View Full Version : Basics to posting pictures on SD using PhotoBucket

David Rose
06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Here's some basics for using PhotoBucket.com (http://photobucket.com/)

1. Set up your free account following the sites instructions.

2. Look for the "Upload Images and Videos" button in the middle of the page. Just below it is the line:

Tip: Hold down CommandCTRL to select multiple files. (more options) (javascript:void(0);)

Click on the "more options" to set/change your image size settings, which should be already defaulted to upload your pictures at 640x480 automatically. This resizes your photos for you and saves time and 640x480 is a good size that will fit in your message posts.

3. While you're still in the "more options" section , you can uncheck the box for adding tags to save you time. This is a matter of preference.

"Add more tags and descriptions after upload."

4. Now that you have your options set, you can go back to the "Upload Images and Videos" button to choose the photos you want to share from your computer. You'll need to know the folder location where you have your photos stored and/or locate them using the pop-up file folder search dialogue box that will appear after clicking on the mentioned button.

5. You can hold your "cntrl" key down to pick multiple photos at once as long as they are in the same folder location. Once you've selected the one(s) you want, click on the "Open" button on the bottom right of the dialogue box and your pictures will start to copy from your computer onto the PhotoBucket website. Either now or later you can create various folders so organize your photos into "Albums". As you become familiar with PhotoBucket you can also set sharing/privacy control options and add passwords.

6. Once you see that your photos are loaded and are visible on the PhotoBucket website, you can move your computer cursor to hover a picture you want to share. Below the picture you a drop down box will appear with various options that you have in order to share pictures. Most of us on Simply Discus use the bottom option that starts with "". If you click on the line once it will highlight the entire line that you need. While highlighted, hold down your "Ctrl" and letter "C" at the same time to Copy the link.

Here's an example of how an Image Link will look that you will highlight and copy as mentioned above: [I](without the asterik after the "jpg")
[IMG]http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/20100609125G066.jpg*

7. Now here's the trick... you will need to have a separate browser window or tab opened and be logged into Simply Discus at the same time. You will also need to start a thread or "reply to" to create a new post. Wherever you want your picture to appear, click in the message box once and the you're ready to Paste your link by again holding down your "Ctrl" key and this time hold down the letter "V" key at the same time. This in short is your copy/paste process and you full [IMG] link should now appear. Keep in mind you won't actually see your picture yet until you finish and "submit" your posted message.

Here's is what what the Image Link from above will look like once you paste it, finalize your message and submit your post on Simply or elsewhere:
[IMG]http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/20100609125G066.jpg

8. Repeat the process above until you have all the links copy/pasted from PhotoBucket into your Simply Discus message. Don't forget to type a description message should you wish to tell us about your photos.

[I]PLEASE NOTE: If you ever delete, rename, or move a picture from your PhotoBucket account, it will break the link to any photos you've published on Simply Discus or elsewhere and all that will remain is an empty ugly box that will make your remaining SD post meaningless. :mad: - If you run out of storage room, just create another free PhotoBucket account :D

Hope this helps!
David

Chad Hughes
06-17-2010, 10:53 PM
David,

Great post!

I believe we have a sticky!

Al? :D

Best wishes!

acroken
06-18-2010, 07:52 AM
David. great post. I know this is going to be a great reference to alot of people. Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out.

Kenny

Discus-n00b
06-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Agreed. Good post. Simple and easy.

David Rose
06-19-2010, 07:42 PM
:) Thanks!