PDA

View Full Version : Useful WC tip's for BIG tanks using a FX5!

machine77
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Alot of us dread the water changes healthy fish need, which can make the hobby less enjoying, but have no fear, i have found something that totally made it super easy so that its not a chore that you dont look forward to doing..Im setting up my 135 tank with 2 fluval FX5's and was always dreading the WC's, knowing that on my previous 100g took forever using a rio2100 to refill and draining via syphon with 1" hose.. Thinking how can i make it easier on myself and cut the time down. Should i bulkhead my tank for a gravity drain which is fast and effective but leaves you with a hole in your tank, should i buy a pump to pump the water out? Or just syphon it out the slow way..

I came up with this, Fluval FX5 comes with a seperate aquastop valve (http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RHG30216) which you can attach whatever length on 3/4 to 1" size hosing to. Simply remove the exhaust from your fluval FX5, attach the spare valve with hose leading wherever and turn on. If the FX5 filters 900+ gallons an hour, you do the math on your perticular tank, its a beast!!

I keep my pick up tube about 3" from the bottom of the tank being its BB. This setup will empty 3/4"s of my tank in about 7 minutes or less, and im only using 1 FX5. Very effective in both cost and time! After which i use a MAG #24 to fill my tank which takes less then 8 min max! As a final thought, as far as vacuming goes, position your exhaust in your tank so that the current takes all the poop and grim to one side of the tank, in my situation, i have it pushing everything into each side of the tank, it forms in a small group which i then suck up, leaving the center and about 70% of my tank clean. It then takes less then 3 minute's or less to clean up!

Hope this helps as i wasted so much damn time just to find out what i had works way better and saves me money!

Nolan

Chad Hughes
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Alot of us dread the water changes healthy fish need, which can make the hobby less enjoying, but have no fear, i have found something that totally made it super easy so that its not a chore that you dont look forward to doing..Im setting up my 135 tank with 2 fluval FX5's and was always dreading the WC's, knowing that on my previous 100g took forever using a rio2100 to refill and draining via syphon with 1" hose.. Thinking how can i make it easier on myself and cut the time down. Should i bulkhead my tank for a gravity drain which is fast and effective but leaves you with a hole in your tank, should i buy a pump to pump the water out? Or just syphon it out the slow way..

I came up with this, Fluval FX5 comes with a seperate aquastop valve (http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RHG30216) which you can attach whatever length on 3/4 to 1" size hosing to. Simply remove the exhaust from your fluval FX5, attach the spare valve with hose leading wherever and turn on. If the FX5 filters 900+ gallons an hour, you do the math on your perticular tank, its a beast!!

I keep my pick up tube about 3" from the bottom of the tank being its BB. This setup will empty 3/4"s of my tank in about 7 minutes or less, and im only using 1 FX5. Very effective in both cost and time! After which i use a MAG #24 to fill my tank which takes less then 8 min max! As a final thought, as far as vacuming goes, position your exhaust in your tank so that the current takes all the poop and grim to one side of the tank, in my situation, i have it pushing everything into each side of the tank, it forms in a small group which i then suck up, leaving the center and about 70% of my tank clean. It then takes less then 3 minute's or less to clean up!

Hope this helps as i wasted so much damn time just to find out what i had works way better and saves me money!

Nolan

Nolan,

Another way that I have seen the FX5 configured is with a "T" and two valves on the return side of the filter. Just adapt some PVC to the FX5 plumbing. One side of the "T" returns to the tank and the other side you can use as a flush port. With the filter running, turn off the return valve and open the flush valve and that puppy will drain a tank quick! This may be faster than the small drain port.

Food for thought!

machine77
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Your right chad... Thanks for the input and i think ill switch to that! Killer fishroom btw.. Good luck on the contest! looks like you might nab it!

Nolan

Sharkbait
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Now with a setup like this...you still have to syphon debris right?

Having a planted tank, organic material builds up. I'd love to use the FX5 for a means to flush the tank, but I'd still have to syphon debris. Do you do this the normal way into the bucket?

Water changes for me take about an hour, sometimes an hour and a half depending on if I'm cleaning the FX5 and how much trimming I have to do.

machine77
06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Now with a setup like this...you still have to syphon debris right?

Having a planted tank, organic material builds up. I'd love to use the FX5 for a means to flush the tank, but I'd still have to syphon debris. Do you do this the normal way into the bucket?

Water changes for me take about an hour, sometimes an hour and a half depending on if I'm cleaning the FX5 and how much trimming I have to do.

Yes i still syphon waste ect.. into a small rubbermade trash can which i then empty and through all my cleaning supplies into along with my hose. I have no experince with planted tanks, but i do know, if you have a high output return in filling the tank it can sometimes make a mess by disturbing the bottom, thats why i have used a sock zipped tide to the end inside the tank, no worry of upsetting the media, sand, gravel or whatever and water stay's crystal clear!

Nolan

yikesjason
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
By using the purge (drain) valve instead of a "T" on the return line, you will also be flushing a lot of the crap out of the canister. You would be cleaning the filter and doing a water change at the same time. It would not be a complete filter cleaning, but would probably mean less frequent filter maintenance.

machine77
06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Im into this for purely the draining of water.. Nothing else. Filter cleaning is a whole other story and is done about every 6 weeks. Depending on feeding's and number of fish my friend! Hope that helps!!

Nolan

Jhhnn
06-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Im into this for purely the draining of water.. Nothing else. Filter cleaning is a whole other story and is done about every 6 weeks. Depending on feeding's and number of fish my friend! Hope that helps!!

Nolan

Using the fine ATI sponges as prefilters on my canisters, filter cleaning is pretty much rendered unnecessary. When I tear one down, there's not enough gook to matter, even after 3 months operation. It'd take some ingenuity with a filter that pumps as much water as a FX-5, large sponges, but Jehmco and others stock 'em and all the parts you'd need...

I do the same thing as you with the canister returns- use 'em as poop herders. Having the return pointing straight down into a back corner works well in my tanks, actually creates laminar flow across the bottom when I get it just right...

machine77
06-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Using the fine ATI sponges as prefilters on my canisters, filter cleaning is pretty much rendered unnecessary. When I tear one down, there's not enough gook to matter, even after 3 months operation. It'd take some ingenuity with a filter that pumps as much water as a FX-5, large sponges, but Jehmco and others stock 'em and all the parts you'd need...

I do the same thing as you with the canister returns- use 'em as poop herders. Having the return pointing straight down into a back corner works well in my tanks, actually creates laminar flow across the bottom when I get it just right...
Its a great idea.. It does take some time to get it right, especially if your running multipul FX5, but once you got it, its all down hill from there! Made my life and the hobby alot easier and WAAAAAY MORE FUN! :)

Sharkbait
07-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Will the FX5 have enough power to pump water from the ground (where the FX5 is sitting) up to a countertop and into a sink? What is the tube width required to fit around the aquastop valve? Does anyone put anything else around it to secure it? I'd freak if it shot right off! lol.

Is this method faster than a python? Do I even need a python??? I hear they waste water and have parts that constantly bust. This could really save me some coin. I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

machine77
07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Will the FX5 have enough power to pump water from the ground (where the FX5 is sitting) up to a countertop and into a sink? What is the tube width required to fit around the aquastop valve? Does anyone put anything else around it to secure it? I'd freak if it shot right off! lol.

Is this method faster than a python? Do I even need a python??? I hear they waste water and have parts that constantly bust. This could really save me some coin. I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

HI, yes the FX5 can do that, the top of my tank is about 4 feet higher then my FX5... I use 1" tubing with stainless steel hose clamps on mine.. I dont really like the python for numerous reasons, first is i dont like adding prime right into the fish tank while you fill it up with tap water/sink, thats asking for problems in my eyes. Always use storage containers, fill and add prime then, check it then use, the water company is always using more chemicals then usual at any given time which can cause major problems, many will tell you the same. Hope that helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Nolan

Sharkbait
07-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Always use storage containers, fill and add prime then, check it then use, the water company is always using more chemicals then usual at any given time which can cause major problems, many will tell you the same.

I'm lucky out here to have pretty consistent water. Soft, acidic. Perfect for discus. I've been adding straight from the tap (with dechlor) for a very long time with no problems.

Is there a way to pump water from the sink through the FX5 INTO the tank? Nice to know it can drain fast, but filling it can take just as long.

machine77
07-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Well, if your comfortable with what has work then go for it.. As far as pumping from the sink, no. I pump from my 300 gallon storage container in my garage, pre heated, tested and aged for days, straight to my tank. I just think storage containers are better for so many reasons, like you treat a large amount of water at 1 time and the water is kept at the correct temp and PH. Just my 2 cents!!

Nolan

nc0gnet0
07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I have two fx5's and while I love them I don't see the point in using them for water changes. The fact you got to bottom vac everyday makes it relatively pointless IMHO. It's alot faster for me to use an inline water pump and a garden hose.

machine77
07-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I have two fx5's and while I love them I don't see the point in using them for water changes. The fact you got to bottom vac everyday makes it relatively pointless IMHO. It's alot faster for me to use an inline water pump and a garden hose.

To each there own, this was simply showing that you "dont" have to spend the extra money for a water pump just to do water changes as im sure you and me both have done. Simply use what you already have and it actually works better and faster then any pump and theres no hooking up, dropping a line in ect... I just hook up my spare line to the exhaust, turn on and its a done deal, 70 gallons in less then 5 minutes is great for me.

Nolan

Chad Hughes
07-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I can totally see why you want a rapid drain system. In my 150 I can siphon the entire bottom out and still have 80% of the water left in the tank. It seems to tak forever to do a 50-80% water change by siphon alone. I think I'm going to adapt my system to what you are talking about. Great idea! I've just never taken the time to do it. LOL!

You have any pics?

Best wishes!

Disgirl
07-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I used to use a standard 5/8" garden hose to siphon out the water into the yard. Took forever in my 125. But now I have a 1" hose and I can do a 50% wc in about 5 min. Then I refill from the sink with a drinking water safe hose, add Safe first, and in about 10 min it is all filled up again. Easy as pie! I use a gravel vac to do the sand every couple days, 5 min.
Barb:)

machine77
07-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I can totally see why you want a rapid drain system. In my 150 I can siphon the entire bottom out and still have 80% of the water left in the tank. It seems to tak forever to do a 50-80% water change by siphon alone. I think I'm going to adapt my system to what you are talking about. Great idea! I've just never taken the time to do it. LOL!

You have any pics?

Best wishes!

I just got my tank up in running tonight chad, i can send you some pics to your email if you'd like? Im still learning how to resize pictures and need to re open my photobucket.. lol

Chad Hughes
07-10-2010, 01:27 AM
I just got my tank up in running tonight chad, i can send you some pics to your email if you'd like? Im still learning how to resize pictures and need to re open my photobucket.. lol

Great! Send me some pics! sandiegodiscus@gmail.com

Best wishes!

machine77
07-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Great! Send me some pics! sandiegodiscus@gmail.com

Best wishes!

Ok great.. Ill do that tomorrow after work buddy!

machine77
07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Pictures sent Chad!

machine77
07-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Here are some pictures of my setup, my tank was just started the night befor so thats why my wirering is a mess, once its cycled and ready for fish i will clean it up alot more!! Hope you enjoy!!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/sw1tchy/tank2.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/sw1tchy/tank3.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/sw1tchy/tank4.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/sw1tchy/tank6.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/sw1tchy/tank5.jpg

RudeDogg1
07-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I used to use a standard 5/8" garden hose to siphon out the water into the yard. Took forever in my 125. But now I have a 1" hose and I can do a 50% wc in about 5 min. Then I refill from the sink with a drinking water safe hose, add Safe first, and in about 10 min it is all filled up again. Easy as pie! I use a gravel vac to do the sand every couple days, 5 min.
Barb:)

do you not pre heat you water then?

machine77
07-18-2010, 12:53 PM
do you not pre heat you water then?

Yes i do, i have a 275 gallon storage container that is heated to 85 degrees and is airated, i just pump from this source to my tank when doing water changes.

Pantherman
01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I thought this might be the right place to ask, can the FX5 "suck" water from a storage tank for WC's?

I am looking at attaching a T with 2 valves to the intake and outake, on one having a line going to the tank and a line going to a drain outside and on the other having a line from the tank into the same hose going to the storage tank (same line that goes outside would be moved to have the end in the storage tank).

To carry out WC's i should be able to open the valve going from the outake to the hose then shut the line going to the tank. Once enough water is drained, open the line back into the tank and close the line going to the hose. The hose would then be "charged" with water. Then i would open the valve on the other side to let water into the FX5 from the hose and close the one coming from the tank, once filled i would then open the line from the tank and close the one from the hose.

In order to not over load the pump I could have the storage tank at the same height as the fish tank (though this may not be nessisary). If it works i should then be able to carry out a WC in around 15mins (at a guess, i have a 120gal tank 440Litres and assuming a 30% WC) This way I should not need to turn off the FX5 at all. (the FX5 limitations on hose length are due to head pressure only, not length. However I am not 100% about this and am hoping someone has done this before)

Once completed i would turn off the valve on the far end of the hose, roll it up and put it under the tank with the FX5 (with the line still charged for next time).

I am intending on going to the hardware store for parts tommorow and to see if it works, if anyone has tried this or thinks it will not work/my logic is flawed it would be greatly appreciated if you can let me know before i go and waste time :P

If my description doesnt make sense please let me know, I might be able to post a few of the sketches that i did in order to further explain.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this :)