and I ended up loosing 3 of 5 that I have bought there. I go to a breeder now gwynnbrook farms near me, I was just wondering if any one knows their source for fish? if they get good stock and if they take care of them properly? I do know the store in Lancaster PA has them in a seperate room in high tanks with their own heaters and each one has it's own Rena canister filter so they are seperated from the main stock and off the central filtration system have their own heates and filtration so thats got to be a god start. The one fish keeper there who primarly takes care of them seems to know what she is doing as she is keeping discsu her self. I was just wondering what everyone else thought as I do not think that fish place is your average local mom and pop shop but then again either is pet co or petsmart and I doubt they would keep nice discus and perhaps a local mom and pop shop would be ran by some one who knows discus and how to keep them? thoguhts on this? what is an LFS considerd to be?

DiscusOnly
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
That Pet Place had decent fish 20+ years ago. I would not buy livestock from that store even if it was discounted. They do have a nice selection of Plants.

As for their discus. They bring in small juvies. Regardless of where they come from, they will turn good discus into bad discus. It doesn't matter if they have a separate system and staff that may know how to take care of discus, discus will not do well if they stay at the store too long. This is the case almost all big LFS.

Look at like this. How many times do we hear about the amount of wc and feedings SD members go through when growing out discus? That ain't happening at the LFS. They will be lucky if fed once a day and WC at all. You are not going to see full belly discus at most of the LFS and this is the time when they need to be fed constantly.

Discus master
06-17-2010, 09:06 AM
That Pet Place had decent fish 20+ years ago. I would not buy livestock from that store even if it was discounted. They do have a nice selection of Plants.

As for their discus. They bring in small juvies. Regardless of where they come from, they will turn good discus into bad discus. It doesn't matter if they have a separate system and staff that may know how to take care of discus, discus will not do well if they stay at the store too long. This is the case almost all big LFS.

Look at like this. How many times do we hear about the amount of wc and feedings SD members go through when growing out discus? That ain't happening at the LFS. They will be lucky if fed once a day and WC at all. You are not going to see full belly discus at most of the LFS and this is the time when they need to be fed constantly.

Agreed, so if one were to buy from the LFS it would be better to buy the stock the 2nd it gets in so you can take it home and care for it properly? the longer it is at the lfs the worse off the discus will be for it? at least thats what I am hearing.

DiscusOnly
06-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Agreed, so if one were to buy from the LFS it would be better to buy the stock the 2nd it gets in so you can take it home and care for it properly? the longer it is at the lfs the worse off the discus will be for it? at least thats what I am hearing.

Yes and No. I've tried and have purchased fish from LFS the day it comes in. I've asked and have purchased cardinals and Black neon from store on the day that it came in and they made it clear that I would have to accept it "as is". This mean don't come back 30 minutes later saying they are all dead when I got it home. I've asked to buy heckels this way and they refused. The sad part was those heckles sat in the same tank for weeks wasting a away.

If you are working with a smaller store, you may ask them to order discus for you but then what's the point? Just go to one of the sponsor here and do some leg work yourself.

mmorris
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM

That Fish Place is listed on the Stendker website as a Stendker retailer. In my experience Stendker retailers sell only Stendker, although it is possible they may get discus from elsewhere now and again. There is no reason why one particular lfs should be getting the Stendker leftovers when the majority of Stendker sales are to lfs. Lfs tend to sell to people with limited, if any, knowledge of discus. Therefore, it is not in the financial interests of the lfs to purchase more expensive but quality discus. There are exceptions: a very few lfs cater to, and specialize in, discus.

Discus master
06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
That Fish Place is listed on the Stendker website as a Stendker retailer. In my experience Stendker retailers sell only Stendker, although it is possible they may get discus from elsewhere now and again. There is no reason why one particular lfs should be getting the Stendker leftovers when the majority of Stendker sales are to lfs. Lfs tend to sell to people with limited, if any, knowledge of discus. Therefore, it is not in the financial interests of the lfs to purchase more expensive but quality discus. There are exceptions: a very few lfs cater to, and specialize in, discus.

I think I understand what you are saying thanks for the advice everyone I was just curious.