PDA

View Full Version : Mating dance?

DerekFF
06-17-2010, 02:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcjvb-40oI&feature=youtube_gdata
Anyone confirm if this is mating behavior? It's not all caught here, but the male ss and my big pb are pecking the hell out of the female. This normal? She's starting to show signs on her scales of all the picking

DerekFF
06-17-2010, 01:03 PM
bump. anyone? I checked this morning after they had slept all night....i think anyways, and the female looks a little stressed but ate normally this morning. I have some video, but cant post now of the female making dry runs at the spawn site. Is this because she is still a little young? (around 11 months)

David Rose
06-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Appears to be plain aggression IMO based on the video. Not good if there is damage happening. I would consider separating the damaged one before she is too stressed and develops health issues to give her a break. I've actually had better luck separating the aggressor to shake up the pecking order and allow the weakened to heal up in their home tank. Just my two cents...but maybe I'm missing something.

deepflyball
06-17-2010, 10:44 PM
+ 1

Jerry

pinoysport
06-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I am no way a pro. but here is what I would do if they were my fish...

are the doing the mating dance? no .

from what I see is at the 1:40 sec mark the PB comes in and the lighter blue one tries to bow and the darker blue one became more aggressive.

My guess is that the PB may be a F and the two fighting are M. They are fighting over her.

They dont seem to be phased by the RMs in there.

So for me I would let the two M go at it to establish dominance as long as they dont get too beat up like david said. I would also watch that Pb very closely.

Im not pro but that is what I would do if they were my fish.

Discus-n00b
06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Looks more like aggression to me too. Heres one of my older pairs doing a slight dance. Shows you some stuff to look for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiIGgppcCXM

David Rose
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Any updates Derek?