PDA

View Full Version : Any good source for rams?

vss
06-19-2010, 08:09 AM
I'd like to get some community fish like rams and corys for my discus tank, but don't know if there is any good source to find quality ones online. The LFS's in my town do have some nice ones occasionally, but the overall health condition of the stores always scares me:(...Does anyone know any good sources for ram, cory, or other small community fish? Thanks!

Best,
Xiaofei :)

birdog
06-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Go to the GCCA there is one breeder of rams there that ships from the chicago area, don't know about the quality, but I would trust a breeder far more than I would a LFS.

Regards
David

DerekFF
06-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Dont have much info for ya, rams are so hit and miss ive experienced on survival. Its like 50/50 if they croak or thrive. No middle ground with these guys!

vss
06-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Go to the GCCA there is one breeder of rams there that ships from the chicago area, don't know about the quality, but I would trust a breeder far more than I would a LFS.

Regards
David

Thanks David. I found the post and it sounds a good deal to me :)

-Xiaofei

Northwoods Discus
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
I have ram fry that are 2.5 months old and are ready to start being sold. This breeding involved a "wide" body female and produced some different body types. They are unique. I am not one for the abnormal shaped fish. I acquired the original female at a LFS and males from a ram and discus breeder. The group has a variation of shapes from longer to shorter and "fatter". The intermediate shape is very handsome. The short bodied shape is unique. They are getting good color and a few have even shown some pairing.
I have not shipped fish yet but I am set up to Fed X and am willing to try. I will post some pictures of the group.
There were a couple of other individuals interested in rams before. They were not quite ready at that time. I need to pick out a couple to keep for myself and then they are ready to go.
$30.00 for a group of five plus shipping costs.
The discus fry are 2 months and BDxBC cross. Available in the future.

birdog
06-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Hey Northwoods, some terrific looking rams you've got there, any pics of the parents?

I am very envious of you, I have four pairs that alternate laying eggs all the time but I still can't manage to get free swimmers.

Regards
David

rly
06-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Nice looking group of babies,i to would like to see parents of both rams and discus,i am in Toledo,were abouts in mid mi
thanks
ron

Northwoods Discus
06-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I have some pictures of the discus dad in the breeding threads under cobalt what do you think. I think there are some pics of both in the black background thread. I will try to post some more pics here. I have some ram picks and I will try to post them later.
I am in Mount Pleasant, MI which is right in the middle. The rams are coloring up and some are pairing off so I am ready to start selling them. Thanks for the comments.

3dees
07-08-2010, 10:12 AM
John @ snookn21 has blues and golds.