PDA

View Full Version : can my sand be cleaned again?

3dees
06-18-2010, 09:42 AM
when I do my water changes I use a python with the large end taken off. I need to get under the branches so I just use the hose. the problem is I suck up sand and it collects in the laundry tub. I now have about 7 or 8 lbs in a bucket. being that the washer empties into this sink also is there a way to wash the sand to use again or just dump it ? I use caribsea sand and it's a dollar per pound. was going to just throw it out but thought maybe I can clean it.

TankWatcher
06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi

Every 6 months or so, I remove my sand & wash & boil it, before putting it back in the tank. I haven't had the laundry tub/ soap issue you have though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Rose
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I would think it would need to be disinfected, soaked, and rinsed a number of times in a dedicated clean 5 gallon bucket or the like.

Perhaps going forward you could set a bucket within the sink to drain your tank water in to it and let the water overflow into the drain. When the washer drains, it won't come in contact with the sand.

babakaty
06-18-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't know how many dicus you have or what they cost, but I would ask myself if it's worth taking a chance for $7-8 worth of sand?

dbfzurowski
06-18-2010, 04:28 PM
I would think it would need to be disinfected, soaked, and rinsed a number of times in a dedicated clean 5 gallon bucket or the like.

Perhaps going forward you could set a bucket within the sink to drain your tank water in to it and let the water overflow into the drain. When the washer drains, it won't come in contact with the sand.

good idea

Jhhnn
06-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Running the tank drain into a bucket is good for future reference.
The bucket could be cut down pretty short so as to maintain "fall" in the siphon, even screened on top to help contain the sand...

Sand that's been washed with the washing machine discharge? Pitch it, imo...

3dees
06-19-2010, 08:06 AM
no I will not take a chance on fouling the tank. I'll dump what I have and try the bucket for the discharge. I tried to do that with a deep bowl but the water pressure still pushed the sand over. just thought I might be able to clean and re use. with what I've invested in this tank already, it's not about the 20.00 for a new bag. no one around here carries it so I have to order it.
bit of a pain but if thats what I have to do' thanks everyone.

DerekFF
06-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Eh, theres plenty of people out there who grew up eating worms and chewing on paint chips that had lead in it and they all turned out very normal producing members of society lol. I think a few good rinsings and or a boiling and rinsings would be fine. I think we all act like our fish are made of glass and treat them as such.

TankWatcher
06-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Pitching is safest (no risk at all then) & it's probably the way I would go.

I think it makes a difference if:-

* the sand was merely in a tub where that tub from time to time has soapy water in it, but no soapy water was there at the same time as the sand.

* the sand was actually in the tub at the time that the washer emptied into the tub

* There was residue of soap suds in the tub at the time that the sand entered.

Still, why risk it? If something was to go wrong with your discus in the next little while, even if it was unrelated to the soap, you'd always be left wondering.

tcyiu
06-26-2010, 01:08 AM
no I will not take a chance on fouling the tank. I'll dump what I have and try the bucket for the discharge. I tried to do that with a deep bowl but the water pressure still pushed the sand over. just thought I might be able to clean and re use. with what I've invested in this tank already, it's not about the 20.00 for a new bag. no one around here carries it so I have to order it.
bit of a pain but if thats what I have to do' thanks everyone.

3dees,
What I would do is to rinse really, really well, and let dry. Set aside.. Whenever you do a water change, grab a handful and add it back into your tank. THEN change water. The idea is that even if there is residue, it will not shock the system, but get slowly washed away.

The thing about soap and detergents is that they are chemically very attracted to water molecules. Rinsing them really well will get rid of most of the chemicals.

If you use a lot of bleach in your wash, you can also dechlorinate the sand as well.

However, if you are inclined to put all sorts of other chemicals in your wash, fabric softeners, pre-wash, etc. I'd be a lot more leery of putting it back in the tank.

Just my two cents.

Tim